Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calibrated Power tune 2020 2500 cummins

John Jensen

Reaction score
I tow 9000 to 10,000 pounds when camping, and I only average around 10.5 mpg, but I have a dually. Another 2mpg would be awesome if possible. Haven't done an unloaded trip, as we use the truck to pull the camper
I tow 9500 lb camping pull trailer 3-4 times a year, 240 miles r/t over mountains and into the desert for dry camping.
I put it on cruise at 60 or 65mph and tow haul, and she pulls effortlessly using 5th and 6th gears. Early on I was getting 9.3mpg and now at 6000 miles it went to 12.5 going and 11.5mpg returning (EVIC numbers as haven't refilled yet)

Voyou

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the HD world and about to pull the trigger on the EZlynk 5 tunes package.

But I do have a rookie question.

Went through the 10 pages and my understanding is that the 5 tunes package includes the tranny tune/remap, am I right?

Can't find a standalone tune for the 68RFE on the CP website.

From their FAQ:

"Cummins trucks that support TCM tuning are typically a PCM so it is all built into one file. "

So it's a turnkey package =>install, tranny re-learn & enjoy?

TIA

Jeff

John Jensen

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the HD world and about to pull the trigger on the EZlynk 5 tunes package.

Went through the 10 pages and my understanding is that the 5 tunes package includes the tranny tune/remap, am I right?

From their FAQ:

"Cummins trucks that support TCM tuning are typically a PCM so it is all built into one file. "

TIA

Jeff
Welcome to the HD world

Yep, They have to tune the 68RFE, so it can shift better and handle the power.
Strange that you can't find 68RFE only mods. It's common to mod that tranny.
I have an Aisin, so I can't elaborate, but there are plenty of 2500 owners who can, maybe they'll chime in

RSA964993

Reaction score

From their FAQ:

TIA

Jeff
Everything included in the files. You hook up the EZ link connector to the OBD II that’s under the dashboard, link your phone to the EZ link “WiFi Network” and then open the Auto Agent App and follow the instruction. This is of course after you’ve purchased everything and they‘ve sent you the files. There is a modification to the OBD II plug which is basically a bypass cable that you do once when you first get everything sent to you. That’s done once and pretty straight forward.

Here’s what you’ll see on the app and you select the one you want and load it. It takes about 15 minutes to load the tune.

Attachments

• FBCE786A-B48C-48D7-896A-7C191E33AF7C.jpeg
    FBCE786A-B48C-48D7-896A-7C191E33AF7C.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 81

Voyou

Reaction score
Everything included in the files. You hook up the EZ link connector to the OBD II that’s under the dashboard, link your phone to the EZ link “WiFi Network” and then open the Auto Agent App and follow the instruction. This is of course after you’ve purchased everything and they‘ve sent you the files. There is a modification to the OBD II plug which is basically a bypass cable that you do once when you first get everything sent to you. That’s done once and pretty straight forward.

Here’s what you’ll see on the app and you select the one you want and load it. It takes about 15 minutes to load the tune.
Thanks for all the info! I'm ready to order I guess ;)

John Jensen

Reaction score

Good explanation
I have a good bypass cable, but CP suggested I get theirs for ease of use and to ensure compatibility.
A bypass cable is a bypass cable, compatibility should not be an issue. Regardless, I bought theirs and glad I did as it plugs right into the EZ-link cable and no OBDII mods are needed. It's so unobtrusive I leave it plugged into the truck tucked into the top of the kick panel. Whenever I want to change back to stock tune for a dealer visit the bypass cable is right there making it easy-peasy.

MtnRider

Reaction score

From their FAQ:

TIA

Jeff

The trans tuning is on the ECU so it's a "all-in-one" tune, engine and transmission in the same file. There is no separate trans tune. When you flash your ECU it includes both.

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Good info here.

No shift on the fly yet for 19+ guys eh?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Good info here.

No shift on the fly yet for 19+ guys eh?
SOTF would be the tuners programing i suspect they have just adapted to the option to switch from your phone due to people not wanting to drill a hole in their dash?

RSA964993

Reaction score
FYI- Shift on the fly just came out on the Calibrated Tunes and I just upgraded. Someone had asked earlier about if it was offered and now it is. I should have it soon.

John Jensen

Reaction score
FYI- Shift on the fly just came out on the Calibrated Tunes and I just upgraded. Someone had asked earlier about if it was offered and now it is. I should have it soon.
Thanks for the heads up. Been waiting, I'll get on it in the morning

Riddick

Reaction score
Its great to hear they released the SOTF for the 19-21 trucks. Hopefully they can start to focus on the 22 trucks and release tuning software.

spinned

Reaction score
I read something somewhere that the dealer can detect if the factory tune was modified and returned to stock for warranty work. Is that true? I wouldn’t be able to install a tune if there was a chance of voiding my warranty.

John Jensen

Reaction score
That's true. If they want, they can see how many times the ECU has been flashed and compare to how many times they flashed it. My Service Manager knows that both of my trucks are tuned and supports them. The problem comes when you have a serious failure that is engine related, Chrysler will take a close look, see it has been over flashed and may or may not honor the warranty. You are taking a warranty risk when you tune.

That's my layman understanding.

John Jensen

Reaction score
The SOFT switch is great, works better than advertised. Prior to having the switch, I did not play with the tunes, the process to change tunes is easy but requires effort and time. Since I mainly tow, I just left it in Heavy Tow most of the time. With the switch, I began running the Calibrated optimized stock tune. It is a great tune! I'll be running it for local driving, stay with the Heavy Tow for towing, and play with all tunes according to driving or terrain conditions when tripping to Oregon in September. The Oregon trip is 1900 miles round trip through mountains, flat lands and stop & go LA traffic, all on freeways and highways. It will be fun to "play", and maybe surprise an arrogant Ford with the Sport (was Race) tune.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
The SOFT switch is great, works better than advertised. Prior to having the switch, I did not play with the tunes, the process to change tunes is easy but requires effort and time. Since I mainly tow, I just left it in Heavy Tow most of the time. With the switch, I began running the Calibrated optimized stock tune. It is a great tune! I'll be running it for local driving, stay with the Heavy Tow for towing, and play with all tunes according to driving or terrain conditions when tripping to Oregon in September. The Oregon trip is 1900 miles round trip through mountains, flat lands and stop & go LA traffic, all on freeways and highways. It will be fun to "play", and maybe surprise an arrogant Ford with the Sport (was Race) tune.

This is great news. I need to take the plunge on this one of these days.

Users who are viewing this thread