Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 2500 6.7L P0299 Code

Paul Smith

Reaction score
Hey guys. I bought my 2019 Ram 2500 Cummins about a year ago brand new and it currently has ~18,000 miles on it. In the past 3 weeks it’s been at the dealership twice for a check engine light that is giving a P0299 turbo under boost code. The truck is completely stock with zero mods. The first visit to the dealership they performed the “Emissions performance Recall” by re flashing the PCM with the update and they said this would correct the issue... 1 week later the check engine light is on again for the same code. Now I’m being told that FCA is aware of the P0299 code and are working on a new update for it. I’m also noticing that in the mornings when I first drive the truck, if I accelerate from a stop with ~5% throttle to take off there seems to be a stutter or almost like it’s not getting fuel until I step on the peddle further. Has anyone else heard of this or had the same problems? Having to continuously leave my truck at the dealership for a week at a time this often is becoming very frustrating. To add to the frustration, they are stating they have NO loaner vehicles available while I wait... any input is appreciated.
21K miles on my new 3500 Diesel and got the P0299. Seems to have had a bit of a surge under load since it was new. Now I notice the turbo pressure surges at the same time (Hadn't looked at this until now). Otherwise no change in power or anything except the auto start is disabled while the engine light is on. Brought it into Dodge in Fairbanks since it's under warranty. They say there booked out 2 weeks (wouldn't even look at it) so made an appointment. Considering I spent over $70 to get my truck from them you would think they could get it in under warranty quicker.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Sucks you're having trouble but if the dealer is booked, they are booked...

FBEAN

Reaction score
Had he same thing happen to my 2019 ram 2500. Brought it in yesterday morning said they fixed it with a software update on the way home the light came on dropped it off this morning. Hopping they actually get it right today.

AJE2020

Reaction score
If you have any filter other than a Mopar air filter, try putting a factory mopar one in it. That seemed to correct my issue.

Paul Smith

Reaction score
Hey guys. I bought my 2019 Ram 2500 Cummins about a year ago brand new and it currently has ~18,000 miles on it. In the past 3 weeks it’s been at the dealership twice for a check engine light that is giving a P0299 turbo under boost code. The truck is completely stock with zero mods. The first visit to the dealership they performed the “Emissions performance Recall” by re flashing the PCM with the update and they said this would correct the issue... 1 week later the check engine light is on again for the same code. Now I’m being told that FCA is aware of the P0299 code and are working on a new update for it. I’m also noticing that in the mornings when I first drive the truck, if I accelerate from a stop with ~5% throttle to take off there seems to be a stutter or almost like it’s not getting fuel until I step on the peddle further. Has anyone else heard of this or had the same problems? Having to continuously leave my truck at the dealership for a week at a time this often is becoming very frustrating. To add to the frustration, they are stating they have NO loaner vehicles available while I wait... any input is appreciated.
I've been fighting the same issue with my 2019 3500. First they told me it's a know issue on Star Publication S2018000008 and FCA does not have an ETA on the fix. Yesterday I brought it in, they said it was fixed. I got in the and the light was still on. Also mentioned I need to put a Mopar air filter in. They found a cracked EGR valve which is now on order. Plan to change the filter and see what happens when it goes in for the EGR valve. The surging I had seems to be better though.

FBEAN

Reaction score
The truck has been serviced at a dealership (won 4 oil and filter changes at an auction) so the filters should all be Mopar. Hoping for a call back here in a bit.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been fighting the same issue with my 2019 3500. First they told me it's a know issue on Star Publication S2018000008 and FCA does not have an ETA on the fix. Yesterday I brought it in, they said it was fixed. I got in the and the light was still on. Also mentioned I need to put a Mopar air filter in. They found a cracked EGR valve which is now on order. Plan to change the filter and see what happens when it goes in for the EGR valve. The surging I had seems to be better though.

What, these things are like that Keurig with the chip in the k-cups?

SMH.

TooHeavy

Reaction score
Exactly the same for me. Bought my 2019 Ram 2500 Cummins new last December and It currently has 17500 miles. In Oct check engine light came on with P0299 code, was told by a mechanic (not the dealer) to change air filter and clear the code. Next trip same code came on, this time took it to the dealer. They did a ECM update and cleared the code. A week later, same code came on. My truck is currently at the dealer and they told me that I need a new turbo (which is on back order). No ETA on when I will get my truck back. I bought this to pull my 5th wheel, but the last three trips I have had three check engine lights... Now my truck is down for an undetermined time.

twmotox

Reaction score
After several times of p0299 coming on I finally went ahead and took out the brand new wix air filter I had put in and damned if the light didnt stop coming on. Been 5k miles now and no more light. I never would have believed it after 30 years in the auto industry

Paul Smith

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 2019 Ram 3500 (1000 ft lb version of the 6.7). After having it in several times the mechanic pointed out the after market replacement air filter I had used when I put in a new one in. Told me the new engine is picky; use the OEM Mopar air filter (which you have to get at the dealer). This seemed crazy to me but did it anyhow. The next day the engine light turned off and I haven't seen it since then. As to leaving it at the dealer, I kept driving mine with the code. As long as the dash gauge showed I had boost pressure I knew the turbo was working fine.

TooHeavy

Reaction score
If you have any filter other than a Mopar air filter, try putting a factory mopar one in it. That seemed to correct my issue.
I tried that, didn't make any difference with mine. Code came back on very next trip with the Mopar filter

Xflight29

Reaction score
I have always had my trucks serviced at the dealer I purchased my trucks from. for what we pay for these trucks why would you go with a off brand air-filter or anything else for that mater. dealers and ,manufactures spend considerable money on continues training to ensure that technicians are up to date on these trucks. I guess a dealers reputation depends on customer satisfaction, that's why dealerships guarantee repairs. I have never had any hesitation to accept that the best consumer products are expensive. Original truck parts are no exception at all. I feel you cannot compare the advantages of using original truck parts with those of non-standard companies as dealerships understand the value of money, and they make promises to fulfil them for their bona find customers. And no I don't work for a dealer.

Jackb60

Reaction score
I also have a 2019 6.7 with approximately 20k miles. Sitting at a light the check engine light came on. P0299 code. Started running rough and loud . Mileage was also off by 3-4 mpg. Dealer flashed the computer and said everything is ok. Picked up the truck, still rough and loud but not as bad. Drove a few miles and cel comes on again. Drove the truck a couple of days and light went off. Still not running right. Back to the dealer and they did an update. Still runs nothing like before. They clearly have no idea what to do and I’ve lost faith in the truck.

clawdog79

Reaction score
I’ve had a S&B cold air intake/filter on my 2019 2500 6.7 for one year with no codes or issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sfreak76

Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram 2500 6.7 with 15k miles on it and I had the p0299 code about 800 miles (1 week) after I just got the 15k service done. So I called the dealer and they set me an appointment for 2 weeks out and I told them I had a trip planned that coming weekend (last weekend) and I was going to be pulling my triple axle toyhauler but they still wouldn't get me in any sooner. I went to leave out of town with it and it went into limp mode, luckily my son just bought a 2020 ram 6.7 so we limped my truck to the dealer and took his. They had it for 2 days and said it was just an air tube not quite seated right and it needed a software update. So I get my truck back drove it about 3 miles hook up my trailer and made it about 600ft and the check engine light came back on. Back to the dealer and they said it ended up being the egr valve. I just got it back today and drove it with my trailer about 20 miles and so far so good. We will see this weekend if it makes this trip with the trailer

Jackb60

Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram 2500 6.7 with 15k miles on it and I had the p0299 code about 800 miles (1 week) after I just got the 15k service done. So I called the dealer and they set me an appointment for 2 weeks out and I told them I had a trip planned that coming weekend (last weekend) and I was going to be pulling my triple axle toyhauler but they still wouldn't get me in any sooner. I went to leave out of town with it and it went into limp mode, luckily my son just bought a 2020 ram 6.7 so we limped my truck to the dealer and took his. They had it for 2 days and said it was just an air tube not quite seated right and it needed a software update. So I get my truck back drove it about 3 miles hook up my trailer and made it about 600ft and the check engine light came back on. Back to the dealer and they said it ended up being the egr valve. I just got it back today and drove it with my trailer about 20 miles and so far so good. We will see this weekend if it makes this trip with the trailer
Mine has run like crap since the P2099 code. Still rough and loud compared to before the code. Dealer tells me everything is fine. BS! I have an appointment Tuesday with another dealer so I’ll see what they say. This will be the 3rd time at dealers. I’ve lost faith in this truck. You spend 60k and they won’t even fix the problems. They tell you everything checks out but they know the truck isn’t running right. Sad.

Sfreak76

Reaction score
Mine has run like crap since the P2099 code. Still rough and loud compared to before the code. Dealer tells me everything is fine. BS! I have an appointment Tuesday with another dealer so I’ll see what they say. This will be the 3rd time at dealers. I’ve lost faith in this truck. You spend 60k and they won’t even fix the problems. They tell you everything checks out but they know the truck isn’t running right. Sad.
I have been a chevy guy all my life but gm has irritated me lately and there me trucks look hideous. So this is my first brand new truck and the 3 time it's been to the dealer in 6 months. Wished I bought a duramax, it may be ugly but at least it would be running.

Jackb60

Reaction score
See
I have been a chevy guy all my life but gm has irritated me lately and there me trucks look hideous. So this is my first brand new truck and the 3 time it's been to the dealer in 6 months. Wished I bought a duramax, it may be ugly but at least it would be running
I have been a chevy guy all my life but gm has irritated me lately and there me trucks look hideous. So this is my first brand new truck and the 3 time it's been to the dealer in 6 months. Wished I bought a duramax, it may be ugly but at least it would be running.
Seems like they all have their issues. Bottom line is emissions are killing diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread