Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Fix TSB (Pre 8/20 build trucks)

Razzman

Reaction score
I agree. The SM is really great here, he said I won't let it go any less than perfect. It's not like I really have to have it right now anyway, I just miss it lol.

jakalafus

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the Pic. For sure the TSB helped. My only wish at this point is for more blower/fan speed. Need more airflow.

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the Pic. For sure the TSB helped. My only wish at this point is for more blower/fan speed. Need more airflow.
I could not agree more. the AC blows cold after the TSB was performed but the fan speed is still slooow!!! very frustrating.

Razzman

Reaction score
I never really had an issue with the fan speed that I recall, maybe because I was used to the fan speed in my previous '17 1500 Laramie which was about the same. My biggest issues before the total failure were temperature imbalance side to side, not that cool and blowing hot at times when on A/C. After seeing the truck the other day and talking with the mechanic and SM I understand why this happened and why the total replacement is necessary.

bigcitymike

Reaction score
Update on my TSB A/C Fix fiasco. It's been about 5 weeks since TSB was done, At the time, I drove the truck home and parked it for a few days. I noticed it was leaking coolant somewhere on the front passenger side (carpet was soaked), so I sent it back via rollback to the dealer. Didn't want to drive it as the coolant reservoir was empty, and I had no idea how much coolant had leaked out (it was parked on the grass).

Within 1 hour of the truck being hauled off, they called me and said they're ordering a new heater core and carpet set. So the dash has to come out again, and so does the rest of the interior. Good times.

The service manager said they liked to replace the heater core when they do the TSB, but at the time the heater core was on back-order and they thought I needed the truck back. At no point in any of my convo's with the service writer did they indicate they liked to replace the heater core too, giving me the option to put off the initial repair. So, much of this was preventable, which is irritating. So be forwarded.

Looking at the heater core, the inlet and outlet pipes are simply crimped on. So my guess is when the tech is wrangling the heater core out of the dash/firewall to replace the blend box, those outlet pipes gets damage. Inspecting mine, one of the outlet pipe was clearly "loose". Although it was still mounted, you could wiggle it. Missed pics for the dash out phase, but got some with the interior out when they were sopping up the antifreeze.

Attachments

• IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0304.JPG
    508.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    339.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0307.JPG
    IMG_0307.JPG
    464.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    524.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    502.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Razzman

Reaction score
yikes I have been thinking of taking mine if for the tsb but this has me thinking maybe just live with the crappy ac.
As had I until mine totally failed, I had no choice. As I was told any of these affected trucks can have total failure due to the problem.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Check you dash and trim over carefully. They cut the leather 4x4 shift bezel in my truck that I made them replace.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do this for a while, but I think the past 2 weeks have pushed me over the edge. The AC won't kick on cold at all unless I turn it all the way to low, and then I have to wait minutes for it to get even cool, not cold. It's to the point where it works so poorly that the vented seats don't even do anything.

Razzman

Reaction score
Picked it up awhile ago and I must say I was apprehensive what I might find. Well I'm happy to say there's absolutely nothing wrong that I can find! No marks, scratches or leaks of any kind. The A/C blows way colder than before, the auto function actually works automatically now and it even blows harder; and as a bonus it's even quieter! Driving I could not hear any foreign noises or rattles at all, and believe me I tried. The SM delivered on exactly what he said he would! Actually quite refreshing for once! My only complaint was they didn't wash it, can't have everything lol. Back to lovin' this truck!

Razzman

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do this for a while, but I think the past 2 weeks have pushed me over the edge. The AC won't kick on cold at all unless I turn it all the way to low, and then I have to wait minutes for it to get even cool, not cold. It's to the point where it works so poorly that the vented seats don't even do anything.
Pretty much where mine was before the total A/C failure. Get 'er done!

jupp0r

Reaction score
So turns out whoever performed the TSB didn’t reassemble the steering column in my truck correctly. Could have easily killed my wife and kids today, thankfully it only came apart at the inside of the firewall when she was pulling into my driveway.

8f3a7a1834a1bb3c3db11225922a34d5.jpg

This is how I found it when I looked to find out why the steering wheel was turning completely freely.

bc31b09295097ae5b0d11358e0213114.jpg

I assume there is a nut that’s supposed to be on the other side of that bolt? I couldn’t find that nut anywhere, I assume somebody forgot to put it back on after taking apart the dash.

The clock spring is broken now because the wheel got turned too far. Air bag lights and stability control lights are on.

You can imagine my mood.

Please check your steering column after the TSB so this doesn’t happen to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
So turns out whoever performed the TSB didn’t reassemble the steering column in my truck correctly. Could have easily killed my wife and kids today, thankfully it only came apart at the inside of the firewall when she was pulling into my driveway.

8f3a7a1834a1bb3c3db11225922a34d5.jpg

This is how I found it when I looked to find out why the steering wheel was turning completely freely.

bc31b09295097ae5b0d11358e0213114.jpg

I assume there is a nut that’s supposed to be on the other side of that bolt? I couldn’t find that nut anywhere, I assume somebody forgot to put it back on after taking apart the dash.

The clock spring is broken now because the wheel got turned too far. Air bag lights and stability control lights are on.

You can imagine my mood.

Please check your steering column after the TSB so this doesn’t happen to you.
No nut on mine

7F6A8B3F-6060-4E29-A7DB-6D7E448662AF.jpegE642D6C6-9FEE-4812-8966-0E4181484555.jpeg

jupp0r

Reaction score
Sorry I just realized I posted to the wrong thread

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Who ever did that is clueless…. If it were me i would not put the shaft in until im ready to tighten it so things like this dont happen same thing happens with oil changers when they forget to tighten the plug

Users who are viewing this thread