Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trail_Wagon: The story of "Hope". A 2022 power wagon build

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
If you can find your shock on a fox catalogue page, it should list the valving for it and then you can figure out what valve shim stack config you have.

D61CADC4-4861-42D3-A27F-2724F25DCA1B.png

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
From the fox website

Application specific valving to maximize performance

as I mentioned, for a vehicle specific shock, they don't just throw shim stacks at it. They do their own tuning and testing.

tchur1

Reaction score
Im very ignorant when it comes to suspension and shock turning so pardon me if this is a stupid question but would the Fox performance elite or factory race dsc 2.5s work on a 3500? at min arent the front ends the same on those trucks?

How do we think it would ride if paired with Carli or Thuren level coils?

If you cant pair with leveling coils, would they improve ride over stock that drastically with stock springs?

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
Im very ignorant when it comes to suspension and shock turning so pardon me if this is a stupid question but would the Fox performance elite or factory race dsc 2.5s work on a 3500? at min arent the front ends the same on those trucks?

How do we think it would ride if paired with Carli or Thuren level coils?

If you cant pair with leveling coils, would they improve ride over stock that drastically with stock springs?
They make rear shocks for the 3500s now too.
883-26-101

the fronts are the same.
as far as how they pair with the Carlie or Thuren... honestly who knows. Probably fine, but to get the best possible, you would need to custom tune them.

tchur1

Reaction score
Ah thanks, I didnt see those on the website because its showing that it only fits on a 2020 and older, and I searched for 22s.

Makes sense on tuning. So in theory I could go factory race on the front and performance elite on the back, have them tuned to whatever front coils I put in and be good? Not sure thats all worth it compared to just waiting on the Kings but just thinking out loud.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
From the fox website

Application specific valving to maximize performance

as I mentioned, for a vehicle specific shock, they don't just throw shim stacks at it. They do their own tuning and testing.
I thought he bought off the shelf shocks because the thuren ones were back ordered. Maybe I mis-remembered what the conversation was about. My bad.

I can probably find out what valving they have since my brother is lead design engineer at Fox

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
I thought he bought off the shelf shocks because the thuren ones were back ordered. Maybe I mis-remembered what the conversation was about. My bad.

I can probably find out what valving they have since my brother is lead design engineer at Fox
Awesome, ask him, would love to know for sure.

That's why I'm excited about these shocks, I've been looking for these since before I purchased my PW and never could find them. These are new, specifically designed and tuned for HD Ram trucks, and the 2" lift model fits the stock PW perfectly. King makes off the shelf generic shocks with pin tops that will work, but they are not tuned and the length is wrong.

So we can now just buy a really good shock directly from any retailer that *hopefully* will perform very well in our trucks.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Awesome, ask him, would love to know for sure.

That's why I'm excited about these shocks, I've been looking for these since before I purchased my PW and never could find them. These are new, specifically designed and tuned for HD Ram trucks, and the 2" lift model fits the stock PW perfectly. King makes off the shelf generic shocks with pin tops that will work, but they are not tuned and the length is wrong.

So we can now just buy a really good shock directly from any retailer that *hopefully* will perform very well in our trucks.
Should be a part number on the body cap shoot me a pm and I’ll ask

Etoimos

Reaction score
Ami the only one that doesn't know my mirrors did this...

I did not know that when I bought my truck, but a buddy with a 2019 PW showed it to me. On the PW, I wished they fold up towards the cab of the truck. It would be great to have the mirrors tucked in while still being able to use them.

jenninr

Reaction score
I did not know that when I bought my truck, but a buddy with a 2019 PW showed it to me. On the PW, I wished they fold up towards the cab of the truck. It would be great to have the mirrors tucked in while still being able to use them.
It looks like the 2023 mirrors will fix that. I bet they will be able to be retrofitted on previous models.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
After lots of thoughts about where I want this build to go... I came up with a decision. i DO NOT want to lift this truck. Nearly everything I own is on 37s, and most things have a suspension lift. I absolutely love this truck, its the best vehicle I've ever owned and I'll deal with dismal gas mileage to drive it. Its a starship on the highway: smooth and powerful. quiet and strong. Its truly a joy to drive... I love the stance, the ride (most of the time) the rake, the capacity etc.. I don't want to mess with the suspension, just the damping.

So, I ordered new shocks.

fox-883-26-062-1.jpeg

I thought I would be the guinea pig and order the fox performance elite shocks I mentioned a few posts up. But I ordered the ones for 0-1.5 lift. They are basically stock length. Then I got some sumo bumps to go with for bottom out protection. At first I'm going to try the fox tune. These shocks are application specific for these heavy trucks, with the DSC adjusters, with 120-150% valving adjustments. If I don't like the way they ride, I have the tools and skills to re-valve them myself to whatever I want.

I really wanted to wait for the Carlie E venture but that could be a few months or years, and at 5-6k and require a lift. Just not worth it for me. I'll post back when they are installed with my thoughts and maybe make a video.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
I also decided to give this a try...

71WFobO8jCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Its the BAK Revolver 4xs rolling tonneau cover.

Seems to be the best of the Tonneau covers, Only time will tell.

Etoimos

Reaction score
After lots of thoughts about where I want this build to go... I came up with a decision. i DO NOT want to lift this truck. Nearly everything I own is on 37s, and most things have a suspension lift. I absolutely love this truck, its the best vehicle I've ever owned and I'll deal with dismal gas mileage to drive it. Its a starship on the highway: smooth and powerful. quiet and strong. Its truly a joy to drive... I love the stance, the ride (most of the time) the rake, the capacity etc.. I don't want to mess with the suspension, just the damping.

So, I ordered new shocks.

View attachment 42677

I thought I would be the guinea pig and order the fox performance elite shocks I mentioned a few posts up. But I ordered the ones for 0-1.5 lift. They are basically stock length. Then I got some sumo bumps to go with for bottom out protection. At first I'm going to try the fox tune. These shocks are application specific for these heavy trucks, with the DSC adjusters, with 120-150% valving adjustments. If I don't like the way they ride, I have the tools and skills to re-valve them myself to whatever I want.

I really wanted to wait for the Carlie E venture but that could be a few months or years, and at 5-6k and require a lift. Just not worth it for me. I'll post back when they are installed with my thoughts and maybe make a video.
I'm looking forward to your thoughts on these shocks. I really don't want to lift my truck any either, but a little improvement in the suspension department would not hurt.

Quick

Reaction score
I also decided to give this a try...

View attachment 42680

Its the BAK Revolver 4xs rolling tonneau cover.

Seems to be the best of the Tonneau covers, Only time will tell.

Nice - I am also in the same boat as you - like the stance, use it for truck stuff, don't want to lift it really. I have thought about going with the Thuren springs (1/2" front, stock height rear), fox shocks and airbags to maintain load capacity. This seems about like the nicest riding setup. However, all of my other cars are modded and come with sacrifices, so I'm hesitant to touch this one.

I had the BAK Revolver on my Gladiator. It worked well enough but they had to send me 3 of them before they sent one that wasn't damaged. Also, those plastic corner pieces on the rear corners break off. Just cheap plastic. I currently have the BAK Flip MX4 which is the same quality, but just a hard folding version instead of the roll-up.

Imaking20

Reaction score
This has been a great thread to read. Love to see the explanation of your experiences woven into the thought process and decision making (for those of us who don’t have quite as much trail experience). Can’t wait to read your feedback on the shocks!

Users who are viewing this thread