Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 pin connector and Trailer Surround View Camera

gprguy

Reaction score
My eyes are still wobbling from comparing and putting the AlfaOBD section names to the CAN IDs and messages for the surround view setting LOL. I’ll have to give it another look, but I suspect it’s the last reserved setting below. I don’t want to tell him though if I’m not 100% sure.

Success! I ended up with a 2022 4500 in the end, and it came with the truck surround but not trailer. However it was wired for trailer surround, but the trailer gateway wasn't installed.

Today I installed a brand new gateway module (that was fun, trying to get the bracket and all in place), enabled TSVCM and it all just worked. So the gateway module doesn't need any programming even if it's brand new.

Thanks again Jimmy.

wpgram

Reaction score
what part number for the camera system is everybody getting?

i have a 2022 and i checked i have the gateway, I have the surround view button on my screen. So in theory I just need the camera system?

gprguy

Reaction score
68527709AC is the part number for the trailer surround kit. $500 is a common going price for them on eBay/etc. They pop up in the for sale forum here now and then.

If you have the gateway and the 12 pin connector, theoretically the only thing missing would be the trailer surround button on the touch screen (which is separate from the truck surround button). AlfaOBD can add that if needed.

wpgram

Reaction score
68527709AC is the part number for the trailer surround kit. $500 is a common going price for them on eBay/etc. They pop up in the for sale forum here now and then.

If you have the gateway and the 12 pin connector, theoretically the only thing missing would be the trailer surround button on the touch screen (which is separate from the truck surround button). AlfaOBD can add that if needed.
I have the trailer surround button and the aux2 button on my screen already.

Is there a kit that works with what i have that is only the rear trailer camera???

gprguy

Reaction score
I have the trailer surround button and the aux2 button on my screen already.

Is there a kit that works with what i have that is only the rear trailer camera???
Should be good to go with the surround kit then.

If you have the digital rear view mirror and the separate coax connector behind a flip open cover to the .. left? I think? of the license plate, you can get camera 68527599AA that plugs into that and will display on the mirror.

I believe the last option would be whatever camera is meant to connect to aux2. I am not clear on what that part number is, and I think it'd involve a bit of custom work with the connector as I don't know that Ram has a pre-made option for the 12 pin connector with just the aux2 wired to it. Ram intended that as a secondary camera for trailers that have the surround system on it but want another view of say the inside of the trailer, to keep an eye on horses or cargo or whatever. But I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to run just aux2 on the back of the trailer provided you can make the connector work.

wpgram

Reaction score

If you have the digital rear view mirror and the separate coax connector behind a flip open cover to the .. left? I think? of the license plate, you can get camera 68527599AA that plugs into that and will display on the mirror.

I believe the last option would be whatever camera is meant to connect to aux2. I am not clear on what that part number is, and I think it'd involve a bit of custom work with the connector as I don't know that Ram has a pre-made option for the 12 pin connector with just the aux2 wired to it. Ram intended that as a secondary camera for trailers that have the surround system on it but want another view of say the inside of the trailer, to keep an eye on horses or cargo or whatever. But I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to run just aux2 on the back of the trailer provided you can make the connector work.

Thanks for your help!

wpgram

Reaction score

do you happen to have any pictures of how the surround view looks on the truck display?

would be nice to see some real world images before i buy it

gprguy

Reaction score
Check earlier in this thread:

Cortex put up a photo showing his working. That said I think he just had the cameras sitting on a bench so they are all pointed odd directions, but you can see that you get a basic outline of the trailer with a bird's eye view on all 4 sides. Very similar to the truck surround. You can also select individual cameras.

If you want to dig further, check this massive thread:

And if you are curious about the rear view mirror camera, there's a picture of the connector here:

I've not installed the surround cameras on my trailer yet, only tested them in a pile on a bench, so I didn't take any photos of the interface.

wpgram

Reaction score
Check earlier in this thread:

Cortex put up a photo showing his working. That said I think he just had the cameras sitting on a bench so they are all pointed odd directions, but you can see that you get a basic outline of the trailer with a bird's eye view on all 4 sides. Very similar to the truck surround. You can also select individual cameras.

If you want to dig further, check this massive thread:

And if you are curious about the rear view mirror camera, there's a picture of the connector here:

I've not installed the surround cameras on my trailer yet, only tested them in a pile on a bench, so I didn't take any photos of the interface.
Ya i've seen the ones sitting on the tailgate.
i will take a look in that long thread and see what i can find

wpgram

Reaction score
I believe this is the kit you could use with Aux2, but I’ve read the camera sucks.

It's cheaper to get the other one off ebay.

Wonder if you HAVE to hook all the cameras up or if you can get away with just the rear LOL

CortexM0

Reaction score
It's cheaper to get the other one off ebay.

Wonder if you HAVE to hook all the cameras up or if you can get away with just the rear LOL
Here's a picture of the 360 trailer camera in operation. (With 3 out of the 4 cameras installed)
360 trailer camera.jpg

The overhead view is shown on the left side, and the selected camera view is shown on the right. The buttons just below the right image are how you select which camera view is shown there.

My travel trailer has a sloped front, and there is no good place to mount the front camera. So I just left the front camera unconnected. Any camera not connected will just show a black screen, and you'll get a corresponding black area on the overhead view.

Also of note is the black line extending out the left rear on my overhead view. That's a remanent of the ladder from the rear view camera. I don't even notice this line while driving, but be aware that if anything sticks out into the camera's view it may mess with the overhead image.

popeye2002

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the 360 trailer camera in operation. (With 3 out of the 4 cameras installed)
View attachment 59564

The overhead view is shown on the left side, and the selected camera view is shown on the right. The buttons just below the right image are how you select which camera view is shown there.

My travel trailer has a sloped front, and there is no good place to mount the front camera. So I just left the front camera unconnected. Any camera not connected will just show a black screen, and you'll get a corresponding black area on the overhead view.

Also of note is the black line extending out the left rear on my overhead view. That's a remanent of the ladder from the rear view camera. I don't even notice this line while driving, but be aware that if anything sticks out into the camera's view it may mess with the overhead image.
@CortexM0 Brother, I can't thank you enough for your pictures back on post #78. I've been head down butt up under my dash no less than 5 times looking for those hidden trailer cam connectors. OMG, mine were wrapped in that tough as nails sticky foam and a full arms length up under the center of the dash. I kept coming back to this thread and I just knew I must have those connectors somewhere. Well my friend, tonight I raise my glass to you sir for sharing the details. sorry no pics, my phone died along the way and I have red stuff leaking out of my arms from the sharp metal edges... I think those are a sign of success for those that never give up. Cheers!

M-Pressive

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of the correct placement of the gateway bracket?

I have all the pieces on order and would like to hook it up the right way.

I did find the two plugs today so I know I need the gateway.

Also, I have a friend that can activate these at the dealership if I can give him the sales code for this. Anyone know what it is?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

gprguy

Reaction score
Heh, that bracket took some figuring.. And seconded on the thanks to CortexM0.

I couldn't get a picture of where the bracket ends up, it's so far up in there. But it mounts to a curved dash support, and the gateway ends up sitting on it's end, kind of like a book on a shelf.. Bad description, but once you find/feel the mounting holes it'll all click. Installing it is a bear though.

gprguy

Reaction score
Oh and the gateway needs no activation. The trailer surround is XN1 I believe, but I doubt he can activate a sales code that didn't come with the truck. AlfaOBD can.

popeye2002

Reaction score
Heh, that bracket took some figuring.. And seconded on the thanks to CortexM0.

I couldn't get a picture of where the bracket ends up, it's so far up in there. But it mounts to a curved dash support, and the gateway ends up sitting on it's end, kind of like a book on a shelf.. Bad description, but once you find/feel the mounting holes it'll all click. Installing it is a bear though.
I just ordered the gateway and the bracket, may have to save the bracket and do some zip ties and duck tape

popeye2002

Reaction score
Routing the trailer 360 camera wires in my 5th wheel and could use some electronical assistance with the pre installed camera connectors. Are the end fittings removable / replaceable non destructively? I am trying to avoid drilling half inch holes through my trailer if someone can help me figure out how to remove and replace the fittings. TIA @Jimmy07 ?

Attachments

• IMG20230816122541.jpg
    IMG20230816122541.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 11
  • LioniDacar3023Cable.jpg
    LioniDacar3023Cable.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG20230816122444.jpg
    IMG20230816122444.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 7

mountainears

Reaction score
I messed with and google searched for a while and didn’t find anything or wanted to break it so I drilled the holes. Mounted the camera just on the other side and used some silicone to seal things up. Cameras block the holes.

That said mine is on a horse trailer so if some water got inside I wouldn’t be too troubled. If I was doing this on living quarters I probably would have spent a bit more time figuring this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread