Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do people like cab/clearance lights so much?

Redfour5

Reaction score
I agree....the cab lights mean something big is coming and they don't want to get squashed....
I believe the person you were responding to and his observation and your response just encompassed the bottom line. I have always been ambivalent about them. Now not so much and am coming to appreciate their value.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I put mine in the grill and avoided the holes in my roof.

Attachments

• A5B741A9-934E-43FD-AAC1-CEF5B49274A0.jpeg
    A5B741A9-934E-43FD-AAC1-CEF5B49274A0.jpeg
    543 KB · Views: 31

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I put mine in the grill and avoided the holes in my roof.
Interesting, don't know if I've ever seen that. Not sure if they would pass muster since the requirement is to be "as high as practicable", hence why they're normally on top of the cab but if you never pull a trailer large enough to require them it won't matter anyway.

jadmt

Reaction score
Interesting, don't know if I've ever seen that. Not sure if they would pass muster since the requirement is to be "as high as practicable", hence why they're normally on top of the cab but if you never pull a trailer large enough to require them it won't matter anyway.
That is how the Ford raptor and TRX do it.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
The three lights in the middle are called identification lights.
The clearance lights are on top of my trailer. I’ll have to find my DOT manual and look it up. I hauled that manual around in my briefcase for almost 40 years and in 35 states.

Last edited:

cbrenthus

Reaction score
I have no practical reason for them but I like the way they look and my PW will be the first vehicle I've ever had with them, and I can't wait. I also like that Ram does the old school single light for each light, and I don't like the way GM and Ford use a single unit for the middle 3.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I don’t like the extra holes in the roof. It was bad enough that some of the manufacturers of big rigs started putting them in the sun visors to eliminate the leaks. Used to have to drill 1/8” holes in the bottom of the lenses to let condensation out to keep them from corroding the connectors.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Clearance Lights on the truck have nothing to do with the trailer as it should have its own. A trailer will not pass inspection here if it does not have them as who knows what vehicle the owner will use to pull it

Last edited:

OLEJOE

Reaction score
How many Tahoes and half ton pickups have you seen with clearance lights pulling Travel trailers? The lights are on the trailers. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) is in the Federal DOT handbook and it lists every required light, color and location.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Agreed, clearance and ID lights are required on trailers of a certain size but when they're on the truck and you have a DOT number on the side of your truck, there are FMCSA requirements listed in the manual that dictate the location, and it's not in the grille. Like mentioned earlier, when they're in the grille, they're simply chicken lights as they will not meet any DOT requirements.

I guess they look cool in the grille, not sure why they didn't add more all over the truck:)

arx237

Reaction score
I agree....the cab lights mean something big is coming and they don't want to get squashed....
This might be kinda debatable now with the super high power led's. So frickin blinding you can't really see much behind them. Even decked out 18 wheelers are getting harder to see behind them headlights.

cbrenthus

Reaction score
And I don't think anyone mentioned that the power wagons are not required to have clearance lights by the DOT, but they are required by the FAA due to the factory lift :p

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
And I don't think anyone mentioned that the power wagons are not required to have clearance lights by the DOT, but they are required by the FAA due to the factory lift :p
Technically if its from the factory at that hight its not a lift but actually regular height

Jacob

Reaction score
I was looking at my 5th wheel the other day and noticed it doesn't have the 3 lights in the middle in the front. Just the corners. Is that normal?
Looked at pics of other campers on here and I guese it is normal. I was just confused because my cargo trailer has them in the middle.
20210625_110143.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Agreed, clearance and ID lights are required on trailers of a certain size but when they're on the truck and you have a DOT number on the side of your truck, there are FMCSA requirements listed in the manual that dictate the location, and it's not in the grille. Like mentioned earlier, when they're in the grille, they're simply chicken lights as they will not meet any DOT requirements.

I guess they look cool in the grille, not sure why they didn't add more all over the truck:)
They are required on the TRX and Raptor because the fenders put the width of the body over 80”. The TRX has the three in the hood scoop and two on the outer most front fender. Same with the rear- center light bar, and red markers on the outer rear fenders. No matter what nomenclature for the lights you want to use, they are required, and meet the requirements for clearance lights. Apparently “as high as practicable” leaves some room for interpretation for the manufacturer.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I was looking at my 5th wheel the other day and noticed it doesn't have the 3 lights in the middle in the front. Just the corners. Is that normal?
Looked at pics of other campers on here and I guese it is normal. I was just confused because my cargo trailer has them in the middle.
View attachment 36994
Technically speaking it only needs the 2 on the front cap indicating the outside corners thats the minimum requirements. And really the 3 center lights is more to complete the look

Reaction score
i was never really into cab lights but a lot of these bighorn night editions seem to come with them, i looked at 3 of these trucks and they all had cab lights.. they are really hit or miss for a lot of people, that being said i didn't mind them when i got the truck it wasn't a deal breaker by any means. I have the recon ice white ones and i think that will it look a little cleaner but im having trouble installing...
22 ram.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread