Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Fix TSB (Pre 8/20 build trucks)

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
Still fighting to get the tsb done while I am wait on scr parts(also backlogged). So, if they eventually decide to perform the tan, I’ll have to wait on those part, another trip to dealer, etc.

i did test drive a gmc last week. Almost froze me to death...

Phil T

Reaction score
I picked up my truck today after having the TSB done. It took 7 days at the dealer due to a heavy workload and lack of techs. Driving home, the A/C problem seems fixed. I did not experience any issues with dash rattles or other problems. I will have a closer look over the next few days.

Phil T

Reaction score
Another update to having the TSB for the A/C done. Some of my changes to the BCM I made with AlfaOBD were changed back to factory at the dealer. I had to go back in and re-enable Trailer TPM, fuel capacity, and Aux camera. Apparently, the service tech had to reapply the factory sales codes after doing the A/C TSB. Not a major problem, just an irritant. I am still waiting for the trailer tire setup screen to show up in uconnect. This weekend, I will connect up the trailer to check that everything works again.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Another update to having the TSB for the A/C done. Some of my changes to the BCM I made with AlfaOBD were changed back to factory at the dealer. I had to go back in and re-enable Trailer TPM, fuel capacity, and Aux camera. Apparently, the service tech had to reapply the factory sales codes after doing the A/C TSB. Not a major problem, just an irritant. I am still waiting for the trailer tire setup screen to show up in uconnect. This weekend, I will connect up the trailer to check that everything works again.

I guess I should check mine, but no indication they reset or updated the BCM.

thestuarts

Reaction score
The TSB replaces the entire HVAC box, so they are built different somehow.

I thought @thestuarts made a post showing the box and perhaps some comment about the blend door(s) or chamber. They did something to isolate the evaporator(?) to prevent a heat exchange into the airbox.

I think most folks in dryer climes don't see as big an issue as others.

Here is a link to my post you mentioned:

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
So... had the A/C TSB performed on the truck and picked it up today.

93 degrees when I jumped into the truck.
Temp seems to feel about the same blowing out of driver/passenger vents (before passenger side was noticeably 'colder') so I guess that's a plus.

Pressing AUTO no longer turns on a turbine. Fan Speed 1-2-3 are still useless and I have no idea why it is even an option.. I mean even 4 is pretty weak/pathetic.
Pressing Recirculate seems to increase indicated fan speed... Max AC seems to do what AUTO used to do.

It is only a 30 minute ride to the the house from the dealer and while the AC seemed cooler, it still isn't cold.
It was set to MAX AC, LO, and max fan speed... while an improvement, it is certainly not significant... will wait and see how it is when summer fully rolls around here in Flori-duh.

I'm still thinking I may have to put in that valve...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So... had the A/C TSB performed on the truck and picked it up today.

93 degrees when I jumped into the truck.
Temp seems to feel about the same blowing out of driver/passenger vents (before passenger side was noticeably 'colder') so I guess that's a plus.

Pressing AUTO no longer turns on a turbine. Fan Speed 1-2-3 are still useless and I have no idea why it is even an option.. I mean even 4 is pretty weak/pathetic.
Pressing Recirculate seems to increase indicated fan speed... Max AC seems to do what AUTO used to do.

It is only a 30 minute ride to the the house from the dealer and while the AC seemed cooler, it still isn't cold.
It was set to MAX AC, LO, and max fan speed... while an improvement, it is certainly not significant... will wait and see how it is when summer fully rolls around here in Flori-duh.

I'm still thinking I may have to put in that valve...

I was working on the truck today and was pretty disappointed.

That said, I only used high idle and didn't drive it.

Same experience on the fan speeds, doesn't seem to matter auto or max A/C or recirc, none seem to affect the fan speed.

Branog

Reaction score
I picked up my '19 3500 yesterday after having the TSB completed. I say much colder air than before, still doesn't match the cold air from our '16 Lexus, but it did improve. I say there is also more air flow. No issues with any rattles from the dash either. Any idea how long before the smell of coolant will go away?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I was working on the truck today and was pretty disappointed.

That said, I only used high idle and didn't drive it.

Same experience on the fan speeds, doesn't seem to matter auto or max A/C or recirc, none seem to affect the fan speed.

For me, the fan speed seems higher on Recirculate and MAX AC.

I picked up my '19 3500 yesterday after having the TSB completed. I say much colder air than before, still doesn't match the cold air from our '16 Lexus, but it did improve. I say there is also more air flow. No issues with any rattles from the dash either. Any idea how long before the smell of coolant will go away?

I guess it depends on your weather but I don't know that I'd say the air is *much* colder, but it is better...
I didn't have any coolant smell at all... so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Well, seems like it’s hardly worth the effort so far. With full ceramic tint helping a bit, I feel like my a/c is adequate but not super great. I’ll probably just live with it.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Well, seems like it’s hardly worth the effort so far. With full ceramic tint helping a bit, I feel like my a/c is adequate but not super great. I’ll probably just live with it.
Come July/August, IR rejection film is likely gonna happen.

pat s

Reaction score
So I decided I wasn't going to let the dealer rip my dash out for no reason and I came across this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092YVQS7K or, you can find it by searching for "Muzzys A/C Hack Kit". For 20 bucks you really can't go wrong! I live in AZ and we're almost up to 100 degrees here already and this made a world of difference! I no longer want to get rid of my truck.

Attachments

• achack page.jpg
    achack page.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 98
  • achack.jpg
    achack.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 92

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
So I decided I wasn't going to let the dealer rip my dash out for no reason and I came across this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092YVQS7K or, you can find it by searching for "Muzzys A/C Hack Kit". For 20 bucks you really can't go wrong! I live in AZ and we're almost up to 100 degrees here already and this made a world of difference! I no longer want to get rid of my truck.
Thanks for volunteering to do a write up and review for us :D

steve49

Reaction score
Does adding the valve create a problem with the flow of coolant through out the vehicles system?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Does adding the valve create a problem with the flow of coolant through out the vehicles system?
My understanding is that it will not... it just stops it from entering the heater core.
By installing the valve, you stop hot coolant from entering the core which means, little/no heat and your defrost probably won't work (no heat) provided you entirely shut the valve.

This is something I'll look into once the warranty is up.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Update on my TSB, mostly in town driving... again, seems better but not significantly so.

However, this past weekend I took it up on the Interstate and starting at about 60 there was a 'whistling' sound.
It wasn't the mirrors or the windows as it never made that sound before... I played with the climate controls and adjusting fan speed, toggling between regular AC, MAX AC, Recirculate, and AUTO.
Nothing changed the 'whistling' sound... but, once I turned *off* the AC, the sound went away. Tried it a couple of times and every time the AC was on, the whistling would return.

Truck was returned to the shop and apparently it is a bad blend door that isn't closing properly... new part on order and I should have the truck back by late tomorrow or Sat.
I guess we will see if this bad blend door was also contributing to my perception of the AC only working marginally better.

Last edited:

Cbc

Reaction score
On my 2019 with 6.4 the coolant line from the heater core runs through the oil cooler. I did an hour or so test drive with the valve closed the engine oil temp is about 5 degrees warmer than with it open. Not sure how much difference it would make on long hauls especially pulling something.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
So, got the truck back from the dealer, housing with blend door and sealing replaced.

Drove home from work this afternoon, temp in the high 80s, low 90s and unseasonably dry, so not terribly humid.
I will say, the AC seems to work *much* better than when I first got it back, so apparently there was an issue with the first housing they installed.
I am cautiously optimistic that this will be an improvement... but that will have to wait for July/August when it is in the high 90s and 80%+humidity.

2019_Ram

Reaction score
So, is there a way for us to verify the parts the dealer replaced? I know what they said was replaced on the service ticket. You know the old saying, trust but verify... So far, after the TSB, mine is not significantly different, therefore I want to verify what parts were actually put in.

Phil T

Reaction score
I marked my housing before taking it in. When I picked it up, no marks were there so it was replaced.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread