Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cab length side steps vs wheel to wheel

jm888

Reaction score
What are the advantages and disadvantages to each?

QCHunter

Reaction score
I went with wheel to wheel so I could access the front of the bed easier. That’s my only reason.

r440

Reaction score
wheel to wheel so the paint dont get scratched as much leaning over to reach 5th wheel hitch

HopFanatik

Reaction score
W2W for esthetics & front bed ease of access

I had cab length on my 2013 and felt like it was missing that extra little piece.

Disclaimer: all three of my trucks have been Pavement Princesses.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Have cab length because it came with it. I could not find any wheel to wheel for a dually that did not require the lower plastic parts to be removed. So I went with the AMP bedside step on the drivers side for 5th wheel access. Going to add another on the passenger side as I've needed on there also.

lgarrison34

Reaction score
I put Mega Cab steps that I bought for $150 on my CC and they allow me to access the bed but don’t quite go all the way to the rear wheels.
20863a58a4fd0ae3881d64a894d15884.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigWorm

Reaction score
I went wheel to wheel and I'm glad I did. My 2019 is so much taller than my 2005 2500 I had. I'm 6'4 and I can't reach into the box without standing on the step

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I went with the Amp retractable, as I like the look without the steps much better than with them and once retracted, it pretty well keeps the same look.

I also knew I was getting a topper/shell/cap so I have to access the bed from either the windoors or the back and w2w steps wouldn't have been of much assistance in that arena.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Currently have cab length. I would buy wheel-to-wheel if I could find a decent set that fits the CCLB frame.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I went wheel to wheel and I'm glad I did. My 2019 is so much taller than my 2005 2500 I had. I'm 6'4 and I can't reach into the box without standing on the step
I'm 6'7" and had to add in the AMP bedside step to access the 5th wheel hitch on my 2020 Dually.

Woodall83

Reaction score
I am trying to get wheel to wheel steps now, wish I would have ordered them with the truck. I wanted power steps at first but now I think it needs the steps to cover all the frame and mechanicals that show from the side. Just my opinion.

FYI no dealer seems to be able to order the OEM steps right now, wheel to wheel or cab length. I was told there was a supplier issue and they are on back order with no estimate of in stock. Go figure. Maybe another issue holding trucks for so long at the accessory vendor.

lgarrison34

Reaction score
Keep in mind 4th gen 1500 and HD steps fit 5th gen HDs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Got the wheel to wheel mainly to be able to reach into my tool box or a 5th wheel hitch locking handle. I had the AMP bedside "kick down" steps in that area of the bed on my '15 Chevy dually and they were a PITA just to be able to reach into my tool box. Glad I got the wheel to wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread