Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 pin connector and Trailer Surround View Camera

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
This is new information, I just ordered the trailer surround view camera kit as I assumed it would work with my truck, I have the 12 pin connector but I just looked and I don't have the trailer surround soft key in uconnect...
so, there is no way to add this feature with Alfa OBD?
I have the Towing Technology Group B, Safety Group B, Max Tow Package, and the trailer TPMS package.
I have the trailer digital Rear View camera and have already tested it and it works but I was planning on adding the trailer surround cameras as well....

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
This is new information, I just ordered the trailer surround view camera kit as I assumed it would work with my truck, I have the 12 pin connector but I just looked and I don't have the trailer surround soft key in uconnect...
so, there is no way to add this feature with Alfa OBD?
I have the Towing Technology Group B, Safety Group B, Max Tow Package, and the trailer TPMS package.
I have the trailer digital Rear View camera and have already tested it and it works but I was planning on adding the trailer surround cameras as well....

What’s your build date?

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
surely if all the modules and connections are there the dealer should be able to put a sales code in to activate it???
should be able to do it in Alfa OBD as well

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
surely if all the modules and connections are there the dealer should be able to put a sales code in to activate it???
should be able to do it in Alfa OBD as well
AlfaOBD can’t do it because the settings aren’t there. I think I know how he gets all the settings populated in AlfaOBD, and if that’s the case, it’ll be a while before he can add those settings.

I highly doubt the dealer can add the sales code, since they’ve been cracking down on what’s allowed to be added after the fact as a “dealer installed option”. They’re pretty much limited to sales codes that have mopar add-on kits, like remote start. You can call them and ask if sales code XN1 is available to be added to your VIN. If they say it isn’t, you can see if the service advisor will ask the area rep to inquire about Ram allowing it, but the answer is usually no.

GBCrew2

Reaction score
Yeah I do not have those soft keys for trailer surround or the trailer aux soft keys. That's disappointing. I would have definitely preferred a 4 pin connector there instead, especially being that 12pin connector is worthless to me. Disappointing. Thank you!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I do not have those soft keys for trailer surround or the trailer aux soft keys. That's disappointing. I would have definitely preferred a 4 pin connector there instead, especially being that 12pin connector is worthless to me. Disappointing. Thank you!

You should have one or the other if you have the 12-pin.

What does your window sticker show for trailer camera options?

GBCrew2

Reaction score
You should have one or the other if you have the 12-pin.

What does your window sticker show for trailer camera options?

Attachments

• 20210917_194020.jpg
    20210917_194020.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 71

gprguy

Reaction score
I emailed the AlfaOBD guy(s) a little while back asking them to add enabling the trailer 360, he said he's looking into it and hoping to add it in the future. Take that with a grain of salt of course.

That was before it was mentioned that they were not enabling the feature starting last year if it wasn't ordered with the truck.. If you are an AlfaOBD licensee, maybe it would be worth emailing them as well so they can see the demand.

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I emailed the AlfaOBD guy(s) a little while back asking them to add enabling the trailer 360, he said he's looking into it and hoping to add it in the future. Take that with a grain of salt of course.

That was before it was mentioned that they were not enabling the feature starting last year if it wasn't ordered with the truck.. If you are an AlfaOBD licensee, maybe it would be worth emailing them as well so they can see the demand.
Thanks, I will do that, I just purchased the trailer surround camera system and have the 12 pin connector but not the soft keys in uconnect..

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

I still think you should have one or the other. Where are you looking for them? Not all camera menus bring up the trailer options.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Thanks, I will do that, I just purchased the trailer surround camera system and have the 12 pin connector but not the soft keys in uconnect..
It’ll definitely be a while before he can get them added. I think I have a way around it by changing the values in the backup file, and restoring the BCM with the changed backup file. Two of us are working on it, he’s going to make sure the changes we found fully add the configuration, and then I’m going to make sure I can fully disable and re-enable it on mine.
403A66A6-7ACD-4B48-818B-B30A4C49C967.jpeg

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
@GBCrew2 part of your Towing Tech Group B is "Trailer Reverse Guidance" so the trailer sub menu should exist.

What appears when you press "more cams" when you are in reverse?

88DD02DC-0882-4E94-B1FA-9203F4E2C776.jpeg

174BDFC6-E928-4CA2-88FB-5FB06695B774.jpeg

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
May as well take the 12 pin out and put a 4 pin in, it should be plug an play. The part number is 68014986AB

GBCrew2

Reaction score
May as well take the 12 pin out and put a 4 pin in, it should be plug an play. The part number is 68014986AB
Thanks! I was just starting to look for that part # to do that. Saved me some time.

Users who are viewing this thread