Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 pin connector and Trailer Surround View Camera

GBCrew2

Reaction score
If I have the 12 pin connector on my truck and have the towing technology group b. Can I purchase trailer surround camera system, part# 82216421ab-001 and it will work for my truck? I also have the 5th wheel prep group so does that mean the 12pin connector only works on the bed and not from the bumper? I have a 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie

[MOD; Please limit questions in this thread related to the 12-PIN Surround Camera System]

Last edited by a moderator:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
If I have the 12 pin connector on my truck and have the towing technology group b. Can I purchase trailer surround camera system, part# 82216421ab-001 and it will work for my truck? I also have the 5th wheel prep group so does that mean the 12pin connector only works on the bed and not from the bumper? I have a 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie
Since your truck is equipped with the 5th wheel prep group you’ll have the 12 pin camera connector in both the bed and the bumper locations, however only ONE of those two is “active” at a time. There is a quick disconnect harness behind the rear bumper under the bed that must be disconnect and swapped between the two positions, depending on which one you need to use. I can’t remember which one of those two comes active from the factory but I think it’s the bumper location.

In terms of the trailer surround view, it feeds to the Uconnect screen and requires the Truck component of the surround view system so if you go into your current camera options, you should see regular truck surround view, and then if the trailer portion of the software is there you’ll see a trailer camera icon among the choices. I haven’t had a chance to install or mess around with my trailer surround camera on my 22 3500 yet but I believe, based on the options you say your truck has, it should work.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it will work. The 5th wheel 12-pin is the one connected from the factory.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Does your camera screen have this trailer surround view soft key? If not, the kit won’t work:
AB173689-6401-48DA-B854-5D83D5CD2596.jpeg

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Does your camera screen have this trailer surround view soft key? If not, the kit won’t work:
View attachment 50523
Jimmy, if he doesn’t have that button, but does have all the other components is that as simple as having a dealer activate a sales code / flash the software? Curious for my own knowledge on this as well. I ordered my 22 with the trailer surround option so my UC12 already had that loaded but would like to know the specifics on this so I can provide a better answer if it’s ever asked in the future. Thanks

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Jimmy, if he doesn’t have that button, but does have all the other components is that as simple as having a dealer activate a sales code / flash the software? Curious for my own knowledge on this as well. I ordered my 22 with the trailer surround option so my UC12 already had that loaded but would like to know the specifics on this so I can provide a better answer if it’s ever asked in the future. Thanks
It most likely won’t be available to add.
At the start of the 2022’s, all trucks that had regular surround view were being configured with the trailer surround view soft key, but somewhere about mid model year they changed that to only be configured if the kit was ordered with the truck.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
It most likely won’t be available to add.
At the start of the 2022’s, all trucks that had regular surround view were being configured with the trailer surround view soft key, but somewhere about mid model year they changed that to only be configured if the kit was ordered with the truck.
Wow. I had no idea! I was operating under the assumption that was part of the surround view software and it was all inclusive, you just needed the trailer half of the system to connect into it. (In the same manner as the digital rearview and tow-mode camera) Thanks for the clarification!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Wow. I had no idea! I was operating under the assumption that was part of the surround view software and it was all inclusive, you just needed the trailer half of the system to connect into it. (In the same manner as the digital rearview and tow-mode camera) Thanks for the clarification!
Here’s a newer truck that didn’t come with trailer surround view. Instead of trailer surround view and Aux 2 soft keys, it has aux 1 & 2 soft keys.
CE418AA7-9885-4619-A7C1-B83515B063A9.jpeg

