Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 2500 6.7L P0299 Code

beckty85

Reaction score
interesting...I guess a throttle body/valve is better than a turbo actuator or something worse.
I’ve had the truck back with the new throttle body for 13 days. I’ve driven it 8 of those days trying to get the readiness monitors to clear so I can smog it (California) yesterday Cel came back on with all of my original codes
P02e7
P02e9
P0299
P226c

Doesn’t seem to have lost power this time but I never felt like it was back to normal in the first place. Trucks at about 2500 miles now. Back to the dealer in the morning.

So far it has had 8 days out of service with them. 22 more and it meets the requirements for lemon law. It really sucks cause I want the truck and have dumped some serious money into it, but in the end I need this thing to reliably tote my 5th wheel and family all over the country and at this point I can’t trust it.

May go order myself an f350 at my local dealer tomorrow just to get the ball rolling so I’ll have it by this summer for our huge camping trip.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I’ve had the truck back with the new throttle body for 13 days. I’ve driven it 8 of those days trying to get the readiness monitors to clear so I can smog it (California) yesterday Cel came back on with all of my original codes
P02e7
P02e9
P0299
P226c

Doesn’t seem to have lost power this time but I never felt like it was back to normal in the first place. Trucks at about 2500 miles now. Back to the dealer in the morning.

So far it has had 8 days out of service with them. 22 more and it meets the requirements for lemon law. It really sucks cause I want the truck and have dumped some serious money into it, but in the end I need this thing to reliably tote my 5th wheel and family all over the country and at this point I can’t trust it.

May go order myself an f350 at my local dealer tomorrow just to get the ball rolling so I’ll have it by this summer for our huge camping trip.

That is really ****ty. Sorry to hear. Was hoping the TB would fix it for you.

beckty85

Reaction score
That is really ****ty. Sorry to hear. Was hoping the TB would fix it for you.
dropped it off this morning. They just called and said they are going back and forth with engineering at this point with how to proceed. Doesn't sound like good news to me.

Reaction score
i was so frustrated with the truck and the dealer experience but decided to change out the air filter, again. i replaced it and the code went away!
i am in shock. Thanks to everyone on this thread.

gyoung360

Reaction score
Reviewing threads related to P0299 code since I just had a similar code on my 2019 2500 RAM (26K miles). Had a schedule dealer apt so asked them to check this code (note check engine light had come on and went off after running diagnostics, but found the code had came on / off several time.

So the dealer called and indicated the problem was due to the air filter (I just installed its first air filter) utilized glue strips at the bottom of the filter to separate the pleats. They referenced Case # S2018000007 Rev D. So the check engine light is cleared and now we'll see if the P0299 code reappears.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Reviewing threads related to P0299 code since I just had a similar code on my 2019 2500 RAM (26K miles). Had a schedule dealer apt so asked them to check this code (note check engine light had come on and went off after running diagnostics, but found the code had came on / off several time.

So the dealer called and indicated the problem was due to the air filter (I just installed its first air filter) utilized glue strips at the bottom of the filter to separate the pleats. They referenced Case # S2018000007 Rev D. So the check engine light is cleared and now we'll see if the P0299 code reappears.

Was that a Mopar filter?

Reason I ask is that the latest replacement part number for the OEM filter has those flimsy pleats with glue strips.

If they're only using "glue strips" as an identifier for aftermarket filters, they need to rethink that.

gyoung360

Reaction score
Not sure what I had put in (since they threw it) but I picked it up a a NAPA store. Dealership installed a Mopar (68517554AA) $44.00

Jackb60

Reaction score
That's what I did. Not willing to delete with 50K to go on the warranty, crappy dealer, no good dealers in the state, etc..etc...
Not sure what I had put in (since they threw it) but I picked it up a a NAPA store. Dealership installed a Mopar (68517554AA) $44.00
Believe it or not these trucks are so sensitive that an after market filter can cause it to throw a code.

Wileykid

Reaction score
Well, once again, my truck has the P0299 code, and again I am about 700 miles from home, towing my 15K lb trailer (2K mile trip). Last time, it was resolved by replacing the air filter, which was a quality aftermarket one, to a MOPAR stock one. This time, I have the MOPAR one in it, and it is not that dirty with about 14K miles on it. After calling all the dealers around where I am at, getting a new filter through them is not possible, they do not have any in stock, and have been told to not order any until October. Talking to one dealer, he said the NAPA Gold filter was the same, and the truck tolerates it. Put it in, cleared the code, three miles later and it is back. I did find an online stock filter, and I should have it on Monday, so we will see. All the dealers are backed up, earliest possibility to look at the truck is Thursday, and I need to head home by Wednesday. One dealers best offer is to at least make sure the computer is up to date including the TSB on the code, and to record and clear the permanent code. Going to put in the stock filter, and code or no code, go for it, truck seems to be running normal, and only one good hill to conquer on the way home.

