Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 2500 6.7L P0299 Code

Sfreak76

Reaction score
I’m hoping my issues will be taken care of Tuesday If not I’ll be filing a complaint with FCA or whatever they’re called now.
Good luck to you, my problem was a little with the truck but more with a poor dealership with even worse service

Jackb60

Reaction score
Good luck to you, my problem was a little with the truck but more with a poor dealership with even worse service
I’m hoping my first two visits were due to poor dealer service and this new dealer takes care of it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed!

mruysch

Reaction score
Was getting the p0299 code but running good. Got the update done (because it was cold and the remote start doesn't work with the check engine light on) and a week later was getting a whole bunch more codes and limp mode. Brought it back and they found that the EGR valve was no good. Changed it and been good for 5000km so far

Jackb60

Reaction score
Also an update on my trans issue when coming to a stop. Tech installed a new valve body kit and it seemed to fix it. Either an out of spec plate or bad install. Got that one behind me at least. Next up to bat is drivers side window switch. Auto down and stop it half way.... try to go back up with it and it’ll stop on it’s own, turn around and roll all the way down... installed new switch with no luck. I’m convinced this truck was built on a Friday
Did you ever resolve the P0299 underboost code issue? I’m taking mine in tomorrow for 3rd time.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
SUBJECT: Flash: Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Updates OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves reprogramming the Engine Control Module/Powertrain Control Module (ECM/ PCM) with the latest available software.

MODELS: 2019 - 2020 (DJ) RAM 2500 Pickup NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries:

LATAM. NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine (Sales Code ETL) and Euro Stage 5 Emissions W/EOBD 5 (Sales Code NBC).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: Customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the technician may find the following Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been set: • P0299-00 - Turbocharger Underboost.

Jackb60

Reaction score
3rd visit yesterday and told that another update was done on the truck and everything runs great. Got on the road and still running poorly. Checked the paperwork from the dealer and no mention of any update performed. Truck was in and out in about 2 hours. They don’t have any interest in looking beyond what the computer tells them Unfortunately.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
they didn't do anything at a dealer within a 2hr time period.

Highcountry

Reaction score
I'm curious for those of you having to visit multiple times with no resolution, have you thought about mentioning lemon law to them? It might motivate them to do actually address the issue. Just a quick exerpt from an online resource. I mean seriously having the same issue 3,4 or more times has to be getting old.

What Qualifies as a Lemon?

Under the law of most states, for a vehicle to be considered a lemon, the car must 1) have a "substantial defect," covered by warranty, that occurs within a certain time after purchase, and 2) continue to have the defect after a "reasonable number" of repair attempts. What exactly constitutes a substantial defect or a reasonable number of attempts varies by state, so it is incumbent upon you to determine the law in your state.

Substantial Defect

A substantial defect is a problem—not caused by the owner's use of the car after purchase—that impairs the car's use, value or safety. In most states, the defect must be covered under express warranty and affect a serious function or expectation of the car. For example, faulty steering or brakes qualify as a substantial defect because they affect vehicle safety, while a loose glove compartment hinge does not qualify because it is a minor problem that doesn't affect a significant function or expectation of the car.

But what about the wide range of problems that fall somewhere between faulty brakes and loose hinges or radio knobs? The legal line drawn between "substantial" and minor problems isn't always clear and varies from state to state. Problems like a poor paint job may not seem like a substantial problem to some people, but many states have found these conditions to constitute a substantial defect.

No matter what state in which you reside, the defect must occur within a certain time period or certain number of miles.

Reasonable Number of Repairs

If your car has a substantial defect as outlined above, the dealer and/or manufacturer is then given a reasonable number of attempts to repair the problem before the car can be declared a lemon.

Generally, four repair attempts is considered reasonable, although this number may be as low as one attempt if the problem is a serious safety defect. Most states also have provisions which state that if a vehicle is in the repair shop for a certain number of days per year to fix substantial defects, the car may be deemed a lemon.

Jackb60

Reaction score
they didn't do anything at a dealer within a 2hr time period.
I totally agree! I was actually shocked when the phone rang but knew as soon as he said update that it was BS. Got up this morning and decided to take a shot and change the CCV. The truck is actually running a lot better than it was yesterday. Still not 100% but I’ll go through a few drive cycles before I make a judgement. Something they should have checked at one of my 3 dealer visits.

Jackb60

Reaction score
After no satisfaction from my 3rd visit yesterday I decided to change my CCV filter and see if there’s a difference. After the new filter the truck runs fine! I know the service interval on these is 67500 miles but I guess mine was clogged at about 18,000. Maybe it was just the filter or there’s an underlying problem causing it to clog idk. I’ll keep my fingers crossed and hope this does the trick long term. Amazing that the dealers can’t notice this right away. Seems that if the computer doesn’t tell them what’s wrong they don’t have a clue or just don’t care enough to try and figure it out.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
They don't get paid enough (in their opinion) to. Warranty work is built on low paying book time. If you were an out of warranty out of pocket customer there probably would have been a better effort.

Jackb60

Reaction score
Got a call this morning from the service writer at the dealership. He complained that I gave a poor review after my visit and that I cost him $2700. After I told him how disappointed I was with their service and Rams inability to get the truck running properly he told me to do him a favor and not bring the truck back there. The epitome of incompetence!

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
there ya go! prime example of a typical dealers headspace.

Jackb60

Reaction score
This is my second Ram truck but it will definitely be the last!

AKDoug

Reaction score
I joined the club in early April with the P0299 problem. The truck, for the fifth time, froze the DPF tank beyond the ability of the heater to recover. It gave me the 100 miles to 5mph warning even though I got it thawed out in the shop and got the check engine light to go away. DPF gauge read full on the gauge, which it was. However the warning on the screen would not go away. I had 62 miles left until limp, and it was 60 miles to the dealer. At the dealer they couldn't get the screen to re-set, so they did an ECM reflash. All was good for ten miles. I then popped the P0299 code. Since the truck wasn't showing any drivability issues, I stalled taking it back to the dealer. I took it in two days ago and they immediately called and said I needed a new air filter. I told them it was less than 10K miles old but go ahead and change it. They said that fixed the issue, but then called back and said it didn't, the code came back. I left it with them for another day and they managed to get the light to stay off. Well, I got 75 miles on it and the light is back. I don't have much confidence the DEF pump is going to live much longer either. I'm getting out of this truck if the Ford 7.3 gasser that I have on order as a truck for my company pans out. I DGAF about the fuel mileage if I never have to deal with diesel BS anymore. 25 years of driving diesel pickups and I am now done.

JFV1134

Reaction score
I'm curious for those of you having to visit multiple times with no resolution, have you thought about mentioning lemon law to them? It might motivate them to do actually address the issue. Just a quick exerpt from an online resource. I mean seriously having the same issue 3,4 or more times has to be getting old.

What Qualifies as a Lemon?

Under the law of most states, for a vehicle to be considered a lemon, the car must 1) have a "substantial defect," covered by warranty, that occurs within a certain time after purchase, and 2) continue to have the defect after a "reasonable number" of repair attempts. What exactly constitutes a substantial defect or a reasonable number of attempts varies by state, so it is incumbent upon you to determine the law in your state.

Substantial Defect

A substantial defect is a problem—not caused by the owner's use of the car after purchase—that impairs the car's use, value or safety. In most states, the defect must be covered under express warranty and affect a serious function or expectation of the car. For example, faulty steering or brakes qualify as a substantial defect because they affect vehicle safety, while a loose glove compartment hinge does not qualify because it is a minor problem that doesn't affect a significant function or expectation of the car.

But what about the wide range of problems that fall somewhere between faulty brakes and loose hinges or radio knobs? The legal line drawn between "substantial" and minor problems isn't always clear and varies from state to state. Problems like a poor paint job may not seem like a substantial problem to some people, but many states have found these conditions to constitute a substantial defect.

No matter what state in which you reside, the defect must occur within a certain time period or certain number of miles.

Reasonable Number of Repairs

If your car has a substantial defect as outlined above, the dealer and/or manufacturer is then given a reasonable number of attempts to repair the problem before the car can be declared a lemon.

Generally, four repair attempts is considered reasonable, although this number may be as low as one attempt if the problem is a serious safety defect. Most states also have provisions which state that if a vehicle is in the repair shop for a certain number of days per year to fix substantial defects, the car may be deemed a lemon.
I successfully had my 2017 2500 replaced through arbitration. I was already past the Montana lemon law timeline. I had 10 documented repair attempts from two separate dealers.
To anyone considering arbitration, make absolutely sure you have every shred of documentation available. That is what, I believe, won my case for me.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I joined the club in early April with the P0299 problem. The truck, for the fifth time, froze the DPF tank beyond the ability of the heater to recover. It gave me the 100 miles to 5mph warning even though I got it thawed out in the shop and got the check engine light to go away. DPF gauge read full on the gauge, which it was. However the warning on the screen would not go away. I had 62 miles left until limp, and it was 60 miles to the dealer. At the dealer they couldn't get the screen to re-set, so they did an ECM reflash. All was good for ten miles. I then popped the P0299 code. Since the truck wasn't showing any drivability issues, I stalled taking it back to the dealer. I took it in two days ago and they immediately called and said I needed a new air filter. I told them it was less than 10K miles old but go ahead and change it. They said that fixed the issue, but then called back and said it didn't, the code came back. I left it with them for another day and they managed to get the light to stay off. Well, I got 75 miles on it and the light is back. I don't have much confidence the DEF pump is going to live much longer either. I'm getting out of this truck if the Ford 7.3 gasser that I have on order as a truck for my company pans out. I DGAF about the fuel mileage if I never have to deal with diesel BS anymore. 25 years of driving diesel pickups and I am now done.
The newer diesels work much better if you put them on a diet and make drop a few lbs of dpf/ def/ and egr

AKDoug

Reaction score
The newer diesels work much better if you put them on a diet and make drop a few lbs of dpf/ def/ and egr

I’m well aware of that, but the expense and the loss of warranty on this overpriced paperweight just isn’t worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoug

Reaction score
Oh trust me its worth it
If I had any confidence that the CP4 will survive to 100K, exhaust parts would have fallen off already. I don't want to be on the hook for a fuel system because I've voided the warranty. I don't like the truck enough to pay for a CP3 kit and a weight loss program. I'll get rid of it before that.

Users who are viewing this thread