Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Fix TSB (Pre 8/20 build trucks)

Nick

Reaction score
Yeah, my AC works well enough that I’m not letting some minimum wage tech rip my dash apart. That never ends well in my experience.
I don't know why you call them minimum wage . they are far from it . Most of those folks go thru extensive training on systems . Like any other profession you have your 10%. Making disparaging remarks implying they are all low skilled clowns making 10 bucks an hr is really a disservice to all the techs that are knowledgeable and work hard to fix problems most of us can't even begin to address much less fix !

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Wow, 7 hours of labor billed. I assume they will test the AC first to see if it has the problem. Right now I am OK with my AC so I don't think I will have it looked at. I haven't used it in hot and humid weather, just hot and dry. I imagine that can make a difference.
5.6 hours for HD,gas or Diesel,less for a 1500,not 7.0 hours

Daybreak

Reaction score
I called my local dealer for an appointment to do all the recalls, and to work the drivers side hood wind movement issue. They took the VIN, and I also said the A/c was crap, so they also got in all the parts for that too. I dropped it off, they had it for 3 days.
I can say my A/C is fixed. It works how I expect it too. All recalls completed without any other issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I brought my in last month for them to confirm the TSB was applicable to my truck and it was. THey ordered the parts and said it would be a while beofre they got them. Finally they reported the parts were in and i brought it back in last week for them to install them. Now the service rep is saying my schrader valve is leaking and that's the reason for the poor AC performance. I've tried to eplain that the TSB relates to the design of the fan box and that's what i want fixed but no one will listen. it's been in the shop since wednesday of last week (5 days) waiting on a schrader valve! is there some reason they dont want to complete this AC TSB?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Likely the reason is because of cost... warranty work is paid at a lower rate than what they charge for 'normal' service work.

jadmt

Reaction score
probably did one and found it took them twice as long as ram said it would so they are stuck eating the labor costs. I would say dealerships that do a bunch probably get pretty fast at it but dealerships that only do a few end up taking much longer. I have p!ss poor a/c but hate the thought of someone who is not capable tearing everything apart.

jupp0r

Reaction score
Little update from me: after my dealer wouldn't perform the TSB, I called RAM care and they opened a case. This seems to have done the trick and my truck is going in tomorrow to have the TSB performed. Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Little update from me: after my dealer wouldn't perform the TSB, I called RAM care and they opened a case. This seems to have done the trick and my truck is going in tomorrow to have the TSB performed. Fingers crossed.
I took my truck in twice requesting the TSB performed. After the second trip they finally ordered the parts...when I brought it back to have all the parts installed they then tried to convince me the Schrader valve was bad and said the tsb wasn't necessary!
Finally got the dealership GM on the phone and explained the Schrader has nothing to do with the TSB. I explained the fan box was the issue and the routing of the heater hose. He finally agreed to do it. After 2 weeks finally got the truck back...and I think the AC feels colder. But who knows..after all this BS I want to sell the truck and move on. Nothing's easy it seems.

jupp0r

Reaction score
I took my truck in twice requesting the TSB performed. After the second trip they finally ordered the parts...when I brought it back to have all the parts installed they then tried to convince me the Schrader valve was bad and said the tsb wasn't necessary!
Finally got the dealership GM on the phone and explained the Schrader has nothing to do with the TSB. I explained the fan box was the issue and the routing of the heater hose. He finally agreed to do it. After 2 weeks finally got the truck back...and I think the AC feels colder. But who knows..after all this BS I want to sell the truck and move on. Nothing's easy it seems.
Have you tried calling RAM care? They took really good care of convincing my dealership to perform the repairs.

Reaction score
well its completed now so it's too late to call them, but i appreciate the advice. Probably shoulda called when this all first started.
But i think the AC actually does feel colder and cools the truck down faster. I normally leave work and it's 95 degrees F. I leave the AC on MAX COLD the whole way home which is about 35-45 min drive. Yesterday it was slightly cooler at 92 but i had to turn off the MAX COLD about 1--12 mins into my drive b/c it was getting cold in the cab. First time i've ever done that, so i'm calling it fixed.

jupp0r

Reaction score
Here's an update from me:

I had the TSB done last week to my 2020 Power Wagon and I took the truck to Sequoia National Park over labor day weekend, which for me involves driving through the central valley. The AC performed MUCH better in 106ºF conditions than it did before the TSB was performed. I could set it to 70ºF and it did not have to blow on full speed but still cooled down the truck. I still think it's not as ice cold as other vehicles, but it went from dysmal to ok, I'd consider my AC fixed.

No squeaks from the dash so far, but I haven't taken it offroad yet.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My dash seems to have a rattle on dirt roads, but it could have been present before I suppose.

Left front HK speaker grill...

Razzman

Reaction score
I’m seriously pissed right now! I took the truck to the local dealer two weeks ago with these a/c issues. Unbalanced air flow, doesn’t get that cool, can’t regulate and suddenly blowing hot air instead of cold. They had it two days and said it was fixed. Went on a trip over Labor Day and it worked ok but unbalanced. Went to leave after sitting for five days and absolutely no a/c! Tried every trick to get it to work and nothing! Had to drive back windows down 4 1/2 hours in 103 degree heat! Dogs were overheating and had to stop many times to water and cool them down. And to add injury to insult a bee flies in and stings the wife, oh boy that went over well.

I got back Thursday afternoon and called the service dept, no answer had to leave a message. No return call by this morning so called again at noon, same thing. No return call. I’ll be there at 8am tomorrow morning and the GM is going to hear about this crap. I’ll be handing him the TSB and stating get it done, I don’t want this truck back until it’s fixed right!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m seriously pissed right now! I took the truck to the local dealer two weeks ago with these a/c issues. Unbalanced air flow, doesn’t get that cool, can’t regulate and suddenly blowing hot air instead of cold. They had it two days and said it was fixed. Went on a trip over Labor Day and it worked ok but unbalanced. Went to leave after sitting for five days and absolutely no a/c! Tried every trick to get it to work and nothing! Had to drive back windows down 4 1/2 hours in 103 degree heat! Dogs were overheating and had to stop many times to water and cool them down. And to add injury to insult a bee flies in and stings the wife, oh boy that went over well.

I got back Thursday afternoon and called the service dept, no answer had to leave a message. No return call by this morning so called again at noon, same thing. No return call. I’ll be there at 8am tomorrow morning and the GM is going to hear about this crap. I’ll be handing him the TSB and stating get it done, I don’t want this truck back until it’s fixed right!

I'm confused.

Did you take it in to have the TSB work completed the first time? Did the dealer agree they would perform the TSB, or just "look at it"?

Razzman

Reaction score
I'm confused.

Did you take it in to have the TSB work completed the first time? Did the dealer agree they would perform the TSB, or just "look at it"?
No I didn't as I didn't know about it, but since I did present the same issues to them they should have seen the TSB on it. If they did they didn't mention it or pursue any further than adding refrigerant to the system and calling it a day. Doing that sure didn't address the fact that it suddenly blows hot air and then works correctly later.

John Jensen

Reaction score
No I didn't as I didn't know about it, but since I did present the same issues to them they should have seen the TSB on it. If they did they didn't mention it or pursue any further than adding refrigerant to the system and calling it a day. Doing that sure didn't address the fact that it suddenly blows hot air and then works correctly later.
If they did the TSB it would show that on the invoice

woody284

Reaction score
I took mine back in for the second investigative appt August 9th. They said they would do it but had to order parts. They said they were on back order. Still no word

Razzman

Reaction score
If they did the TSB it would show that on the invoice
They didn’t. In fact I took it back this morning and had a talk with the service manager and his lead guy about. Handed them the TSB and they looked surprised, especially when I said I had these same exact symptoms. The issue (as they verified) is the service writer didn’t instruct the shop on exactly what I said was wrong, he just modified to a shorter version which was “owner states ac not cooling” uh no that’s not what I told them and wrote down for them. This is definitely the last time I use their early bird drop off service. Anyway they are ordering the parts and it will be done. In the meantime they going to try and get the ac back working since you can’t drive without it here right now.

Users who are viewing this thread