Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Uconnect 5 12.0 Glitches

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I'll be picking up my new Big Horn 6.4 at MD this Tuesday.....I wonder how many version of this crappy software have been pushed out since it was built on 1/8. I suppose I'll ask MD to make sure it is up-to-date with the latest beta version.....oops, I'm mean Gold version.
Just the one update released on 2/4/22 since your truck was built. Doesn’t matter if it’s not up to date when you receive it, the dealer can’t force an update. The OTA updates will get to your truck whenever your VIN comes up.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Just the one update released on 2/4/22 since your truck was built. Doesn’t matter if it’s not up to date when you receive it, the dealer can’t force an update. The OTA updates will get to your truck whenever your VIN comes up.
It baffles me how a 2-gig update is sent OTA as the only way to update, knowing there are lots of locations where internet signals are extremely low, if non-existent, and they expect the updates to complete just fine.

Last edited:

JimKIII

Reaction score
Wow a 2gb update that would never download over my home wifi like ram says is required.
2gig!!?? Good Lord! That's almost as large as Windows 10, an entire operating system! Why the hey does it take 2-gig (and that's zipped!) to run the UConnect system NAV included? What other 'secret' code is included --- asks the cynical side of me?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I baffles me how a 2-gig update is sent OTA as the only way to update, knowing there are lots of locations where internet signals are extremely low, if non-existent, and they expect the updates to complete just fine.
OTA doesn’t care if you’re radio is connected to WiFi or not, it’ll do it over cellular, just like Uconnect 4, and UC4 had some updates that were over 2gb, and never had a problem completing.

love2build

Reaction score
I’ll just post it up here. This is S21C.6, and is only for 2022 UC5 12” or 8.4” with nav radios. Once downloaded, do not unzip the file or anything. Just move the whole file itself onto the formatted fat32 usb drive.
So I did as told☺️ And plugged the usb stick in. Nothing happened. Should I have formatted the usb stick a certain way? I did not unzip anything just downloaded and copied. Will this update also update my maps? My maps are 2020 and it would be great if I could update them as well. Thank you again btw @Jimmy07!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
So I did as told☺️ And plugged the usb stick in. Nothing happened. Should I have formatted the usb stick a certain way? I did not unzip anything just downloaded and copied
The usb stick does have to be formatted fat32, and nothing else can be on the drive.

zGhillie

Reaction score
OTA doesn’t care if you’re radio is connected to WiFi or not, it’ll do it over cellular, just like Uconnect 4, and UC4 had some updates that were over 2gb, and never had a problem completing.
When I brought my truck in for these issues the dealer handed me instructions on updating and it said they had to be done at home over wifi only and specifically said they can't do it if they even wanted to.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
When I brought my truck in for these issues the dealer handed me instructions on updating and it said they had to be done at home over wifi only and specifically said they can't do it if they even wanted to.
The OTA is done over it’s cellular telematics connection. I’m not sure, but it can probably do it over WiFi if the cellular connection is lost, but most people reporting receiving updates on UC5, haven’t been connected to WiFi at all.
Here’s a clip from the newest S23.13 TSB:
7C07316E-1D6B-4CD9-A6F9-4336CF8A5CAB.jpeg

zGhillie

Reaction score
The OTA is done over it’s cellular telematics connection. I’m not sure, but it can probably do it over WiFi if the cellular connection is lost, but most people reporting receiving updates on UC5, haven’t been connected to WiFi at all.
Here’s a clip from the newest S23.13 TSB:
View attachment 31994
That’s some good info idk why but they had me sit at the dealer for an hour on their Wi-Fi trying to get it to update. Guess they don’t know much about it

Jimmy07

Reaction score
S21C.6 isn’t technically the latest update is it?
No, it’s 2 versions behind, so it’s only beneficial to those behind that. The only reason it can be obtained for usb is because that version has a TSB for it that gives the dealer the ability to download it onto usb stick. The newer ones are OTA only, so you just have to wait for them to come to you.

Darmichar

Reaction score
That’s some good info idk why but they had me sit at the dealer for an hour on their Wi-Fi trying to get it to update. Guess they don’t know much about it
If you're on 21B you might want to stick with that. That was the last one that seemed to be somewhat stable

twytch38

Reaction score
What's the latest and greatest update? I'm currently on S21D.5 and my cargo camera hasn't worked since I picked up the truck on 2/11/22.

g00fy

Reaction score
What's the latest and greatest update? I'm currently on S21D.5 and my cargo camera hasn't worked since I picked up the truck on 2/11/22.
When you say the cargo camera doesn't work, do you mean you touch the icon and nothing happens? Or you tap the icon and you get a blue screen?

twytch38

Reaction score
When I go to the cargo camera, I get a blue screen and it says Camera System Unavailable. The backup camera works perfectly.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Anyone have any issue with the heated steering wheel intermittently not working through the 12" touch screen, they already replaced the steering wheel but it came back again today not working. It only happens when I remote start it. On the touch screen it shows the seats are working but the wheel is off, you touch the wheel and it comes on for a second then goes off again. I really need both as lately when I leave in the morning it's in the negatives.

I wish they had a hard button for the seats and wheel like my 8.4 radio had.

DougB

Reaction score
Anyone have any issue with the heated steering wheel intermittently not working through the 12" touch screen, they already replaced the steering wheel but it came back again today not working. It only happens when I remote start it. On the touch screen it shows the seats are working but the wheel is off, you touch the wheel and it comes on for a second then goes off again. I really need both as lately when I leave in the morning it's in the negatives.

I wish they had a hard button for the seats and wheel like my 8.4 radio had.
My wheel did that the other day first trip of the day, remotely started. Didn’t matter if I tried screen or button. It would turn off in about 1-2 seconds after being pressed. No message on screen. Next time I was in the truck later that day it worked fine. Has been fine the few times I’ve used it since, too. 8.4 NAV on 21D.5

Last edited:

love2build

Reaction score
So, still on B but now the screen just shuts off randomly and remains off and black until I stop the truck and turn it off for at least 5 min. Once I restart it then it turns on. This has happened now 4 times in 2 days. Was at the dealer today for my ongoing ram box issue and thought they might like to see my black screen non functional radio while I was there. They scanned and some kind of code came up they didn’t like from my media centre. Monday morning it goes in. Again. I am grateful it’s nothing mechanical. I am afraid of my drivers side rambox though. 2x I’ve almost been hit in the face by flying springs.

zGhillie

Reaction score
So, still on B but now the screen just shuts off randomly and remains off and black until I stop the truck and turn it off for at least 5 min. Once I restart it then it turns on. This has happened now 4 times in 2 days. Was at the dealer today for my ongoing ram box issue and thought they might like to see my black screen non functional radio while I was there. They scanned and some kind of code came up they didn’t like from my media centre. Monday morning it goes in. Again. I am grateful it’s nothing mechanical. I am afraid of my drivers side rambox though. 2x I’ve almost been hit in the face by flying springs.
The radio issue is known there’s a tsb out for it already just says a future update will fix it. Good luck on your ramboxes I could never get mine to seal so sold the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread