Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Fix TSB (Pre 8/20 build trucks)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
TSB #24-001-20

UPDATED TSB: The current TSB is 24-013-21
(new parts list)

1606282277789.png

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone found the full TSB.

It's a gut/replace of the HVAC box, a cable, and some extra parts (foam tape).

7 hour job on a Diesel.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
NOTE: The floor ducts will need to be removed for ease of removal and assembly.
NOTE: Record the radio presets prior to this repair so they can be programmed back in for
the customer after the repair is performed.
1. Remove the HVAC housing. Refer to the detailed service procedures available in
DealerConnect> Service Library under: Service Info>24 Heating
and Air Conditioning /
Distribution / Housing, HVAC / Removal.
2. Disassemble and reassemble the HVAC heater housing, Distribution housing, wire harness, and
HVAC module with the updated parts from the service kits (follow the parts table on which
parts are needed for the vehicle being repaired). Refer to the detailed service procedures
available in DealerConnect> Service Library under: Service Info>24 Heating
and Air
Conditioning / Distribution / Housing, HVAC / Disassembly and Assembly.
NOTE: Reuse the original air inlets, heater core, and ducts. A new wire harness is needed
for dual zone units only.

NOTE: The original heater core will need to be transferred to the new heater housing and
foam tape added per Isheet
provided if not already present. The new housing
includes a new evaporator and all other seals needed.

3. Transfer the Diesel PTC heater unit (if applicable).
4. Transfer the HVAC control module. Refer to the detailed service procedures available in
DealerConnect> Service Library under: Service Info>08 Electrical
/ 8E Electronic
Control
Modules / Module, HVAC / Removal and Installation.
• This may also require replacement and proper routines to be performed.
5. Install the HVAC housing. Refer to the detailed service procedures available in DealerConnect>
Service Library under: Service Info>24 Heating
and Air Conditioning / Distribution / Housing,
HVAC / Installation.
6. Program the customer preset radio stations that were recorded prior to start of the procedure.

Attachments

• TSB-24-001-20.pdf
    71.3 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:

steve49

Reaction score
Wow this looks like quite a job, guessing they're talking about the stuff under the dash behind the glove box. Looks like dash taken apart, seats removed, carpet pulled up to get to floor ducts, and then hopefully a good tech to do the job!

jsalbre

Reaction score
Luckily mine really seems to work ok. I’ve definitely had colder systems, but it did an acceptable job of keeping us comfortable in 100+ temps in Texas this summer.

It doesn’t make sense there would be so much variation between systems unless there was some really bad QC or a run of bad parts, thus necessitating the parts swap out in the TSB. That doesn’t explain new wiring harnesses though.

D

Deleted member 80

They had to pull the dash in my '05 to replace a leaky evaporator under warranty, and I had no damage, nor squeaks/rattles afterward. That was an exceptional dealer, though, and they parted ways with Chrysler during the '08+ economic collapse.

g00fy

Reaction score
I'm a little unclear, maybe somebody can clarify for me, I see that the dual zone trucks are getting a new Harness, but are ALL trucks getting a new HVAC module? I wonder if this will correct the wonky data i was getting out of alfaOBD where they truck was seeing the Driver Temperature setting as the value for the Cabin temperature sensor.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a little unclear, maybe somebody can clarify for me, I see that the dual zone trucks are getting a new Harness, but are ALL trucks getting a new HVAC module? I wonder if this will correct the wonky data i was getting out of alfaOBD where they truck was seeing the Driver Temperature setting as the value for the Cabin temperature sensor.

I read the TSB as a new HVAC box assembly for all. The module is just R&R.

One can only guess as to the dual zone wiring. Perhaps they added something. Perhaps they identified a mis-wired (temp sensors?) Perhaps it's not possible to disassemble without breaking something? Perhaps it's a necessary rerouting?

It's all conjecture unless someone has access to the old/new wiring diagram or physical part.

Bigred6.7

Reaction score
If I want said TSB completed, would I just call my dealer and say I want the A/C TSB fixed/completed? Also does anyone know if dealer is required to provide a loaner/rental car for the period the truck is in for repair? Wife’s lease ran out a couple months back and trying the 1 car deal while we are both working from home due to COVID.

Last question, anyone recommend a dealer in the Salt Lake City area? Just moved out here and do most of my own maintenance work so haven’t stepped in to a service bay out here yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Wow, 7 hours of labor billed. I assume they will test the AC first to see if it has the problem. Right now I am OK with my AC so I don't think I will have it looked at. I haven't used it in hot and humid weather, just hot and dry. I imagine that can make a difference.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I'd never. works well enough and I may be making a move up north within the next year, so getting away from the texas summers would go a long way.

boatdude1

Reaction score
I'd never. works well enough and I may be making a move up north within the next year, so getting away from the texas summers would go a long way.
I went to my dealer today and inquired about this. The parts cannot be ordered until Dec. 12. Then they are estimating 6-10 weeks to get them. I will have a loaner car while this is being done. They did not need to see the truck at all and just ordered the parts. They were unaware of the TSB until I showed it to them.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
my concern is the "care factor" a dealer would provide would never meet my standards unless I was standing there anytime work was being done during r&r. along with the time I'm out of my truck and trying to pull tractors around in a honda accord.

the dealer network & warranty has zero weight, to me. it does fit many peoples needs, and that's 100% okay as well.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Is anyone elses just not blowing hard enough? Mine was cold in AZ summer, just felt that the blower on full was like other cars on medium at best. Here, I see people have temperature of outlet air problems. New HVAC box sounds like it might have something to do with the fan and hence volume.

Standard HVAC controls here.

I'm not going through all that tearing down just for more air volume that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread