Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 pin connector and Trailer Surround View Camera

CortexM0

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks Cortex for digging through this - it was on my list to do when my truck shows up as I have to add this stuff too..
I've learned quite a bit on this forum. I'm just trying to do my part to add back to that knowledge base.

I just bought a used Gateway (68509331AB) off Ebay for $48 shipped. I'll report back after I get that, and test it out. If this works, it looks like I'll also want to get a mounting bracket (04896196AA) and 3 mounting pins (06504521). Unless I decide to just zip-tie it in place.

CortexM0

Reaction score
I just bought a used Gateway (68509331AB) off Ebay for $48 shipped. I'll report back after I get that, and test it out. If this works, it looks like I'll also want to get a mounting bracket (04896196AA) and 3 mounting pins (06504521). Unless I decide to just zip-tie it in place.
I got my gateway in. So naturally, the first thing I do is open it up.
PXL_20230408_170601534.jpgPXL_20230408_170550748.jpg

Looks like it uses a SPC58 family processor, (I'm not familiar with that one) a TPIC74100 switching regulator, and a couple of TJA1046 CAN drivers. Other than that, there's some filtering going on with the CAN and the power supply. But I'm not seeing too much else. Overall a pretty simple board.

Now for the good news. Once this was put back together and connected, my 360 trailer camera system was immediately recognized and worked as expected!
PXL_20230408_171957514.MP.jpg

So to recap, the 360 trailer camera system will work with a 2023. You'll need to use AlfaOBD to configure the "TSVCM Trailer Surround View Camera Module" option. (With Android I had to use a beta version to support the 2023 ECU). You also will have to add a 68509331AB gateway module. This module could be secured with zip-ties, but I plan to procure and mount to the factory bracket (04896196AA) using 3 pins (06504521).
Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 11.39.13 PM.png

Edit 5/16/23 - While my 2023 Limited 2500 did not come with the gateway module, it looks like some might have one already. (See https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...railer-surround-view-camera.13102/post-262321). So probably worth checking before ordering one.

Last edited:

davealc2

Reaction score
I got my gateway in. So naturally, the first thing I do is open it up.
View attachment 54838View attachment 54837

Looks like it uses a SPC58 family processor, (I'm not familiar with that one) a TPIC74100 switching regulator, and a couple of TJA1046 CAN drivers. Other than that, there's some filtering going on with the CAN and the power supply. But I'm not seeing too much else. Overall a pretty simple board.

Now for the good news. Once this was put back together and connected, my 360 trailer camera system was immediately recognized and worked as expected!
View attachment 54839

So to recap, the 360 trailer camera system will work with a 2023. You'll need to use AlfaOBD to configure the "TSVCM Trailer Surround View Camera Module" option. (With Android I had to use a beta version to support the 2023 ECU). You also will have to add a 68509331AB gateway module. This module could be secured with zip-ties, but I plan to procure and mount to the factory bracket (04896196AA) using 3 pins (06504521).
View attachment 54840
Does AlfaOBD Android version 2.3.2.0 support programing the TSVCM for a 2023 2500 Diesel? If not does the current Windows version?

CortexM0

Reaction score
Does AlfaOBD Android version 2.3.2.0 support programing the TSVCM for a 2023 2500 Diesel? If not does the current Windows version?
Looks like the beta version I used is labelled 2.3.0. If you're running 2.3.2, that's a newer version and I would expect it to work.

davealc2

Reaction score
It took me a while to track this down, but it turns out the Gateway is not installed in my truck. However, the good news is that the wire harness is.

View attachment 54340
This is approximately where I'm guessing the Gateway module should be installed.

View attachment 54341
The wires for it split off from the harness around here. They get pulled back and taped to the harness behind the display. I had to reach fairly far in there to verify these were the correct wires and they weren't running off to something else.

View attachment 54342
And finally a picture of the connectors themselves.

Now to find a cheap Gateway module. I'm hoping that will be plug-n-play, and I won't need to enable anything else.
Were you able to get to the connections without disassembling anything?

CortexM0

Reaction score
Were you able to get to the connections without disassembling anything?
The only thing I removed was the panel below the steering wheel. But with that I couldn't see the connectors or where they split off from the main harness. Just had to reach up and feel around.

davealc2

Reaction score
The only thing I removed was the panel below the steering wheel. But with that I couldn't see the connectors or where they split off from the main harness. Just had to reach up and feel around.
After ordering the part, went to install and guess what.... it's already there. Just had to use AlphaOBD to add the TSVCM. Now trailer surround is available and I have an AUX2 vice AUX 1 & 2.

Attachments

• 20230513_144754 (002).jpg
    20230513_144754 (002).jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 65

CortexM0

Reaction score
After ordering the part, went to install and guess what.... it's already there. Just had to use AlphaOBD to add the TSVCM. Now trailer surround is available and I have an AUX2 vice AUX 1 & 2.
Sorry about that. Hopefully you can return (or resale) it without loosing too much money. I've added a note to my post above to indicate that some 2023 may come with the module.

But the good news is that it's working for you. As far as I've seen, yours is only the 2nd 2023 reported to have functioning 360 trailer surround cameras.

davealc2

Reaction score
It's showing up, but haven't tried hooking the cameras up yet. My New travel trailer with the cameras installed on it (had a 2022 1500 limited w/trailer surround) has been at camping world for a month for repairs. FYSA, don't buy a Keystone Cougar...

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I finally "temporarily" installed the 360 trailer surround camera system on my fifth wheel, Jimmy07 helped me get the correct code in the BCM so the trailer surround cameras show up on the Uconnect however the truck is not recognizing the trailer system, my truck is a 22 and has the 12 pin connectors in both the bed and bumper (tried both) do I still need to add a gateway module or something else? IMG_8880.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8881.JPG
    IMG_8881.JPG
    692.4 KB · Views: 17

CortexM0

Reaction score
I finally "temporarily" installed the 360 trailer surround camera system on my fifth wheel, Jimmy07 helped me get the correct code in the BCM so the trailer surround cameras show up on the Uconnect however the truck is not recognizing the trailer system, my truck is a 22 and has the 12 pin connectors in both the bed and bumper (tried both) do I still need to add a gateway module or something else? View attachment 57006
Without the gateway you should get an error similar to the below when you select the trailer surround camera. If this is what you're seeing, it's probably worth a quick look to see if you have the gateway module. If you look up under the dash (in the area behind the start button) it may be possible to see it without removing anything.
PXL_20230329_005909257.MP.jpg

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I got my gateway module in the mail today !
Found the connectors, plugged it in and everything works!
I have all the wiring ran, just need to secure it and mount the cameras but it's to hot for that crap today. maybe this evening or tomorrow morning!! :)

Last edited:

nchristopher1126

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2023 3500 Limited with a digital rearview mirror and trailer reverse. I have the Aux1 and Aux2 Cameras options. There is a camera input on the driver's side of the license plate and a 12-pin on the other side. I ordered the 360 camera setup but didn't. So it doesn't show in the trailer camera options, Just Aux1 and Aux2.

1. Is the driver's side Aux1?
2. Where is Aux2?

If I don't have the 360 trailer camera I'm not interested in the work to make that happen. I want to know which input and what I can hook into it. I have a topper and would like to put a camera on the back of my topper to replicate the digital rearview when not towing. I know there is another thread for that...

davealc2

Reaction score
It's showing up, but haven't tried hooking the cameras up yet. My New travel trailer with the cameras installed on it (had a 2022 1500 limited w/trailer surround) has been at camping world for a month for repairs. FYSA, don't buy a Keystone Cougar...
Finally got my trailer back and hooked up the camera to the bumper conncection. It would not work, tried the connection in the bed and it did work! Anyone know how to switch the connections?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally got my trailer back and hooked up the camera to the bumper conncection. It would not work, tried the connection in the bed and it did work! Anyone know how to switch the connections?

Only one connection can be active at a time. You need to unplug the bed connection and route the cable to the bumper.

All the trucks with the 5th wheel prep come that way.

davealc2

Reaction score
Only one connection can be active at a time. You need to unplug the bed connection and route the cable to the bumper.

Roger. Thanks.

M-Pressive

Reaction score
Great thread! I plan on adding the kit to my 2023.

Which actual 360 camera kit did you use? Hoping to have the part number to order everything.

Thanks

jak

Reaction score

My bumper connection works but bed connection does not. Where do you unplug and reroute? I crawled under there and could not find. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread