Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Fix TSB (Pre 8/20 build trucks)

jadmt

Reaction score
it is a bummer not having ac for sure but I started driving in the early 70's and I had a lot of cars without AC over the years. most of my early vehicles were black so they would get plenty hot.

jupp0r

Reaction score
it is a bummer not having ac for sure but I started driving in the early 70's and I had a lot of cars without AC over the years. most of my early vehicles were black so they would get plenty hot.
Depends on where you live. Driving through the desert in the summer without AC can be pretty miserable or downright dangerous.

bigcitymike

Reaction score
Anyone have any pics/video of the TBS getting done, or at least a high level overview of the steps to complete the TSB on a 2019 3500 Diesel?

Razzman

Reaction score
Read the TSB listed in the thread. It shows all parts and describes the work required.

bigcitymike

Reaction score
Just got my truck back from getting TSB 24-001-20 done. Not gonna lie, I'm kinda pissed.

Glad to have the TSB done after it took the dealer more than a week to finish what was supposed to be a 2 day job (warranty rate pays close to 6 hours). The sh!ty part is the cabin is filled with a sweet smelling antifreeze aroma (who needs a Piña Colada air freshener when you got the au naturel antifreeze essence). The passenger side carpet is pretty damp to the touch. After sitting for 7 days, I've discovered it's leaking antifreeze from behind the front wheel. Not sure where it's coming from, but it's dripping off the front of the pinch wield of the cab (just behind the step bar). I didn't notice the drip at first because I parked it off in the yard after I drove it back from the dealer and left it there. Yesterday afternoon, I moved it to the driveway. This morning I noticed the wetness on the ground before I left for work, but just chalked it up to dew dripping off the truck. It really didn't sink in it was antifreeze until later in the day when I got home (the RAM was parked all day). I walked by and noticed the wetness again. Knowing the spot should have evaporated but didn't, I instantly knew what it was.

Originally after the TSB was done, the low coolant light was on, and I reported it to the Service Advisor at that time. Looking at the reservoir, it was in fact low, so they had someone run out and top it off. I ran a few errands and the coolant light came on again. When I got home I took a look at the reservoir and noticed it was low again. I wasn't sure if the cooling system needed to "burp", so the low coolant didn't alarm me at first. I figured I stop back by the dealer and have them top it off again now that any air in the system may have worked itself out. I also noted the antifreeze smell in the cab initially, but chalked it up to it just getting out of the shop. I know they needed fool with the heater core, so I had some expectation of an antifreeze smell.

It's obvious now that there's a leak somewhere, as it's now dripping at a rate of 1 drip per 18 seconds. I moved it to the driveway 30 hours ago and it hasn't been restarted since, yet it's still dripping. I don't know how they're going to get the antifreeze/smell out of the carpet, as it's not going to evaporate anytime soon. When I slid underneath to look for the leak, I noticed at least 4 bolts missing from inner fender well, in addition to a few wheel well molding bolts missing too (they have to go through the Ft Rt wheel well to do the TSB). Not only is it a rework job now, it's shoddy work to boot (and that's what I found in the whole 60 seconds it took me to look for the drip).

It's my first experience with this Ram dealer, and the Service Advisor said they were familiar with the performing the TSB. In fact, there's was another HD Ram in the shop getting the same TSB treatment. So It seemed I had better than a 50/50 chance of it going smoothly.

The AC does blow cooler, so there's that.

Attachments

• 2021-09-13 22_05_51-Window.png
    2021-09-13 22_05_51-Window.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 2021-09-13 23_10_36-Window.png
    2021-09-13 23_10_36-Window.png
    960.7 KB · Views: 28

bigcitymike

Reaction score
Read the TSB listed in the thread. It shows all parts and describes the work required.
I did, and It does to a point, but there lots of gaps in there as well. I don't have access to DealerConnect to know the steps that were left out of the TSB. For a 6 hour job, seems like a lot of details are missing from the TSB.

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
I would imagine a lot of the time is taking apart and rebuilding!

Wow this looks like quite a job, guessing they're talking about the stuff under the dash behind the glove box. Looks like dash taken apart, seats removed, carpet pulled up to get to floor ducts, and then hopefully a good tech to do the job!

Squatch

Reaction score
Just got my truck back from getting TSB 24-001-20 done. Not gonna lie, I'm kinda pissed.

Glad to have the TSB done after it took the dealer more than a week to finish what was supposed to be a 2 day job (warranty rate pays close to 6 hours). The sh!ty part is the cabin is filled with a sweet smelling antifreeze aroma (who needs a Piña Colada air freshener when you got the au naturel antifreeze essence). The passenger side carpet is pretty damp to the touch. After sitting for 7 days, I've discovered it's leaking antifreeze from behind the front wheel. Not sure where it's coming from, but it's dripping off the front of the pinch wield of the cab (just behind the step bar). I didn't notice the drip at first because I parked it off in the yard after I drove it back from the dealer and left it there. Yesterday afternoon, I moved it to the driveway. This morning I noticed the wetness on the ground before I left for work, but just chalked it up to dew dripping off the truck. It really didn't sink in it was antifreeze until later in the day when I got home (the RAM was parked all day). I walked by and noticed the wetness again. Knowing the spot should have evaporated but didn't, I instantly knew what it was.

Originally after the TSB was done, the low coolant light was on, and I reported it to the Service Advisor at that time. Looking at the reservoir, it was in fact low, so they had someone run out and top it off. I ran a few errands and the coolant light came on again. When I got home I took a look at the reservoir and noticed it was low again. I wasn't sure if the cooling system needed to "burp", so the low coolant didn't alarm me at first. I figured I stop back by the dealer and have them top it off again now that any air in the system may have worked itself out. I also noted the antifreeze smell in the cab initially, but chalked it up to it just getting out of the shop. I know they needed fool with the heater core, so I had some expectation of an antifreeze smell.

It's obvious now that there's a leak somewhere, as it's now dripping at a rate of 1 drip per 18 seconds. I moved it to the driveway 30 hours ago and it hasn't been restarted since, yet it's still dripping. I don't know how they're going to get the antifreeze/smell out of the carpet, as it's not going to evaporate anytime soon. When I slid underneath to look for the leak, I noticed at least 4 bolts missing from inner fender well, in addition to a few wheel well molding bolts missing too (they have to go through the Ft Rt wheel well to do the TSB). Not only is it a rework job now, it's shoddy work to boot (and that's what I found in the whole 60 seconds it took me to look for the drip).

It's my first experience with this Ram dealer, and the Service Advisor said they were familiar with the performing the TSB. In fact, there's was another HD Ram in the shop getting the same TSB treatment. So It seemed I had better than a 50/50 chance of it going smoothly.

The AC does blow cooler, so there's that.
Man, that is infuriating. I don’t understand how people can be so sloppy at their job and still have one. There is nothing worse than those mechanics/technicians who take shortcuts cause they figure no one will notice. I’m sure they will make your leak right, but I doubt you can trust them to treat your truck like you would (you know, keep track of all the fasteners, and actually put them back).

bigcitymike

Reaction score
Man, that is infuriating. I don’t understand how people can be so sloppy at their job and still have one. There is nothing worse than those mechanics/technicians who take shortcuts cause they figure no one will notice. I’m sure they will make your leak right, but I doubt you can trust them to treat your truck like you would (you know, keep track of all the fasteners, and actually put them back).
You know I get it, mistakes can happen. I imagine it'll get corrected. Confidence is earned, and right now they're batting a thousand in the mistakes department.

COVID has wrecked everything (besides people health). No one wants to work anymore. The labor pool is about evaporated, and because of that many don't care about their job (if they cared at all before), because they know their job is probability safer than it was 2 years ago. Supply chains are decimated, and there's a big shortage in parts in general (not just automotive). Mix in some inflation (let alone political strife), and the next few years are looking to be fun fun fun. Sorry, back to the topic at hand.

Razzman

Reaction score
UPDATE: mine went back in Tuesday so they could diagnose the non-working A/C. Got a call yesterday afternoon and the SM stated they expect the parts to perform the TSB sometime today and they'll try and have it back to me by Friday night. Told them to take their time and do it right, don't want it rushed and screwed up in any way. We'll see.

bigcitymike

Reaction score
You know I get it, mistakes can happen. I imagine it'll get corrected. Confidence is earned, and right now they're batting a thousand in the mistakes department

Service Adviser states there's an issue with the heater core (wasn't specific as to what), and it has to be replaced. Yesterday she said it was on B/O, then today she stated the heater core should be in next Tue ( 9/21). They are also ordering new carpet to replace the current antifreeze bathed carpet in the truck right now. So yeah, the whole interior is getting ripped out so there's that. :mad:

One thing she mentioned which struck me as odd is she said that the heater core housing and the heater core should have been replaced as a set in her opinion, but Ram doesn't do that. They only offer the new housing. I asked if they've seen this heater core issue developed with other TSB jobs, and she smirked and yes. It's happen before.

Razzman

Reaction score
Update: And I got the call yesterday afternoon that all the parts did not arrive, due Tues/Wed so it's another five days or so in the rental POS, smh. Good thing is I don't drive much so it's not a big deal I guess. Bought the truck in February and it's only got 7300 miles on it, 4000 of them are traveling pulling the trailer.

Razzman

Reaction score
Latest Update: Well got the dreaded phone call again today smh. Seems the first parts go round they received the same housing already in it, not the revised unit. Ordered that and the correct one showed up with a broken tab that's unrepairable! So now they're waiting on another. Sit and wait another week.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Latest Update: Well got the dreaded phone call again today smh. Seems the first parts go round they received the same housing already in it, not the revised unit. Ordered that and the correct one showed up with a broken tab that's unrepairable! So now they're waiting on another. Sit and wait another week.

FWIW, the first housing they sent me had a bad seal... which I found after I took it home so it had to go back for a 2nd week as well... but at at least they are trying to fix the issue vs passing it off as 'fixed'...

Users who are viewing this thread