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Here’s a newer truck that didn’t come with trailer surround view. Instead of trailer surround view and Aux 2 soft keys, it has aux 1 & 2 soft keys.
View attachment 50524
I wonder what their motivation was to remove that mid-production? Is there a second “chip” (using that term loosely) that is required to process the trailer half of the system?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I wonder what their motivation was to remove that mid-production? Is there a second “chip” (using that term loosely) that is required to process the trailer half of the system?
No, it’s just the BCM configuration.
I found this out by accident when I was installing a 2022 BCM in my truck to add trailer surround view. Since AlfaOBD doesn’t have the settings, I was using wiTECH to restore VIN configurations to the new BCM. The first one I used was a random newer VIN that just had regular surround view, and the trailer surround soft key didn’t show up. Then I used an older 2022 vin with regular surround view but no trailer surround, and the soft key showed up.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I found this out by accident when I was installing a 2022 BCM in my truck to add trailer surround view. Since AlfaOBD doesn’t have the settings, I was using wiTECH to restore VIN configurations to the new BCM. The first one I used was a random newer VIN that just had regular surround view, and the trailer surround soft key didn’t show up. Then I used an older 2022 vin with regular surround view but no trailer surround, and the soft key showed up.
Thanks for the education, very much appreciated. I’ve had this question come up before and I’ve been giving out the same answer but wasn’t aware of the change during production. I guess it makes sense to start with “does your truck have the surround view key” when answering this question in the future. Thanks Jimmy

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. My May of ‘22 build has the soft key, I understood it to be standard with tow tech group B… I guess that changed.

Reaction score
So based on this, my question is why would a vehicle without surround view have the twelve pin connector?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
So based on this, my question is why would a vehicle without surround view have the twelve pin connector?
As far as I know, no matter what, if the truck has regular surround view, then the truck is automatically prepped with the trailer gateway module, wiring, and 12 pin trailer connector. It it used in both configurations- trailer surround view, or mopar aux trailer camera kit.

Reaction score
As far as I know, no matter what, if the truck has regular surround view, then the truck is automatically prepped with the trailer gateway module, wiring, and 12 pin trailer connector. It it used in both configurations- trailer surround view, or mopar aux trailer camera kit.
I have a 22 without surround view but have the twelve pin connector. I would like to add the cameras/flash the truck.
I already swapped out the grill and put the front camera in. I found a fakra connection for it under the passenger headlight.
Kinda thought my truck might just be missing some hardware.
Your thoughts?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I have a 22 without surround view but have the twelve pin connector. I would like to add the cameras/flash the truck.
I already swapped out the grill and put the front camera in. I found a fakra connection for it under the passenger headlight.
Kinda thought my truck might just be missing some hardware.
Your thoughts?
On adding regular surround view? That’s an entirely different topic, and there’s a how-to thread for it in the modifications section.

Reaction score
On adding regular surround view? That’s an entirely different topic, and there’s a how-to thread for it in the modifications section.
I get (not trying to go off topic) but I’m saying I don’t have surround view and I have the connection for trailer surround view on the bumper from factory.
This seems to not follow what you stated in previous posts of this thread. Please correct me if I am confused.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I get (not trying to go off topic) but I’m saying I don’t have surround view and I have the connection for trailer surround view on the bumper from factory.
This seems to not follow what you stated in previous posts of this thread. Please correct me if I am confused.
It’s possible to configure a truck without surround view for the mopar trailer camera wiring prep, which includes the 12 pin connector. IOW, the 12 pin trailer connector is not used JUST for trailer surround view.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s possible to configure a truck without surround view for the mopar trailer camera wiring prep, which includes the 12 pin connector. IOW, the 12 pin trailer connector is not used JUST for trailer surround view.

Correct. You can option a trailer camera that’s not the wired tow mode (DRVM) or trailer surround without having the 360° camera. It’s called the “Trailer camera wiring (no camera) by Mopar” I thought about it briefly and the reviews are horrible, I guess it a crappy analog image that isn’t worth the OEM price. It’s $515 MSRP for wiring, the camera is over $600 from what I recall. Not a great deal when the tow tech group B has the same 12 pin prep and can accept the digital or anagog aux cameras.

Reaction score
Correct. You can option a trailer camera that’s not the wired tow mode (DRVM) or trailer surround without having the 360° camera. It’s called the “Trailer camera wiring (no camera) by Mopar” I thought about it briefly and the reviews are horrible, I guess it a crappy analog image that isn’t worth the OEM price. It’s $515 MSRP for wiring, the camera is over $600 from what I recall. Not a great deal when the tow tech group B has the same 12 pin prep and can accept the digital or analog aux cameras.
Basically in this scenario (wired tow mode and trailer camera wiring by Mopar) you can have two separately wired single cameras on the trailer? One viewed in the digital mirror and the other on the 12” screen?

Users who are viewing this thread