Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Fix TSB (Pre 8/20 build trucks)

jakalafus

Reaction score
First day of 95 in AZ and i was getting 58 degree air after the TSB so about 10 degree colder. Just wish I had more blower speed after but it’s the same...

OneWipeCharlie

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if my truck has already had this repair? I bought the truck used so I’m not sure what all was done by the previous owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
My dealer has pretty much refused to do the repair. Working with Ram Cares to try and get this known problem addressed.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine seems to blow a little harder but the driver side still feels warmer than the passenger side. I won't really know until it gets a little hotter here.

The Defrost is also still pitiful. seems it blows in the middle and there's little to no air blowing on either end of the windshield.

They refused to give me a WiTech scan report this time and I'm concerned they didn't do the associated flash update. Smells like antifreeze (expected).

The dealer techs put two cuts in the leather panel surround for the 4x4 switches and for the SECOND time they have touched the passenger side A-pillar trim, they jammed it over the top of the rubber seal and I had to fix it. I did so with the SA standing there and told her it was the second time and that the I, the customer, shouldn't have to QA their work. I just hope I didn't miss something else they messed up.

The first time was to fix a factory install error with the A-pillar trim - the tabs where it meets the dash at the windshield were not clipped in and it had a huge gap. They fixed the gap and summarily FAILED to re-install the panel correctly. <bang head>.

To their credit, they didn't give me a any crap about the NAViKS box or the iDrive that I didn't have a chance to pull out (but was not plugged in). They did moan about my 'aftermarket" accessories when I asked to have the batteries that left me stranded checked out. When I asked why battery protection didn't prevent any so-called drain, I was met with blank stares. that reminds me, I need to check the 2WD-LO to see if they unplugged it.

bigcitymike

Reaction score
I live in a smallish town (pop 50K). Walked up to the SA and briefly talked about my CP4 reliability concerns (they had one in the shop that glitter grenaded getting repaired). They've done about 10 others, so I guess they're getting good at them. Asked if an updated CP3 pump was getting replaced instead of installing another CP4. She said no, and gave me that I know what your going to say next look. So I moved on mentioning that the AC was pretty weak in the cooling department, and I heard there was a TSB to fix the issue. She asked for my VIN and confirmed my info in the computer (I'd been there once for the Emissions flash), then promptly said I'll give you a call when the parts come it and we'll scheduled an appointment. They'll need the truck for 2 days to complete the TSB. No questions asked, didn't even pull the truck into the shop to check it out. Easiest warranty work request I think I've ever experienced.

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
I live in a smallish town (pop 50K). Walked up to the SA and briefly talked about my CP4 reliability concerns (they had one in the shop that glitter grenaded getting repaired). They've done about 10 others, so I guess they're getting good at them. Asked if an updated CP3 pump was getting replaced instead of installing another CP4. She said no, and gave me that I know what your going to say next look. So I moved on mentioning that the AC was pretty weak in the cooling department, and I heard there was a TSB to fix the issue. She asked for my VIN and confirmed my info in the computer (I'd been there once for the Emissions flash), then promptly said I'll give you a call when the parts come it and we'll scheduled an appointment. They'll need the truck for 2 days to complete the TSB. No questions asked, didn't even pull the truck into the shop to check it out. Easiest warranty work request I think I've ever experienced.
That's how I thought my experience would be. Ram Cares tried to explain the difference between a recall and a tsb. Biggest headache I've dealt with as far as getting something done. Especially something that seems like it would be cut and dry.

Last edited:

DrQ

Reaction score
Today is the first 80+ day of the year in northern Colorado, so I just found out my AC sucks. Well to say it sucks is generous, it doesn't get cold at all. On top of that, the "vented seats" do nothing. I know they aren't cooled, just vented, but even on high, I feel absolutely nothing flowing. I can hear the fan turn on, but there is zero flow. Just picked up the truck on 3/13, and I want to love it, but sheesh this is no damn good. First Ram and not at all a good impression. I guess I'm soon to find out if the local service department is any good.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess i should get out and check mine out with it so warm today.

However, working until 0500 on an off-shore gig last night and getting up early to watch my grandson isn't leaving me with a lot of motivation today.

jakalafus

Reaction score
I’ll be curious to see if you get it done, if your fan/blower speed increases at all because mine did not.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I checked mine out a bit today.

The fan blower speed doesn't really seem to have increased overall, but the volume blowing form both driver side vents does seem better. I really don't notice a difference between AC, RECIRC, or MAX AC with the fan speed up on 7 but it was only 75F when I tested. Switching to Auto with the target temp set at 65F. I didn't think to put it to LO to see what it did or even split the temps (Doh!)

The temp as measured with a cheap laser thermometer puts them VERY close to the same now. Around 38-40F on the plastic vent parts on either side, as much as 20F showing with the laser dot far up inside the plunum.

Hopefully this translates to a much improved AC experience in the summer here in central and south Colorado and in New Mexico where we vacation.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Today is the first 80+ day of the year in northern Colorado, so I just found out my AC sucks. Well to say it sucks is generous, it doesn't get cold at all. On top of that, the "vented seats" do nothing. I know they aren't cooled, just vented, but even on high, I feel absolutely nothing flowing. I can hear the fan turn on, but there is zero flow. Just picked up the truck on 3/13, and I want to love it, but sheesh this is no damn good. First Ram and not at all a good impression. I guess I'm soon to find out if the local service department is any good.

My vented seats work great.

Your AC wouldn't be part of this TSB but may be underfilled.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Mine was built 1/20, and in the AZ heat it works great, both the seat and AC. Why would some work great and others not so ? are they not all built with the same design? same parts ?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine was built 1/20, and in the AZ heat it works great, both the seat and AC. Why would some work great and others not so ? are they not all built with the same design? same parts ?

The TSB replaces the entire HVAC box, so they are built different somehow.

I thought @thestuarts made a post showing the box and perhaps some comment about the blend door(s) or chamber. They did something to isolate the evaporator(?) to prevent a heat exchange into the airbox.

I think most folks in dryer climes don't see as big an issue as others.

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Not exciting to hear 2021 trucks still have this issue.......

Reactions: DrQ

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Appointment made... 2 weeks until parts come in...
Bed Step will be replaced at that time as well.

Last edited:

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score

Appointment made... 2 weeks until parts come in...
Bed Step will be replaced at that time as well.
Hello there! Our team would certainly be happy to assist alongside your dealer while addressing your A/C concerns. Please send us a private message with your VIN so that we may determine how to offer the best support during your vehicle service.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

jbncccb

Reaction score
My vented seats work great.

Your AC wouldn't be part of this TSB but may be underfilled.
Agreed, my vented seats blow cold air from the A/C. My butt gets cold after a little while.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread