Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do people like cab/clearance lights so much?

jadmt

Reaction score
I never really understood why people want them. I know if your rig is over 80" wide they are required per NHTSA but we are just under that so no real legal reason to run them (except duallies). Mirrors and flares don't count towards the 80"'s either. Power Wagons come with them but I wish mine did not. pain to wax around and one more place for water to leak in. I know they help on coming traffic judge your width but when I meet a full size truck I am seeing their headlights not looking at the tops of their cabs. Is there more compelling reasons I am missing? thanks.

Last edited:

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
I never really understood why people want them. I know if your rig is over 80" wide they are required per NHTSA but we are just under that so no real legal reason to run them. Mirrors and flares don't count towards the 80"'s either. Power Wagons come with them but I wish mine did not. pain to wax around and one more place for water to leak in. I know they help on coming traffic judge your width but when I meet a full size truck I am seeing their headlights not looking at the tops of their cabs. Is there more compelling reasons I am missing? thanks.
Imo for the trucks that don't need them it's just like the light bars on jeeps....looks...

MtnRider

Reaction score
I like them and have a need for them. Why they come on a Power Wagon (other then looks) is questionable though.

el_barto

Reaction score
I think they look great. When I see an HD Ram without them at night it almost looks a bit “naked”, since the mirrors have the Amber running lights.
But If my truck didn’t come with them I don’t think I’d be drilling holes in the roof to add them lol.

I agree I’m not sure why it’s automatically part of the Power Wagon trim. People say it’s because of the height with the factory ride height or the width with the flares…but the Tradesman PW doesn’t get the cab lights automatically so IDK. I think it should be optional, but for the $95 they charge might as well get it!

61846C3D-28F3-4070-AF45-BADF095975EA.jpeg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Roof looks bare without them but in my case i need them legally because of the plow width…

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Actually, I didn't want them but the truck I found had them. I am glad I have them now. I like the way it looks at night and during the day it makes the stupid shark fin antenna placement look better.

2001WS6

Reaction score
I always thought trucks with cab lights looked the coolest just as its getting dark. Every truck I've owned and my dad has owned has had Cab Lights.

Users who are viewing this thread