Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding camera to Digital Rearview Mirror

Killa B

Reaction score
I’m wanting to add the digital rearview mirror to my 2021 Longhorn 2500. I have the 5 camera set up already but just the auto dimming mirror, can this be bought and plug and play? Or is this something that requires unlocking.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I’m wanting to add the digital rearview mirror to my 2021 Longhorn 2500. I have the 5 camera set up already but just the auto dimming mirror, can this be bought and plug and play? Or is this something that requires unlocking.

Does your third brake light have 2 cameras or just one? if it only has one camera, you would need to change the third brake light to the one that has the second camera for the digital mirror and get the digital rearview mirror.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Yes, on a 2021 you can swap in the DRVM and it will work plug n play with no programming, but you’ll lose the auto dim feature.
The mirror is 68448639AB
The CHMSL is 68465998AA, and includes both cameras.
You’ll also need a 10’ length of female to female fakra z cable:

breedlove23

Reaction score
Sorry if this is not completely related to this post but I have a quick question. I just ordered a 2022 Big Horn with the digital rearview mirror. I forgot to add the cargo camera to my order. Called the dealer and VIN was already assigned. Then I remembered I ordered the digital rearview mirror. Does the cargo camera automatically come with this option? It doesn't say it on the build sheet or when I built it online.

rauan

Reaction score
Sorry if this is not completely related to this post but I have a quick question. I just ordered a 2022 Big Horn with the digital rearview mirror. I forgot to add the cargo camera to my order. Called the dealer and VIN was already assigned. Then I remembered I ordered the digital rearview mirror. Does the cargo camera automatically come with this option? It doesn't say it on the build sheet or when I built it online.

As far as I know trailer tow camera is a separate line item in configuration. It costs around ~$500, I think the site is not updated
87556dbac85c91bb32560bde5ab6f189.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rauan

Reaction score
Yes, on a 2021 you can swap in the DRVM and it will work plug n play with no programming, but you’ll lose the auto dim feature.
The mirror is 68448639AB

Is it possible to also add wired tow mode camera to the list above and have it working together?

I am thinking to add to my half-ton truck if it even possible.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Is it possible to also add wired tow mode camera to the list above and have it working together?

I am thinking to add to my half-ton truck if it even possible.

No. That mirror is only for 2021, as it only has one camera input for the CHMSL camera.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know trailer tow camera is a separate line item in configuration. It costs around ~$500, I think the site is not updated
87556dbac85c91bb32560bde5ab6f189.jpg

He's asking about the cargo camera, not trailer camera.

rauan

Reaction score
No. That mirror is only for 2021, as it only has one camera input for the CHMSL camera.

Can I use that connection for wired tow camera instead of rearview for back of the truck?

breedlove23

Reaction score
He's asking about the cargo camera, not trailer camera.
Yup. I got the wired trailer camera. I guess to put it more simply. Is it possible to order the digital rear view mirror and not get the cargo camera? How many configurations are possible for the CHMSL?

Killa B

Reaction score
The mirror is 68448639AB
Thank you so much for that information, I’m gathering all the parts now and waiting on my tech to get back with me on install time and price. Once I get all the information, I’ll post on here so anyone interested will have an ideas of what’s in store.

dsneill

Reaction score
Perfect!
Hopefully the dealer can locate that part for me and the price isn't too prohibitive.
Otherwise Patriot Motor Sports option might be preferable. I'd need a camera housing though.
I have been looking for it since November 2021 and still no dealer has it listed as of Feb 2022 from Illinois to Texas

RatichetClank

Reaction score
The mirror is 68448639AB
Do you think this "cargo camera kit" can be added to a 2020 Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel, that came with only the digital "tailgate" backup camera?

Shu3436

Reaction score
I moved my Camera from the 3rd brake lamp assembly to the rear of my ARE topper. It works great!! I just had a custom Fakra cable made with some extra length as I plan to mount it on a 8-10" surfboard fin above the Topper so I can see into the boats while towing.

I am also going to move the Cargo Cam from the 3rd brake lamp to a high point above the Cab so I can toggle between what is in the boat or behind me to my immediate surroundings for blind spot mitigation.

What you will need is: https://www.pasternack.com/fakra-cable-assemblies-category.aspx
PE38756B-96White FAKRA Plug to FAKRA Jack Cable Using RG316 Coax

Here is a livestream video when I first discovered the cable would work.

This article has been very useful. I just order my ARE cap and was wondering what the final outcome was? Do you know what connection is on the cargo camera? I was thinking of trying to fit a 3rd brake light on the ARE and moving both cameras back there.

kpecks

Reaction score
This article has been very useful. I just order my ARE cap and was wondering what the final outcome was? Do you know what connection is on the cargo camera? I was thinking of trying to fit a 3rd brake light on the ARE and moving both cameras back there.
No need for cargo camera... unless you absolutely want another camera back there but you already have the tailgate camera

This was my solution:
E63B7158-CF1C-49BB-93AF-C1B570FC18D5.jpeg676A7459-D764-4844-B2B8-ED47D8700262.jpeg

rauan

Reaction score
The mirror is 68448639AB

Because I won’t get a digital rear-view mirror on my 2022 Ram 1500 I think I could install it for trailer rear view. I am thinking to buy a digital rearview mirror itself, camera and two cables. One cable from mirror to the back of my truck and the second one from back of the truck to the camera in back of the trailer.

If I find camera kit that is sold with HD trucks, then I would just need a mirror and ~10ft cable.

It would be great to have that upgrade for both back of the truck and to the back of the trailer like on HD trucks, but it looks like it is not an option.

jtolen

Reaction score
Mopar can not get it with out ordering the whole kit
any chance some one would know where to get this connector?

Attachments​

• camera connector Capture.JPG
    camera connector Capture.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 11
Did anyone ever figure out what this connector is? I have the extra camera coming on my order, and I want to be able to move the camera from my travel trailer to my bumper/hitch when I have something blocking the camera at the top of the cab.

It would be nice to do that without having to move the cable each time, and also not having to bundle up 40+ feet when all I need is likely less than 1 foot. If I could make or buy an appropriate cable of the correct length, that would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance for the help!

sstoner911

Reaction score
Did anyone ever figure out what this connector is? I have the extra camera coming on my order, and I want to be able to move the camera from my travel trailer to my bumper/hitch when I have something blocking the camera at the top of the cab.

It would be nice to do that without having to move the cable each time, and also not having to bundle up 40+ feet when all I need is likely less than 1 foot. If I could make or buy an appropriate cable of the correct length, that would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance for the help!
FAKRA connector.

The digital review mirror is nice because there are 2 cameras located in the third brake light - one can be moved up and down if the cargo bed is full of stuff and give you a view of the road behind you.

Users who are viewing this thread