Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent content by jm888

1. J

Crap Firestone Transforce tires

I have been reading the posts in this thread too, and am curious when people talk about them in the snow. Are you referring to deep snow on dirt roads, or just like compact snow on the freeway or even streets? And is the problem getting stuck, or just slipping? I have only been in the snow a...
  2. J

Do you keep something in the receiver to prevent rear end damage if someone bumps into you?

I don't mean like a rear end collision. I am just talking about where someone might lightly bump you while pulling up too far to park. Something where it would probably scratch up the bumper.
  3. J

Do you keep something in the receiver to prevent rear end damage if someone bumps into you?

I was just thinking how much damage even a minor bump to the bumper would cause, or even just someone pulling too close and bumping into it while parking. Do you guys keep a hitch ball or something else in the receiver at all times so somebody would hit that first before your bumper?
  4. J

Is this a good jack for these HD trucks?

I appreciate it. The Daytona does look nice but for the once or twice a year I use it, I don't need to put out that much. If the 20 inch height of the Pittsburgh gets it off the ground, I'll go with that. Can anyone in here actually confirm that it will get the tires off the ground if jacking...
  5. J

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess it will only take a few more minutes to jack up each side of the axle. So will this get it high enough with the 6 ton stands then? I don't really want to mess with putting a block of wood to gain height. Then from what I gather reading other threads, I just...
  6. J

I just do occasional work on my vehicles and have a small floor jack but wanted to get one that can accommodate these trucks as well. Probably won't get much use (as the truck is so high I can practically sit under it to change the oil!), but I might want to rotate the tires myself. I don't...
  7. J

Why do you have 3.73 or 4.10?

Just because I am learning what all this stuff means, if two identical trucks of the same weight were traveling on the flat at the same RPMs, one with a 3.73 and the other with a 4.10, would they both theoretically get the same mileage? Of course I understand that the 4.10 would probably be...
  8. J

Another 3.73 vs 4.10 thread - placed order with dealer and second guessing my decision

So that sounds like another part to this equation. Is it fair to say that with diesels, there is less of an advantage to get a higher gear ratio as the engine is already powerful enough, but with a gas, the higher gear ratio provides more of a benefit with very little downside?
  9. J

Another 3.73 vs 4.10 thread - placed order with dealer and second guessing my decision

I keep going back and forth on this too but from what I gather from all of these different posts is that there really is not that much difference so hopefully that is true. If someone were going to drive this 20k miles a year and not tow, then maybe the small mileage difference might make a...
  10. J

Do you think Laramie or Big Horn seats will hold up longer?

How much did it cost to replace with the Katzkin? Do the heated seats st still work?
  11. J

I understand some people are going to heavily use their trucks for work or whatever and go 25k miles per year or more and I guess in that case I wouldn't expect the truck to last 15 years. But based on my past experience, I definitely expect it last that long as I don't plan to put that many...
  12. J

I know there are posts about leather vs. cloth, but a lot of that seemed focused on the higher end Limited leather seats which I would imagine are much nicer than the Laramie. I am very close to finally pulling the trigger but stuck on these two seats. The cloth seats in the Big Horn feel very...
  13. J

Trailer TPMS vs aftermarket

After looking more into these and reading your comments, the Trailer TPMS is a $445 option and the trailer tires would have to be removed, taken to a shop, and have them install the sensors. I see stuff like this on Amazon for around $100-$150 or so and it seems much simpler as you just install...
  14. J

Cab length side steps vs wheel to wheel

What are the advantages and disadvantages to each?
  15. J

Price negotiated from MSRP

What happens as far as sales tax when you purchase out of state? Do they collect your state's sales tax or does that out the door price not include sales tax and you have to pay it when you get it registered in your state?