SRBSpeed

Reaction score
Jumping on this thread, for the last three months I've had a P0299 show up, I clear it and it returns periodically, no drivability issues. Then one day, I notice the truck derate and it's like driving a VW bus... P0401 code. I pull the EGR valve and clean it the next day, it works for a day at full power but the next day it derates me again with the P0401 code showing up. I pull the EGR valve, clean it again, drive a continuous 500 miles without CELs and then have the same issues with the truck cutting power and throwing codes the next day. I was running a factory air filter at the time the first P0299 showed up and it was clean too. I cleaned the MAP, MAF and atmospheric pressure sensors without any luck. I'm thinking either the EGR cooler or throttle body needs to be cleaned at this point, wondering if anyone has run into this where the truck cuts power randomly and then runs great.

flan

Reaction score
Jumping on this thread, for the last three months I've had a P0299 show up, I clear it and it returns periodically, no drivability issues. Then one day, I notice the truck derate and it's like driving a VW bus... P0401 code. I pull the EGR valve and clean it the next day, it works for a day at full power but the next day it derates me again with the P0401 code showing up. I pull the EGR valve, clean it again, drive a continuous 500 miles without CELs and then have the same issues with the truck cutting power and throwing codes the next day. I was running a factory air filter at the time the first P0299 showed up and it was clean too. I cleaned the MAP, MAF and atmospheric pressure sensors without any luck. I'm thinking either the EGR cooler or throttle body needs to be cleaned at this point, wondering if anyone has run into this where the truck cuts power randomly and then runs great.
Do you have some high miles or high engine hours?

SRBSpeed

Reaction score
Issues started at about 53,000 miles now currently at 55,000 miles with 1,350 hours on the truck.

flan

Reaction score
So that’s not much to have a sooted up egr system I’d be surprised if it were that.

Wileykid

Reaction score
Follow up on mine, P0401 code came up also, no dealers to look at it, ended up driving it home at 30-55 mph. Local dealer replaced the EGR valve, which fixed the issues.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

SRBSpeed

Reaction score
Follow up on mine, P0401 code came up also, no dealers to look at it, ended up driving it home at 30-55 mph. Local dealer replaced the EGR valve, which fixed the issues.

Glad to hear it cleared it up. How many miles/hours are on your truck?

I’m wondering if the CCV is gumming up the EGR throttle body and causing the P0299 and P0401 combo… when I pulled the MAP to clean it, it was pretty oily. Will pull the throttle body tomorrow and report back.

Wileykid

Reaction score
Glad to hear it cleared it up. How many miles/hours are on your truck?

I’m wondering if the CCV is gumming up the EGR throttle body and causing the P0299 and P0401 combo… when I pulled the MAP to clean it, it was pretty oily. Will pull the throttle body tomorrow and report back.
Had around 32,000 miles at the time.

Couldn't tell you what may have caused it. Last year, same thing, and the new OEM filter did the trick. When it happened, I went to a diesel repair place, who happened to have a buddy that worked at a dealership. He was saying the fix is replacing the EGR, that most anything else doesn't work for long. Got the emissions warranty, so why not.

Last edited:

SRBSpeed

Reaction score
Had around 32,000 miles at the time.

Couldn't tell you what may have caused it. Last year, same thing, and the new OEM filter did the trick. When it happened, I went to a diesel repair place, who happened to have a buddy that worked at a dealership. He was saying the fix is replacing the EGR, that most anything else doesn't work for long. Got the emissions warranty, so why not.

Mine kicked off the P0299 with a fairly clean OEM filter, I replaced it with an aftermarket one (will go get a new one from the dealer soon). If the EGR valve is bad it failed at the perfect time for FCA... right after the 50,000 mile mark when the federal emissions warranty expires. Only thing keeping me from I delete right now is waiting on the CP3 voluntary recall to get done...

I cleaned the throttle body last night, it was pretty oily on the side towards the intake elbow/EGR valve and was sticking when fully closed. Test ran it last night with a ~6-7K trailer on it for some resistance, P0299, P0401, P056E came on but no loss of power. I looked at the freeze frame and the P0401 came on at 3.52% load... after driving around for a bit.

At this point trying to get in to the dealer to get a reflash done and see if that resolves it.

thunderwasp

Reaction score
Had this code pop up the other day about 75miles after changing my air filter. This was 75mi spread over several trips and about 2 weeks. I used a wix filter and had no performance issues but the CEL came on. After researching this thread I went to the dealership and got a filter. Today the CEL went off on its own. Hated to replace the like new Wix filter but couldn't ask for an easier fix. I'll let tou guys know if the light comes back on. Just figured I'd share my experience

SRBSpeed

Reaction score
I got the truck fixed a few months back when I finally took it in to the dealer and the problem was something I would never expect. A wiring harness rubbed a hole in the intercooler outlet boot which was causing the discrepancy in pressure and airflow that was read at the intake vs what was arriving at the intake manifold. They also warrantied my EGR valve which was leaking at the end cap.

Users who are viewing this thread