Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you keep something in the receiver to prevent rear end damage if someone bumps into you?

jm888

Reaction score
I was just thinking how much damage even a minor bump to the bumper would cause, or even just someone pulling too close and bumping into it while parking. Do you guys keep a hitch ball or something else in the receiver at all times so somebody would hit that first before your bumper?

Darkside

Reaction score
I was actually told by a collision repair place that you have a higher chance of frame damage if you get rear ended with a hitch in, he said it usually is cheaper to do a bumper repair than a damaged frame. Personally I think your receiver is going to get hit either way…

jm888

Reaction score
I don't mean like a rear end collision. I am just talking about where someone might lightly bump you while pulling up too far to park. Something where it would probably scratch up the bumper.

dslbrnr

Reaction score
Keep my hitch on all the time. It folds in but I leave it out just because I've been rear ended several times in parking lots. Nothing like a greased up ball in some idiots radiator! Hasn't damaged my truck at all lol

Attachments

• IMG-3889.jpg
    IMG-3889.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 46

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Solid steel Smittybuilt. Lots of uses including parking lot protection. Got it on Amazon 5 years ago. Heavy but effective. Good for tow strap attachment as well.View attachment 48855
Yup run a beaver tail on both of my trucks. Gottem at crapy tire on sale years ago. Wife’s Jeep I run a big ass cast hook for quick hook- ups.

AJ608

Reaction score
Keep my hitch on all the time. It folds in but I leave it out just because I've been rear ended several times in parking lots. Nothing like a greased up ball in some idiots radiator! Hasn't damaged my truck at all lol
I do exactly the same ..leave the ol BW hanging out in the breeze

Users who are viewing this thread