Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calibrated Power tune 2020 2500 cummins

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ziggy, Congrats on your new ride.
Here's the Alfa settings:
Truck Speed - Maximum:
Car Model> Ram 3500> Function> Engine> Select Control Unit>
Diesel Cummins 2018+ MY2013+ Powernet> Connect> Select Hood Open icon>
Select Procedure to Start> Set Max Vehicle Speed> Program Customer Features>
Enter Speed> KPH

Maybe my story is why it's no longer in EZ Lynk
I just tried this on my 2020 and now have to go to the dealer to get my PCM reflashed back to OEM settings.
It was my own fault because I entered the new maximum speed in MPH, it has to be in KPH. My entry was accepted but Alpha (or the PCM, not sure) converted my MPH entry to the equivalent KPH, so now my truck's maximum speed is 69MPH. And tried as hard as I could, I was locked out from correcting it. What I have since learned from Google is you can only change the OEM maximum speed setting one time. Only a dealer can make the next change. So, do this with some caution.

I did the same with Maximum Cruise Control (MPH instead of KPH). Now my Cruise will only set up to 53 MPH. And like Maximum Speed, I cannot correct it.

Those two entries produced two permanent codes, U0415 and U1412.

Sorry for the lengthy reply but I don't want you to go through what I'm going through. I'll know next week what this error is going to cost me. I have an extended warranty but this one was caused by me.

FWIW, I was never able to affect the change in max speed using AlfaOBD that took the setting 500KPH, but never exceeded 102MPH.

I was able to get the Max Cruise speed set/disabled and can now set it all the way to vehicle max speed (or maybe it tops at 99). Just check it the other day as I was thinking about it and was able to set it at 96MPH. Tried again nearing 100 and it wouldn't set. Kind of ran out of road/time to try again to see the exact speed it won't take.

This isn't the first "brick" or lockout I've heard of making an attempt, so I'll probably not fiddle with mine again. I do need to get into the ECU and disable the idle timeout I set. I thought it would be useful but its just become somewhat of an annoyance.

Ziggy

Reaction score
FWIW, I was never able to affect the change in max speed using AlfaOBD that took the setting 500KPH, but never exceeded 102MPH.

I was able to get the Max Cruise speed set/disabled and can now set it all the way to vehicle max speed (or maybe it tops at 99). Just check it the other day as I was thinking about it and was able to set it at 96MPH. Tried again nearing 100 and it wouldn't set. Kind of ran out of road/time to try again to see the exact speed it won't take.

This isn't the first "brick" or lockout I've heard of making an attempt, so I'll probably not fiddle with mine again. I do need to get into the ECU and disable the idle timeout I set. I thought it would be useful but its just become somewhat of an annoyance.
Thanks for the info. I am completely disheartened at the lockdown Stellantis has imposed. Now I have to wait for someone to figure out how to override the settings that we have been able to do in the 22 year models going back. Should have never traded my 21, it was setup exactly as I wanted. The 23 is not worth the money and there are many settings we cant change now.

Thanks again John and Brutal, your knowledge is greatly appreciated!

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
Speaking of shocking developments, am I the only one seeing the $4,300 tune for 2022's on Calibrated Power's website (out of stockl?

I was on the fence at $1,000 or so, for earlier tunes. At $4,300, the fence isn't even in sight!

Ziggy

Reaction score
Speaking of shocking developments, am I the only one seeing the $4,300 tune for 2022's on Calibrated Power's website (out of stockl?

I was on the fence at $1,000 or so, for earlier tunes. At $4,300, the fence isn't even in sight!

And I am afraid what the cost will be for the 23s, considering all the R&D that will be needed to code for the tunes.

Reactions: CFE

CFE

Reaction score

Yea it's pricy - I know it requires either your OEM ECU or one from a junker for them to reprogram/remap the ECU. What was the requirement on older Gens?

Ziggy

Reaction score
Yea it's pricy - I know it requires either your OEM ECU or one from a junker for them to reprogram/remap the ECU. What was the requirement on older Gens?
For my 21, it was a direct write to the truck, and they supplied a bunch of tunes designed for sport driving to heavy tow. They were great and really made a huge difference in performance and getting rid of the dead pedal. I could even revert back to the stock tune. It sucks being back in a stock tune.

Riddick

Reaction score
The price from CP includes everything required even the new ECM. If you shop around you can find ECUs and send it to them to be flashed, will save you some money for sure. I tuned my 22 last week through them and have a thread in the Performance section if you wish to read, I describe the process from start to finish. When they first released tuning for the new trucks it started at 3200, then rose to 3700, not its 4200. Someone could eventually crack the 22+ ECM but no-one has yet. Everyone is scooping up the used ECMs and ordering blank ones from Cummins which is driving the price up. Used ECUs will continue to be more scarce and new ECU prices are driven by demand.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I paid 1220.00 in 2020 for the tuning Ziggy mentioned. That included their 5 tunes and their bypass cable. Then when they came out with their SOTF I added that @ 265.00.

MtnRider

Reaction score
The price from CP includes everything required even the new ECM. If you shop around you can find ECUs and send it to them to be flashed, will save you some money for sure.

^ I'd be careful buying your own. There are more and more reports of bricked ECM being sold on places like Ebay, used, etc. Some of the tuners were sourcing used ones but have since stopped because so many were already bricked. It's risky at this point.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
On their order page, they mention sending in your, non-tuned ECU/ECM for $500 refund...still ridiculous if your're thinking around $1,000 or so.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Update regarding my post #220 about my Alfa changing max speed, creating codes and problems.

Now I'm not sure if I caused the problems. I've been told my Alfa entries would not create the permanent codes, etc. And each time I start the truck, new problems arise. I currently have lights on the EVIC, steps won't deploy unless the ignition is on, my surround cameras quit working, speedo and odometer quit working, etc. On my last startup, there were only two permanent codes. Took it to the dealer this morning and there are now at least 33 codes. All related to the mentioned problems and EVIC lights, plus some more.

Dealer and I now suspect the failures my my changing tire size were coincidental, probably not anything I did.
Will be interesting what the dealer discovers.

Riddick

Reaction score
Update regarding my post #220 about my Alfa changing max speed, creating codes and problems.

Now I'm not sure if I caused the problems. I've been told my Alfa entries would not create the permanent codes, etc. And each time I start the truck, new problems arise. I currently have lights on the EVIC, steps won't deploy unless the ignition is on, my surround cameras quit working, speedo and odometer quit working, etc. On my last startup, there were only two permanent codes. Took it to the dealer this morning and there are now at least 33 codes. All related to the mentioned problems and EVIC lights, plus some more.

Dealer and I now suspect the failures my my changing tire size were coincidental, probably not anything I did.
Will be interesting what the dealer discovers.
John, do you plan on tuning your ruck again when you get it back, plan on using Alpha OBD for anything? Let us know if the dealers is able to fix everything on your truck .

John Jensen

Reaction score
John, do you plan on tuning your ruck again when you get it back, plan on using Alpha OBD for anything? Let us know if the dealers is able to fix everything on your truck .
I'll definitely load the Calibrated SOFT tune back in.
Yes, will be using Alfa to do basic things like, copy the new log/record file, make a backup of new file, fogs on high beams, tire circumference, gear number next to odometer, correct heat seat and steering wheel settings, and delete seat belt alarm. I will not touch max speed or max cruise control.
Dealer's electrical tech doesn't think it's anything major. He's fixing it today, I will post an update on findings, fix and cost

John Jensen

Reaction score
I'll definitely load the Calibrated SOFT tune back in.
Yes, will be using Alfa to do basic things like, copy the new log/record file, make a backup of new file, fogs on high beams, tire circumference, gear number next to odometer, correct heat seat and steering wheel settings, and delete seat belt alarm. I will not touch max speed or max cruise control.
Dealer's electrical tech doesn't think it's anything major. He's fixing it today, I will post an update on findings, fix and cost
Update
Got my truck back today. They reprogrammed all modules and restored the truck configuration, so they say. It's covered under my extended warranty but they charged me $308.00 because I entered the module to change "oversized" tire settings. I told them I was truthful, and that they have taught me to lie. Their response was, "That would have worked".

Here's the BS! They didn't reprogram all modules to factory configuration. The truck's top speed is still 68mph, the Cruise is still set at 53mph, it still shows my gear next to the odometer (which is not a factory setting), and whatever else, I don't know. They did restore my steps to deploy, my odometer and my speedometer. and my surround sound cameras. By the way, I have factory size tires.

Will return it to the dealer after the Holiday. It sure makes a difference of who's in charge. With the great Service Manager who quit this dealership, this crap would have never happened. Now it seems like it's just another one of those dealerships that others complain about

Riddick

Reaction score
John, did you reach out to Calibrated Power to see if they can send you an updated tune file with a different speed limiter? I'm pretty sure they have the ability to change this setting.

John Jensen

Reaction score
John, did you reach out to Calibrated Power to see if they can send you an updated tune file with a different speed limiter? I'm pretty sure they have the ability to change this setting.
A good suggestion. No, I did not because I'm OK with the factory setting, just trying to get the dealer to make the corrections.

John Jensen

Reaction score
A good suggestion. No, I did not because I'm OK with the factory setting, just trying to get the dealer to make the corrections.
Riddick,
Your suggestion caused me to load my Calibrated SOFT tunes. Lo and behold, the tune did not max my speed at 68mph, It acted normal, except the Cruise was still maxed at 53mph. So it's back to stock and going to dealer after the holiday. I pulled the Body log and it still has all of my factory changes and the wrong max speed and cruise settings. The tech for sure did not return the ECM to factory configuration.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Have you tried restoring a backup with Alfa?
Good idea. No, only because I have an ext warranty and wanted the dealer to restore back to the factory config. Plus was unable to clear the two permanent codes, Alfa said to see the dealer. Was too naive to think they would cover it rather than deny warranty because I had changed tire size with a "foreign" product. In retrospect, should have tried the restore path and if didn't clear codes, then see the dealer.

Riddick

Reaction score
Sorry to hear John, was hoping flashing the computer might fix it. Never fun to go back to the dealer, hope they get it squared away for you.

Users who are viewing this thread