Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you think Laramie or Big Horn seats will hold up longer?

jm888

Reaction score
I know there are posts about leather vs. cloth, but a lot of that seemed focused on the higher end Limited leather seats which I would imagine are much nicer than the Laramie. I am very close to finally pulling the trigger but stuck on these two seats. The cloth seats in the Big Horn feel very comfortable but I wonder how they will be for any spills, dirt, etc. since the black cloth seats are not a very dark black. That being said, I am very careful and even my kids don't make much of a mess or spill. Then with the Laramie, I wonder if they will be more prone to cracking over time or looking worse. Which ones do you think will hold up better 10 or 15 years down the road doing typical truck stuff (outdoors stuff, etc.)? This truck won't used every day either so I will probably be a lot less hard on them than a lot of people.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Long term, both will look their age. But cloth will look dirty and usually that can be fixed.
Leather or leatherette is going to crack or flake. That is much harder to fix.

Dirty, cracked leather look the nastiest imho.

Still, I prefer leather LOL

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The cloth seats in my 04.5 were in great shape after 16 years. That said, it only had 72K miles on the clock and I kept it pretty clean.

jm888

Reaction score
I understand some people are going to heavily use their trucks for work or whatever and go 25k miles per year or more and I guess in that case I wouldn't expect the truck to last 15 years. But based on my past experience, I definitely expect it last that long as I don't plan to put that many miles on it. I am not really familiar with different types of leather on modern cars but if this is not considered that high quality of leather, then I can see what someone meant by that. I have cloth seats in my 12 year old car and they look fine. Thanks for the input.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I would rather not get the lower grade leather in the Laramie and instead option up a Big Horn to my standards and then go get the MUCH higher quality Katzkin seat covering installed.
I'll add that the Katzkin seats seem to be a quality grade of leather and hold up pretty well. Assuming you clean them off and condition them once or twice a year.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I would rather not get the lower grade leather in the Laramie and instead option up a Big Horn to my standards and then go get the MUCH higher quality Katzkin seat covering installed.

^ Exactly what I did. I got a Big Horn with cloth and replaced it with much better quality Katzkin leather.

jm888

Reaction score
^ Exactly what I did. I got a Big Horn with cloth and replaced it with much better quality Katzkin leather.

How much did it cost to replace with the Katzkin? Do the heated seats st
still work?

MtnRider

Reaction score
How much did it cost to replace with the Katzkin? Do the heated seats st
still work?

Got mine installed by a Katzkin dealer for $960 (mega cab) and yes the heated seats work just as before.

dm6

Reaction score
I know there are posts about leather vs. cloth, but a lot of that seemed focused on the higher end Limited leather seats which I would imagine are much nicer than the Laramie. I am very close to finally pulling the trigger but stuck on these two seats. The cloth seats in the Big Horn feel very comfortable but I wonder how they will be for any spills, dirt, etc. since the black cloth seats are not a very dark black. That being said, I am very careful and even my kids don't make much of a mess or spill. Then with the Laramie, I wonder if they will be more prone to cracking over time or looking worse. Which ones do you think will hold up better 10 or 15 years down the road doing typical truck stuff (outdoors stuff, etc.)? This truck won't used every day either so I will probably be a lot less hard on them than a lot of people.

Got mine installed by a Katzkin dealer for $960 (mega cab) and yes the heated seats work just as before.

That's all it costs?? I am sort of in the same boat where I have a good Big Horn build ready to go and then a comparable one with a Laramie is about $4k more so I am going back and forth. I think this just helped me out too because I do not think that Laramie interior is worth $4k more, right? Maybe it is a good idea to go with the Big Horn and see how you like the seats and if they don't hold up, get the Katzkins later on then you will have a brand new truck again!

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
If my Laramie seats look bad in 10 years I will go with a replacement like Katzkins. I know the cloth in my 2007 needed to be replaced on my driver's seat after 11 years with only 100K on it.

whitexc

Reaction score
It's also in how you enter and exit the truck. I don't slide in and out of my vehicles. Some people do and their seats are shot....no matter what the material is.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
It's also in how you enter and exit the truck. I don't slide in and out of my vehicles. Some people do and their seats are shot....no matter what the material is.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Yep. And how many entry and exits you have. I had less than 100K but a lot of short trips meant a lot of entry and exits. Although I had Amp steps which makes it easy to enter and exit without sliding.

dm6

Reaction score
OP, I was curious about this myself and just called Katzkin and they said a recover of everything with an OEM color black, grey, or beige is $1500 installed, or you can get more custom styles for $1900.

MtnRider

Reaction score
That's all it costs??

That's all it cost me. With that said I have seen them around ~$1500 give or take as well getting quotes through the Ram dealer. I have a local (authorized) Katzkin dealer/installer near me and that's what I paid going through them. This was factory black leather color with perforated seat and back sections (front and rear) also includes the jump seat and console lid. You can pick what ever color and stitching color you would like as well as different perforation styles etc. This was a legitimate business, not someones backyard shop either.

One thing to note is that you cannot get the Ram logo embossed on the seats (like factory) unless you go through the Ram dealer (you can get just about anything else though, just not the copyrighted Ram logo). It wasn't worth the extra $500 to me.

Frank

Reaction score
I had a few King Ranches and the original saddle leather was ruined easily. I was poking around what to do about it and saw I could buy factory replacement skins fairly cheap. Obviously I want my stuff to last, but after that aha moment I don't fret over some of these things lasting forever. I'd rather use it and replace it at the 8 year mark than baby it to last 15 years. Seats, carpet, mats, heck even some plastics are cheap and easy to replace if you want to go the distance.

Users who are viewing this thread