Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Issues? Anyone else

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Some people say their AC works fine... a larger percentage says no. I'm in Central Florida, mid to high 90's with 70%+ humidity most days.
I used to roll the windows down in the afternoon to let the heat out, and about 15 min later the AC was ok, but certainly not cold.
The window visors I installed really help in keeping the interior of the truck cool, bu the AC is still 'weak' as far as I'm concerned.

savaytse66

Reaction score
I have been following this thread with concern that this is something I would be dealing with on my 2500. For those having issues, did it work then degrade over time or never work? My AC is working great currently and obviously hope it stays that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, from day one, mine did not blow cold. I have a second appointment at another dealer next week, even though I know I'm shining my wheels.

savaytse66

Reaction score
So a new issue came to light this morning. Outside air temperature was 52 degrees, and for once, I was actually too cold with the AC on low. I kicked it up to 70 (AC on, recirculation off, face vents only) and drove for 10 minutes (after idling at the bus stop for 10 minutes). By the time I got to work, I was sweating, and I measured 122 and 138 coming out of the vents! Now, 70 has always been a little too warm for me, even in a truck with working HVAC. When Lo gets too cold, I usually found myself cruising at low fan speed and a 64 or 66 set temp. That being said, I'm pretty sure this is NOT normal for a 70 degree set temp.

Out of curiosity, I checked it set to 65 degrees, and the air coming out was 68 and 80 (left and right vent respectively). Closer, but still warmer than the set temp. This tells me there there is definitely a flaw in the thermostat, or computer, or something. Has anyone else seen these issues at more "middle" temperatures?

Attachments

• IMG_20190905_070454.jpg
    IMG_20190905_070454.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20190905_070456.jpg
    IMG_20190905_070456.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 30

jb2

Reaction score
I measured 122 and 138 coming out of the vents! Now, 70 has always been a little too warm for me, even in a truck with working HVAC. When Lo gets too cold, I usually found myself cruising at low fan speed and a 64 or 66 set temp. That being said, I'm pretty sure this is NOT normal for a 70 degree set temp.

Out of curiosity, I checked it set to 65 degrees, and the air coming out was 68 and 80 (left and right vent respectively). Closer, but still warmer than the set temp. This tells me there there is definitely a flaw in the thermostat, or computer, or something. Has anyone else seen these issues at more "middle" temperatures?

Wow! As crazy as that behavior is... it should be useful data for the FCA folks if they're paying attention to your case. Sounds like your blend door (for heater core isolation) was fully opened by your temp setting change. Then once the truck was up to typical operating temps after your normal driving & idling, it was dumping heat into the AC. Outside of the engine block producing that kind of heat, I'm not sure how else the truck would produce 138 degree vent temps at a 70 degree setting.

savaytse66

Reaction score
Wow! As crazy as that behavior is... it should be useful data for the FCA folks if they're paying attention to your case. Sounds like your blend door (for heater core isolation) was fully opened by your temp setting change. Then once the truck was up to typical operating temps after your normal driving & idling, it was dumping heat into the AC. Outside of the engine block producing that kind of heat, I'm not sure how else the truck would produce 138 degree vent temps at a 70 degree setting.

I was able to reproduce this again this morning. I took temps at high fan speed, AC on, Lo temperature, and cycled up to 70 degrees, changing nothing else. The temp quickly went up into the 120/130 neighborhood, depending on the vent. Curiously, this behavior in NOT replicated in the afternoon. Yesterday afternoon, a 70 degree set tempo resulted in almost cool air; still warmer than expected, but not hot.

Dan66

Reaction score
Picked up my 2500 from the dealer today. They checked my AC and stated no issue found. 100 here today in Dallas AC is not horrible except at those times when I stop for a time (at a light or bus stop). As long as I’m rollin down the road I am usually cool enough. When stopped there is a very noticeable increase in temperature coming out the vents - too warm. AC set to Lo and high fan speed. I don’t understand why the sudden increase in temperature while stopped. I’m talking a matter of maybe 10 seconds before it’s noticeable. The temperature increase at stop occurs even after 20 minutes of straight driving then stopping. Seriously frustrated here. As of right now this truck will be gone by next summer. Which will be a several thousand dollar loss. Ok venting over! Lol

Jamco44

Reaction score
Another piece of information on my new 2500 limited AC. I reached out to Rod Romain who was gracious and DM me back. I really appreciated him responding to me so quickly. He had an engineer fly in from Detroit to take a look at my trucks AC. After a week I was contacted by the engineer and he said the truck was operating as they designed it and I could come and get the truck. And driving home in the 95+ heat the AC still was cool at best struggling to reach 60 degree vent temps. In cooler weather or morning or night the AC seems fine but throw a bunch of Texas heat at it and most will ask me if something is wrong with the AC. Anyway apparently this is the way RAM designs ACs for their new 2500. So very disappointing again but I do appreciate the effort put forth by RAM. To say all that my next step I have scheduled is to sell the truck tomorrow as the dealer won't take it back and get as much of my investment back. Truck will move to a cooler climate where hopefully someone will get some use out of it. Will look at the GMCs as they are out and will look at the new F250s coming soon. Wanted to give another update. Thanks for all the comments on this thread.

jb2

Reaction score
After a week I was contacted by the engineer and he said the truck was operating as they designed it and I could come and get the truck.
That must have been disappointing to hear... even when that party line is the expected response. GM certainly takes some heat for their lagging interior on the new models, but they would do well to launch a new commercial campaign with Ram drivers sweating profusely inside their trucks while holding a dealership service report that reads "AC is operating as designed."

The dogfight for #2 may create the best chance for accelerating a real AC solution for current get Ram owners. Fingers crossed!

Dan66

Reaction score
Another piece of information on my new 2500 limited AC. I reached out to Rod Romain who was gracious and DM me back. I really appreciated him responding to me so quickly. He had an engineer fly in from Detroit to take a look at my trucks AC. After a week I was contacted by the engineer and he said the truck was operating as they designed it and I could come and get the truck. And driving home in the 95+ heat the AC still was cool at best struggling to reach 60 degree vent temps. In cooler weather or morning or night the AC seems fine but throw a bunch of Texas heat at it and most will ask me if something is wrong with the AC. Anyway apparently this is the way RAM designs ACs for their new 2500. So very disappointing again but I do appreciate the effort put forth by RAM. To say all that my next step I have scheduled is to sell the truck tomorrow as the dealer won't take it back and get as much of my investment back. Truck will move to a cooler climate where hopefully someone will get some use out of it. Will look at the GMCs as they are out and will look at the new F250s coming soon. Wanted to give another update. Thanks for all the comments on this thread.
This is very disappointing to read. For those of us looking to sell our trucks and brand jump are going to take a serious monetary loss, upsetting to say the least. I attempted this one time so far - loss was going to be $13k after 4 months of ownership. Laramie with the 6.4...paid 54k for the truck. This is a crap load of money and I have actual anxiety in attempting to visit another dealer. Sad I know...

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Anyway apparently this is the way RAM designs ACs for their new 2500.

This is the way they are making the AC for all the RAM Trucks...
I had a 1500 and had the same issue, folks for the last year have been having the same issue over on the 1500 board.

The dealer is not lying when they say the AC is working to spec... it is performing just the way it was designed.
Sadly the specs are pretty crappy and give poor performance...

I think someone over on the 1500 board clamped the heater core hose and found some improvement... I believe the link to that thread has been posted here already.

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
Looked at the GMC last weekend. They blow ice cold. I just hadn't decided if the AC is a deal breaker for me yet. It gets hot where I am, but not as bad as some of you.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I've added the window visors and it makes a huge difference on the interior temp of the truck.
Granted the AC still doesn't blow as cold as I would like, but between the visors, the cooled seat it cools off ok... it hasn't been as horrible jumping into the truck at 3:00pm

Researching some of the 3M Crystalline tint on the windows to reduce heat transfer.

2019_Ram

Reaction score
I would say my AC is barely adequate at best. There is an issue... And could probably be adequately fixed by RAM with an electronic heater core bypass valve, a little bit of wire, and a few additional lines of code. Jumping in the truck and taking off early in the morning, the AC vent temp will dip into the upper 40's and then creep back up to 55-56 as the engine hits operating temperature. It is very consistent in temperature, always settles at 55-56 degrees vent temp. It takes 25+ minutes to get the cabin comfortable in 80-90 degree weather. Much longer than the 10 minute average my 2016 took. I have sweated thru my shirts a number of times while driving and waiting on this truck to cool the cabin down, and every time this happens, I get more and more frustrated with my $80k purchase. I really enjoy the rest of the truck, but the abysmal ac is really starting to wear on me. There is no reason the AC should be this poor in an $80k truck.

I would like to know if we can block off the IN or OUT heater core hose like they are talking about on the 1500's. I know on this truck, 2019 RAM 2500 Diesel, the turbo electronics are water cooled and do not want to attempt to block the heater core if it may block the coolant to the turbo. Is anyone able to confirm blocking the heater core will not have a negative effect on the flow of coolant to the turbo?

Further proof RAM needs to step up to the plate and fix the AC issues, a few days ago, the morning temperature was about 50*. (Attached Picture) I jumped in the truck an took off, AC on, temp LOW, 4 FAN, and it settled on a 54* vent temp 20 minutes into my drive. The issue is that the truck was reporting the outside temperature as 51*. How can a properly working AC system NOT produce vent temps lower than the outside air temp, even in very favorable circumstances? @RamCares I hope you are paying attention to this. My previous 2016 under similar conditions would have vent temps in the upper 30's.

Attachments

• Vent Temps.png
    Vent Temps.png
    951 KB · Views: 29

Dan66

Reaction score
I've added the window visors and it makes a huge difference on the interior temp of the truck.
Granted the AC still doesn't blow as cold as I would like, but between the visors, the cooled seat it cools off ok... it hasn't been as horrible jumping into the truck at 3:00pm

Researching some of the 3M Crystalline tint on the windows to reduce heat transfer.
May I ask what window visors you installed? If this helps I would definitely give a shot.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
OEM visors, should be less than $100... P/N 82215819 if you have a crewcab... it vents quite a bit of heat, and a good sunshade helps.

20190901_083729.jpg

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Let me say that 100% agree that the AC is entirely inadequate... however, I feel that saying it is 'not working' is going to get us no where as it is entirely within the established spec and our concerns will be disregarded. 'Inadequate' (as @2019_Ram stated) is the term we should be latching onto and repeating when we head into the dealer...

Having dealt with outside groups in my old job, the terms used are very important in getting your point across and being understood. If you argue that the AC isn't working, you will lose that fight in a heartbeat as they can show it is working within spec... tell them it is 'Inadequate' and they nothing to fall back to and disregard your complaint.

Jamco44

Reaction score
I like the word inadequate that describes the situation well. I sold my 4 month old RAM 2019 2500 truck to a dealer today definitely at a loss. Was told the longer I waited the greater the loss. My RAM journey was short lived but the inadequate AC was definitely a show stopper for me and my family. I wish all well who are going through this and a word of caution for those looking at the RAMs. Will start the shopping process with other brands. Thx for all the helpful support discussion on this forum.

savaytse66

Reaction score
Just took the truck to a 2nd dealer. They told me the system was not properly recharged by the 1st dealer, so the charged it. I am still getting readings in the low 50s out of the left driver vent and 60 out of the right. That was with high 70 outdoor temp. This is exactly what I expected. So I guess I have nothing new to add, other than my personal experience with the issue.

AndyS

Reaction score
My wife made a comment today that the a/c doesn't blow as cold as the other truck did (11 1500 Big Horn) and her 15 Grand Cherokee. I agree with her. In the mornings going to work it's cold as a freezer. In the afternoons in the sun (70s to 80's temps it's a very noticeable difference. I've also noticed that in the mornings when outside temps are very low, that if I turn the dial up a notch or two from max cold, the air gets very warm quick! Dunno what the answer to this is.

Users who are viewing this thread