Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Issues? Anyone else

brucie

Reaction score
I was driving my 2019 Ram 2500 yesterday when something happened to my A/C that got me thinking. I was on the interstate going a steady 5 mph over the speed limit with the cruise control on. I got hot so I turned on the A/C, after about 10 minutes the air coming out of the vents was not cold but it wasn’t hot either. I was still hot so I turned on the Max A/C. After about 5 minutes the air coming out of the vents really hadn’t changed temperature wise much, the CFMs were there just no cold air. Then I remembered that FCA added the active grille shutters to these trucks. They say they added them to help with the aerodynamics while cruising to help improve the mpg. They say they open and shut based on the engine temperature. So with that thought in mind, I turned off the cruise control and started doing some spirited driving to raise the engine temperature. Once the engine temperature started rising I am assuming the grill shutters must have opened up, because all of a sudden the temperature of the air coming out of my A/C vents plummeted to where they should be for Max A/C. With the A/C condenser being sandwiched between the radiator and these new active shutters, not enough air must be flowing across the condenser for it to do its job properly when the shutters are closed. I’m a Project Manager for one of the big 3 A/C manufacturers so I kind of know my way around A/C systems, BUT... like was mentioned above, I am not familiar with how they plumbed Or programmed the A/C systems in these trucks. Do they have bypass valves that could be causing the issue, if so what kind of program did they write to control the valves?? Since I was driving the truck and I was at highway speeds I was obviously not able to physically watch the shutters operate. This is just my assumption based on my knowledge and also from reading the forums over on the 1500 site. A lot of the people over there have removed their active grill shutters and it seemed to cure a lot of the temperature issues they were having, both engine and A/C issues. And it seems there’s a 50/50 split with some saying they haven’t noticed an mpg drop and some saying they have after removing the shutters. I could be way off base though, just a thought...

All I know is I have a gas 2500 and I don't think there is any active shutter on the radiator and my trucks cools very poorly. It's cold here now, so not an issue, but I hope RAM figures this out before it starts getting hot around here. From what I have read on the issue it has to do with the mixing of warm air. Some are shutting down a heater hose and getting a complete fix. I'm not doing that and just hope they fix it properly. It is very disturbing that this issue continues to drag on.

jsalbre

Reaction score
All I know is I have a gas 2500 and I don't think there is any active shutter on the radiator and my trucks cools very poorly. It's cold here now, so not an issue, but I hope RAM figures this out before it starts getting hot around here. From what I have read on the issue it has to do with the mixing of warm air. Some are shutting down a heater hose and getting a complete fix. I'm not doing that and just hope they fix it properly. It is very disturbing that this issue continues to drag on.

All 2019+ RAM HDs have the active grille shutters.

Ruffone

Reaction score
Like Jsalbre said if you have a 2019 it definitely has the shutters in front of A/C condenser and the radiator. I have the 6.4 hemi gas engine as well and they are there. They are open when the truck is off and you’re not moving so you just probably haven’t noticed them yet.

And like I said this might not be the cause of the issue, but this is what I came up with when the situation appeared on my truck. And it is what I was able to do with the test I did.

brucie

Reaction score
Like Jsalbre said if you have a 2019 it definitely has the shutters in front of A/C condenser and the radiator. I have the 6.4 hemi gas engine as well and they are there. They are open when the truck is off and you’re not moving so you just probably haven’t noticed them yet.

And like I said this might not be the cause of the issue, but this is what I came up with when the situation appeared on my truck. And it is what I was able to do with the test I did.
I wonder if there is an easy way to force them open without removing them. It sure would be easy to test. I am getting air in the mid-50s exiting my vents. It should be mid-40s. My AC will keep you just barely cool enough running at full speed, but even a half hour on the highway necessitates way more fan speed than it should.

Ruffone

Reaction score
I wonder if there is an easy way to force them open without removing them. It sure would be easy to test. I am getting air in the mid-50s exiting my vents. It should be mid-40s. My AC will keep you just barely cool enough running at full speed, but even a half hour on the highway necessitates way more fan speed than it should.
I agree 100%. I haven’t had my truck in the summer months yet so I don’t know how it will do. I’m always hotter than most people so I thrive on the A/C for most of the year, usually freeze everyone out that is riding with me.

The guys on the 1500 forums said that if you remove the shutters you get a trouble code and all sorts of other things happen. On startup the actuator on the shutters opens and closes them to verify they are working properly. There is a shutter delete kit that you can purchase so that you can remove them. The first link is a video showing how it’s done, the second link shows where you can get the kit.

brucie

Reaction score
I agree 100%. I haven’t had my truck in the summer months yet so I don’t know how it will do. I’m always hotter than most people so I thrive on the A/C for most of the year, usually freeze everyone out that is riding with me.

The guys on the 1500 forums said that if you remove the shutters you get a trouble code and all sorts of other things happen. On startup the actuator on the shutters opens and closes them to verify they are working properly. There is a shutter delete kit that you can purchase so that you can remove them. The first link is a video showing how it’s done, the second link shows where you can get the kit.

Cool. Thanks. The link is dead, but that's alright because I'm not deleting anything on my brand new truck. I'll delete the truck before I go the route of changing it like that. Just seems to me the shutters are getting a signal from a sensor somewhere. You would think it would be possible to hack it from that end. Let it open and close when started but just tell it to stay open all the time. I got my truck in early September, which gave me about 30 days max to run the AC in 90 degree temps, but I don't ever remember a time when it seemed to operate correctly during the day. At night with no heat gain, it was fine.

Ruffone

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks. The link is dead, but that's alright because I'm not deleting anything on my brand new truck. I'll delete the truck before I go the route of changing it like that. Just seems to me the shutters are getting a signal from a sensor somewhere. You would think it would be possible to hack it from that end. Let it open and close when started but just tell it to stay open all the time. I got my truck in early September, which gave me about 30 days max to run the AC in 90 degree temps, but I don't ever remember a time when it seemed to operate correctly during the day. At night with no heat gain, it was fine.
I got mine on the 21st of September and it had already cooled off pretty much here in TN.

Yeah, one would have thought that they would have a setting already in the trucks where you could override the shutters. After all, they’ve got a setting so you can turn on and off almost every other thing in these trucks. It’s a simple code they could write in 10 minutes and then push it to our trucks with any software update. We do it all the time with our automated control systems at the company I work for. Give the aftermarket a bit of time and I’m sure they will crack the code and be able to add that option into their engine tuners that are already out there on the market.

JimmyZ

Reaction score
Took my 2019 2500 to the stealership for the second time today, told hem that the temperature is warm on the drivers side and noticeably cooler on the passenger side and when when you have it on dash and floor setting the floor is way cooler. The first time I took it in the “service manager “ blew smoke up my A## and said to turn the recirculating air off and turn the sinc on All the time.. Bull crap I am in N.C. and the temperature outside was 30 degrees and had my truck setting at 66 degrees and it was hot in the cab. See photos for what the report said. BULL POOPYimage.jpg

brucie

Reaction score
I got mine on the 21st of September and it had already cooled off pretty much here in TN.

Yeah, one would have thought that they would have a setting already in the trucks where you could override the shutters. After all, they’ve got a setting so you can turn on and off almost every other thing in these trucks. It’s a simple code they could write in 10 minutes and then push it to our trucks with any software update. We do it all the time with our automated control systems at the company I work for. Give the aftermarket a bit of time and I’m sure they will crack the code and be able to add that option into their engine tuners that are already out there on the market.

You could do so much more with these trucks with just a little programming. For instance my biggest complaint with the 2500 is the mirrors. In particular the passenger side mirror. I have absolutely no idea of what is going on around me there no matter how I adjust the mirror. To make matters worse when a vehicle is visible there it actually looks closer than it really is. I have to confirm every lane change 15 times over and pray I haven't accidentally turned off the blind spot monitoring. One really simple fix for people with cameras in their mirrors would be to turn on the blinker side camera for as long as the blinker were on. That camera gives a better view than the mirror. Having nothing to do with RAM is the lack of features in Carplay, but that is so far off topic, I'll drop it other than to say Apple's lack of creativity since Job's death is very sad.

We have similar climates as I am in a state attached to yours at a corner. I'm a bit skeptical of the whole shutter idea as at least a 100% cause of these cooling problems as I have never witnessed any time when the vehicle would freeze me out. The bad mixing from the heater core makes a lot of sense because when I set the temperature to something like 68, it is very uncomfortably warm. I feel hot air coming from the vents. Sort of hard to describe but it is the poorest AC system I have ever experienced in a vehicle. It is as if there were an extra 15 degree boost coming from an unknown source. Also people who have shut off the flow of coolant to the core, say it fixes it. The good news is it has great heat! Fast to warm up on the gas version and just in case you really want to fry, the seats and steering wheel come on automatically (if desired) when cold. I do think RAM is working on it as their silence tells a lot. These issues have made the press and still we hear nothing. They have one or more technical bulletins that address but don't fix the problem for most, so it is being investigated. Just hope they figure it out before summer. I don't want to sound too sour as it is the most comfortable., feature packed , useful vehicle I have ever owned. I'd live with the AC issues before I'd get another truck on the market now. In my opinion the RAM is 5 years ahead of everyone else. Hope they keep it up.

jakalafus

Reaction score
My dealer today admitted that there is an AC issue and were told a fix is coming however they have not seen anything yet.

brucie

Reaction score
I think there is far more wrong than an AC issue. I just noticed the other day and confirmed today it is simply impossible to regulate the temperature in the winter, without opening the windows. If I have the AC on and set to 60, the air coming out is near 90 degrees. If I set it to "low" it comes out at about 68 degrees, which is where I have had it set most cold days. If I set the system to automatic it isn't as bad, but it is still inaccurate. I really can't take this. I am really getting sick of features I paid for that simply do not work or do not work properly. I have a transmission that randomly stops working in reverse. I have an AC system that will not cool properly and a heater system that will not heat properly. I had to turn automatic wipers off, because they don't work properly. There's the lacking TTPMS that I was told was there. I highly suspect the accident avoidance system isn't working properly. I turned off automatic braking today because the truck is braking by itself at weird times, like when turning. It is a shame, because I really like this truck, but I have had more problems with this 4 month old truck than I have had with my prior 3 vehicles over about ten years.

If someone from RAM reads this. please let me know how I can get in touch with you. Thanks. I need to find another dealer because the dealer I bought this truck from is too far away from my home for me to be going back and forth to/from.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I think there is far more wrong than an AC issue. I just noticed the other day and confirmed today it is simply impossible to regulate the temperature in the winter, without opening the windows. If I have the AC on and set to 60, the air coming out is near 90 degrees. If I set it to "low" it comes out at about 68 degrees, which is where I have had it set most cold days. If I set the system to automatic it isn't as bad, but it is still inaccurate. I really can't take this. I am really getting sick of features I paid for that simply do not work or do not work properly. I have a transmission that randomly stops working in reverse. I have an AC system that will not cool properly and a heater system that will not heat properly. I had to turn automatic wipers off, because they don't work properly. There's the lacking TTPMS that I was told was there. I highly suspect the accident avoidance system isn't working properly. I turned off automatic braking today because the truck is braking by itself at weird times, like when turning. It is a shame, because I really like this truck, but I have had more problems with this 4 month old truck than I have had with my prior 3 vehicles over about ten years.

If someone from RAM reads this. please let me know how I can get in touch with you. Thanks. I need to find another dealer because the dealer I bought this truck from is too far away from my home for me to be going back and forth to/from.

Hi brucie,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your truck. Please know that our team is just a private message away and we are more than happy to provide you with additional support as you work to address your current concerns with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Jamco44

Reaction score
Update on my HD journey. As stated earlier on this thread I ordered last year a 2019 hemi 2500 limited. The A/C was poor at best. In Texas Summer it was unable to cool the cab. 57-61 degree vent temps at best. Gave RAM lots of opportunity to solve including engineers flying down from Detroit. It was a showstopper so sold the RAM as quick as I could and tested the 2020 GMC 2500 Denali and then purchased one. I think the RAM was a really impressive truck and there are some things I miss but the GMC really feels a lot like it and everyone who rides in the GMC loves it. But the A/C is so much better I mean for me no comparison. Vent temps consistently cold if I want cab runs nice and cool quickly. Wanted to share that an HD truck can cool nicely and I do believe RAM will figure this out one day maybe this data point will help some and put some more focus from RAM.

Demaggg

Reaction score
I'm with you..... 55-60 vent temps don't cut it for me either. I never knew that until this summer though as I've never needed to measure automobile vent temps before haha.
55 to 60 degrees across the dash vents , dealer says he got 46? I tested it just the way he left it. 84 out side temp. My 14 Cherokee go’s right to 40. Waiting for a case worker to call me from Chrysler. Has any one had any luck?

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Is this a random problem, or mainly with the 2019s, or mainly with the diesels? My 2020 Laramie 2500 Hemi AC gets cold enough to hang meat. Heat index in Augusta GA was 100 today with humidity you could cut with a knife. I had the temp set at 71 and had to turn it up to 73 after a couple of miles. Now if they could just fix the Anti-Lock Brake, Stability Control, FCW, and Cruise.

KLSU

Reaction score
I have a 2019 2500 Gas and do not have any issues with my AC. It is much better than my old 2011 Ford F-150.

Users who are viewing this thread