Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another 3.73 vs 4.10 thread - placed order with dealer and second guessing my decision

MikeXM

Reaction score
one think for sure with diesel it has to be cheap because I have never been to a multi use pump that has not had a ton of diesel slopped around. one of those things makes you wonder.
It's for the scent. Trucker's perfume.

cmr287

Reaction score
Newbie here. Just placed an order with my dealer for a 2021 Big Horn 2500 (Crew cab 4x4 gasser). This will be my first Ram - I am upgrading from a Silverado 1500. I had lots of questions when deciding what to order for it - gas vs diesel, 2500 vs 3500, Big Horn vs Laramie... and color :) This site was great is helping me research and make my decision. My order is placed and I have a couple days to change anything if I want... the last item I am still up in the air on is if I should go with the 3.73 or 4.10. I have read a number of threads on the topic - many deal with older models prior to the new 8 speed tranny. From what I read, the 3.73 was inferior when it was with a 6 speed, but the 8 speed changes that a lot. My order currently has it with the 4.10, but after speaking with some truck friends (none of them have a 2019+ Ram 2500) they say I should certainly get the 3.73 and I am starting to second guess my decision.

My justification is it seems like people have gotten the 3.73 and wished they did the 4.10. Not many people are the opposite of that.
However my big fear is gas mileage will suffer a lot and RPMs will be obnoxious at high speeds. This will be my daily driver so if there will be a large (2 MPG or more) difference, that might persuade me to change to 3.73

Now that the 8 speed has been out for a couple years, was wondering if people have some feedback on their thoughts on the 3.73 vs 4.10 after a couple years of use. I read one post and I think I should get the 4.10. Then I read another post and think I should get the 3.73

It will be my daily driver and I typically put 15,000 miles per year on. Only 1,500 miles or so of that will be towing, and currently it is a small-ish TT camper (23 foot). I could see us moving up to a slightly larger camper at some point in the future, but it would only be 1 size up. Not a fiver or any kind of beast bumper pull. We live in Wisconsin and never leave the state to camp, so large hills and grades are not really a concern.
When not towing probably 50/50 in terms of city vs interstate driving. I plan on keeping it stock (famous last words!) but I don't know... they sure do look nice with a little bigger tires on them :) I certainly wouldn't want to base my decision on that tho as it may never happen

Anyone with a 2019+ 2500 who got one or the other and really regrets their decision? Anyone who has owned and driven both a lot who can provide some feedback?

This is probably the best topic on the issue. Very good read. After reading it all, sounds like there is no clear winner?

Another good disussion on the topic:

Another MPG discussion:

User in pretty much the exact same situation as me. This post was right when the new 8 speeds came out

I have the H/O and running 4:10’s. My reasoning is when I’m traveling in néed enough ass to get up the mountains and down the mountains (Rockies, Great divide, Grapevine, Sierra Nevada ‘s (Donner Summit), Cascades, Klamath mountains (Siskyou mountain range), out west w/o straining engine, tranny and axle combination.
My 5th wheel is 23k and some change on a CAT scale loaded down.

Having the truck to handle weight on steep descent is a huge deal as well as having the combo above to get the load up the mountain...

You’d be fine if you only hauling heavy on flat lands however if your looking to upgrade your payload and planning on doing some traveling in a mountainous area, you might wanna go with 4:10’s vs. 3:73’s. This powertrain/ axle combination is the happy medium for me.

BTW, my gas milage is between 15-16 MPG. If you go with (Revised from 4:73’s to 3:73’s) your milage will be worse (revised- because you would not have enough as send to tug up and down steep grades without putting a hurting on your axle. This bigger factor is actually your dissent from a mountain range and being able to control your speed going down that grade.)

Food for thought.

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
MPG is pretty much the only thing holding me back. I like the extra towing capacity (if ever needed), more pep around town and a better option for 35s if I want.

For arguments sake, lets assume gas is $3/gallon (currently around $2.35 by me for 87*)

15,000 miles @ avg 12 MPG = 1250 gallons x $3 = $3,750 / year in gas
15,000 miles @ avg 14 MPG = 1071 gallons x $3 = $3,213 / year in gas
Difference of around $540 more per year I will pay in fuel having the 4.10 (again, if my assumption/guess of 2 MPG is correct).

* This also assumes 87 is ok for these, which it sounds like it is - even tho Ram's website says it recommends Premium unleaded.

I think I would be fine with $500. If people tell me that there is a net 4 MPG difference, then we are talking near $1,300 per year difference - which would be tougher for me to swallow.
And I am not sure about this, but I would think if I ever wanted to sell it the 4.10 might be an advantage since they are more rare, but that's just a guess.
As an fyi: My owners manual say 89 (mid grade) octane is recommend, NOT Premium. You can use regular 87 octane but that just adjusts the timing and you end up burning a little more fuel and get a little less power. So I don't think you really save much by going with 87.

Pronto

Reaction score
As an fyi: My owners manual say 89 (mid grade) octane is recommend, NOT Premium. You can use regular 87 octane but that just adjusts the timing and you end up burning a little more fuel and get a little less power. So I don't think you really save much by going with 87.

Sometime during the 2020 MY, they changed the owner's manual so that it no longer recommends 89. My 2021 manual just recommends 87, no mention of 89 at all.

cmr287

Reaction score
I am assuming you meant 3.73?

Oh man... I did... I have to go back to revise. I threw the 4.73 in there as I was threw the Ford axel in there because I was just talking to a buddy about the 4:73 that Ford offers..

Thank you for the catch. Above is edited.

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myersd1

Reaction score
Something is wrong there or there was a hell of a wind
I wish I knew what it was. Not real happy. Pulled a 27'x7.5 wide with a lower roof and got 8.5 before this trip. It was very cold, 0 or below on the last trip. Less than 200 miles to a tank sucks.

myersd1

Reaction score
Here is last weekend. Only 2 sleds in the trailer, had to be less than 5000#. Same mileage as pulling it with 4 or 5 sleds in it. 8.5' wide, 29' long, 7' interior height. Less than 200 mile range pulling this trailer. Gonna have to do something else.

Attachments

• truck & trailer.jpg
    truck & trailer.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 43
  • MPG.jpg
    MPG.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 43

whitexc

Reaction score
Nice trailer.....on the list of nexts along with another sled, or two

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Aboutree50

Reaction score
Had this same debate in my head. Decided to go with 4.10 because bigger is better. But to be honest I'll never see myself towing anything that big. Right now my RV is only 28ft and weighs around 6k, but if I was to upgrade it wouldn't be to something so heavy that would require 4.10s.

My advise is to get 4.10s if you have a choice and the trucks are available. But you won't lose much by going 3.73s.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Here is last weekend. Only 2 sleds in the trailer, had to be less than 5000#. Same mileage as pulling it with 4 or 5 sleds in it. 8.5' wide, 29' long, 7' interior height. Less than 200 mile range pulling this trailer. Gonna have to do something else.
Perhaps not going 71mph would help when towing lol, one of the many reasons i wont buy a gasser i tow to often

Dunner

Reaction score
Yeah I came from a GM 2500hd Gas 6.0L 4:10 gears. Its a truck get the 4:10s. I'm not sure how much you drive but does a guy even miss 500$ a year for more towing capacity?

jm888

Reaction score
I keep going back and forth on this too but from what I gather from all of these different posts is that there really is not that much difference so hopefully that is true. If someone were going to drive this 20k miles a year and not tow, then maybe the small mileage difference might make a difference. But then some people have said it is essentially the same. I guess it all depends on how you drive, right? I think I am just going to go with 4.10 and be happy with it. Even if my trailer is only going to be around 7k pounds and well within the range of the 3.73, it can't hurt. If I am putting all of this money into a truck and a trailer, I am not going to worry about a small amount of fuel savings per year. I think whenever we get our new trucks, we will be so happy anyways and not worry about this minor stuff. Like the last poster said, it's a truck! I hope the OP is happy with their decision and I am going to get the 4.10 for sure now.

Greenhills

Reaction score
it honestly surprises me how much thought goes into fuel consumption. Your driving a 60-100k truck, likely towing 30-100k in toys / gear... few hundred bucks a year? Skip the coffees at the drivethrough... or don't and stop worrying about the literal chump change in the whole picture.

4.10's, you bought a truck to be capable, not fuel efficient.

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
I just went with 4:10's on my order. Fuel economy wasnt a concern thanks to a company fuel card, so I went with a little shorter gear to give it a little more when I'm occasionally towing the giant parachute that is my pontoon boat, or plowing heavy snow.

Firebird

Reaction score
I will say, I often read posts where folks regret not going 4.10 gears, but so far, I don't think I've read one where they wish they went with 3.73's

dm6

Reaction score
This thread along with the others have also made me feel confident with 4.10. While I am not going to ONLY tow with this, it will primarily be a recreational vehicle used to go up in the mountains, etc. I don't have a trailer yet but even if it ends up not being that large, it sounds like 4.10s won't hurt. Plus I will probably put less than 5k miles on the truck per year so it sounds like a no brainer. For future proofing the truck for extra towing if needed and for better acceleration or power when needed, sounds like it is worth the extra $145. Great info here!

Moose074

Reaction score
I will say, I often read posts where folks regret not going 4.10 gears, but so far, I don't think I've read one where they wish they went with 3.73's

Ok I’ll bite, I loved my Tundra with the 4:30 rearend, I hated my Powerstroke with the 3:55 don’t get me wrong I got to the top never struggled but it was just seemed sluggish. I took my 2018 CTD to Pikes Peak then back roads to Estes Park never missed a beat. That was in a SO now i have the HO I won’t even know trailer is there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread