Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trail_Wagon: The story of "Hope". A 2022 power wagon build

jsalbre

Reaction score
I finally got a chance to pull the springs and bump stops, and fully flex the suspension. As we had feared, the tire would contact the reservoir at full flex. So I cut the mount off, moved it up 2 inches, inboard 2 inches, and back about 1/2 inch. Now I can fully flex without hitting the reservoir.

Its theoretically possible for the tire to rub on the hose at the absolute limits of travel, But the wheels would have to be fully turned, the suspension fully flexed and the bump stop completely compressed into the cup. Its possible to smash the bump stop into the cup, but it takes a lot of inertia. The Jounce bumper can easily hold the weight of the entire truck at static load. In reality, its nearly impossible to replicate a full turn lock, full flex, and then a suspension hit hard enough to compress the jounce bumper completely into the cup, all at the same time. Even if I somehow did, it would only just touch the hose. I'm good with that.

View attachment 51286
You’d have to do some hose extending, but if you find this location doesn’t work out for you, on the Gladiator Mojave they mounted the front reservoirs up behind the front bumper to make sure there was plenty of space in the wheel well.

edit: that should have been front bumper, not rear.

Last edited:

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
I finally ordered an AEV pro cal to fix the speedometer and TPMS. I've been using the Z automotive Tazer RAM, but they have not worked out the bugs for the 22+ trucks. They are no longer even listed as compatible on the website. The pro cal is no longer on back order, so I gave AEV my cc info and a few days later the pro cal showed up. Install was easy and it does exactly what it says it should. Very happy with this.

So if anyone with a pre 22 ram 2500 wants the Tazer, shoot me a PM and I'll give you a hell of a deal. The Tazer was properly Un-Married, so its ready for a new owner.

I also Ordered some OEM floor mats. I did a lot of shopping and these were my favorites.
PXL_20230322_203214286.jpg

PXL_20230322_203057494.jpg

aaaslayer

Reaction score
I finally ordered an AEV pro cal to fix the speedometer and TPMS. I've been using the Z automotive Tazer RAM, but they have not worked out the bugs for the 22+ trucks. They are no longer even listed as compatible on the website. The pro cal is no longer on back order, so I gave AEV my cc info and a few days later the pro cal showed up. Install was easy and it does exactly what it says it should. Very happy with this.

So if anyone with a pre 22 ram 2500 wants the Tazer, shoot me a PM and I'll give you a hell of a deal. The Tazer was properly Un-Married, so its ready for a new owner.

I also Ordered some OEM floor mats. I did a lot of shopping and these were my favorites.

Do you expect to see perhaps better MPG with the AEV pro cal now that you've fixed the speedo? I'm on the fence about getting it. I have 37s in my PW and haven't addressed that issue. My avg MPG is 8-9mpg with a pop top camper and full 37" spare in the back.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
Do you expect to see perhaps better MPG with the AEV pro cal now that you've fixed the speedo? I'm on the fence about getting it. I have 37s in my PW and haven't addressed that issue. My avg MPG is 8-9mpg with a pop top camper and full 37" spare in the back.
The Tazer was able to correct the speedo reasonly close so I shouldn't see much, if any difference in MPG... However, if you haven't corrected your speedo, the difference from 33's to 37's is going to be large. My average around town with a bit of highway driving is 12 MPG. I usually keep it within 2-3 mph above the speed limit.

UNifc6pF

Reaction score

I have the Tazer also, I've been very unhappy with their development. I've bene in contact with them November of '21 when I got it. They sent me a beta release that was suppose to work with Uconnect 5 and it still doesn't. I don't notice a difference power profiles, and if I need to make changes I still have to pull the fuse for the Radio in order to even try to make use of their menu in the EVIC.

The only reason I haven't dumped it yet, I really like the auto-fold mirrors on power off ... why that isn't standard on these trucks I'm baffled.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
I have the Tazer also, I've been very unhappy with their development. I've bene in contact with them November of '21 when I got it. They sent me a beta release that was suppose to work with Uconnect 5 and it still doesn't. I don't notice a difference power profiles, and if I need to make changes I still have to pull the fuse for the Radio in order to even try to make use of their menu in the EVIC.

The only reason I haven't dumped it yet, I really like the auto-fold mirrors on power off ... why that isn't standard on these trucks I'm baffled.
The tazer has worked great for my jeeps, they just haven't figured out the newest Rams. Oh well, aev for the win

aaaslayer

Reaction score
@Trail_Wagon , I got my Fox 2.5 DSC installed over the weekend along with my Carli R2 rear coils. I have them set currently at 5 high speed and 5 low speed. That's 5 clicks from full open, to clockwise. I was under the impression you get about 10 clicks per setting, but I am getting like 9 on high speed, and 8 on low speed. It won't go any further. How many settings do you have per knob?

And my truck rides so much better now. No more sag, no more wobbly feeling on the highway. I'm sure the Hellwig big wig sway bar helped a lot with that sway though because I had installed that one Saturday morning and test drove it before I got to installing the coils and shocks. And it was already a major difference in swaying. Then after the shocks and coils, the sag issue was corrected and going 50 mph on dips by my house felt like I had nothing back there, when I have about 650 lbs on constant weight back there with the pop up camper and 37" spare and swing out.

aaaslayer

Reaction score
I did want to ask, what did you do to address the issue of the shocks being fully exposed to rock impacts when off road? My shock reservoir is now exposed and I'm afraid it'll get hit by a rock at some point.

Also, the E brake line is sitting on the shock reservoir, there was no where else I can move it to since it has no slack. It is on there pretty good too. I need to put a piece of rubber in between the e brake line and the reservoir corner to avoid the resi from cutting into the e brake line over time.... see pic for better understanding....

20230327_090811.jpg

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
@Trail_Wagon , I got my Fox 2.5 DSC installed over the weekend along with my Carli R2 rear coils. I have them set currently at 5 high speed and 5 low speed. That's 5 clicks from full open, to clockwise. I was under the impression you get about 10 clicks per setting, but I am getting like 9 on high speed, and 8 on low speed. It won't go any further. How many settings do you have per knob?

And my truck rides so much better now. No more sag, no more wobbly feeling on the highway. I'm sure the Hellwig big wig sway bar helped a lot with that sway though because I had installed that one Saturday morning and test drove it before I got to installing the coils and shocks. And it was already a major difference in swaying. Then after the shocks and coils, the sag issue was corrected and going 50 mph on dips by my house felt like I had nothing back there, when I have about 650 lbs on constant weight back there with the pop up camper and 37" spare and swing out.
Its 10 clicks for low speed... and a whole bunch for high speed. Can't remember the exact. Play around a little with the settings to find the right feel for your load. I actually like mine better with the high speed wide open. With your constant weight, its going to be totally different.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
I did want to ask, what did you do to address the issue of the shocks being fully exposed to rock impacts when off road? My shock reservoir is now exposed and I'm afraid it'll get hit by a rock at some point.

Also, the E brake line is sitting on the shock reservoir, there was no where else I can move it to since it has no slack. It is on there pretty good too. I need to put a piece of rubber in between the e brake line and the reservoir corner to avoid the resi from cutting into the e brake line over time.... see pic for better understanding....

View attachment 54116
I just used a short piece of hose wrapped around the parking brake so it didn't wear through. I'll check it every once in a while to make sure the hose is doing its job. I'll eventually fabricate a small bracket to hold the parking brake away from the reservoir , but its not a huge priority.
The reservoir is in danger of being hit by rocks coming off the front tires and I guess some sort of shield could be made to protect it. The adjustment knob is precariously close to rock impacts too if rock crawling. I would have preferred a remote reservoir with hose so you could relocate it ... somewhere else.

You could probably fabricate some sort of skid plate utilizing the shock mounting bolt. I've seen that done on jeeps because the rear shock hangs down and does get hung up on rocks. I've even torn a shock bracket off of the axle. If I were spending a bunch of time in the rocks I would be more concerned.

aaaslayer

Reaction score
I just used a short piece of hose wrapped around the parking brake so it didn't wear through. I'll check it every once in a while to make sure the hose is doing its job. I'll eventually fabricate a small bracket to hold the parking brake away from the reservoir , but its not a huge priority.
The reservoir is in danger of being hit by rocks coming off the front tires and I guess some sort of shield could be made to protect it. The adjustment knob is precariously close to rock impacts too if rock crawling. I would have preferred a remote reservoir with hose so you could relocate it ... somewhere else.

You could probably fabricate some sort of skid plate utilizing the shock mounting bolt. I've seen that done on jeeps because the rear shock hangs down and does get hung up on rocks. I've even torn a shock bracket off of the axle. If I were spending a bunch of time in the rocks I would be more concerned.
I do spend time in very rocky trails out here. Definitely going to find a solution. CjC offers a solution but for Kings. I do weld and have some fabrication skills, I'll likely just make my own rock guards for them. Just need to find time to create a design and fabricate it

RPS1030

Reaction score

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
Thanks, that's probably worth the $20 bucks. I could make something but I'm a pretty busy dude and time is money

*Edit* Maybe it is worth my time... thuren charges $38.05 for shipping... Not going to happen.

Last edited:

aaaslayer

Reaction score
I was about to buy the bracket for $20 bucks but stopped after seeing how much shipping is.

CHOOSE SHIPPING METHOD​

Spend $25 or more and your order ships FREE IN THE LOWER 48 STATES!!
Choose a shipping method

UPS 3 Day Select®
3 business days
$35.33

USPS Priority Mail
3 business days
$38.05

UPS 2nd Day Air®
2 business days
$47.33

UPS Next Day Air®
1 business day
$90.68

PRIORITY MAIL $38 dollars????? This little bracket fits in a small flat rate box for $8.05 and a flat rate padded envelope for $8.10. UPS GROUND isn't even an option and if it was, it's like $12 bucks for a package from Oregon to California 1-5 lbs. There's nothing else I need from them currently to get free shipping. Anyone want to order with me to get free shipping? Trail Wagon?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I was about to buy the bracket for $20 bucks but stopped after seeing how much shipping is.

CHOOSE SHIPPING METHOD​

Choose a shipping method

UPS 3 Day Select®
3 business days
$35.33

USPS Priority Mail
3 business days
$38.05

UPS 2nd Day Air®
2 business days
$47.33

UPS Next Day Air®
1 business day
$90.68

PRIORITY MAIL $38 dollars????? This little bracket fits in a small flat rate box for $8.05 and a flat rate padded envelope for $8.10. UPS GROUND isn't even an option and if it was, it's like $12 bucks for a package from Oregon to California 1-5 lbs. There's nothing else I need from them currently to get free shipping. Anyone want to order with me to get free shipping? Trail Wagon?
Spend $5 more and get free shipping ^

RPS1030

Reaction score

CHOOSE SHIPPING METHOD​

Choose a shipping method

UPS 3 Day Select®
3 business days
$35.33

USPS Priority Mail
3 business days
$38.05

UPS 2nd Day Air®
2 business days
$47.33

UPS Next Day Air®
1 business day
$90.68

CJC says free shipping on their site.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
I finally got a chance to the Fox 2.5 shocks on the dirt. I am impressed.
Just behind my new house is an off road trail that goes up Mingus mountain. Its rocky, bumpy, rutted and develops washboard any place it doesn't have the other stuff. The kind of terrain these HD trucks usually suffer on. I didn't change tire pressure or shock settings but I was able to blast up the hill often at 25-30 mph. I thought my jeeps with their fox 2.0 IFP shocks rode nice. The ride was smooth, controlled, no skidding on the washboard, no violent bottoming out. The suspension begged me to drive faster. At one point I found a nice raised hump to assisted with erosion during rainstorms. I hit it at about 25 mph and the big truck flew through the air, nothing crazy, probably only an inch or two, but it landed gracefully and without drama. I love these new shocks!

PXL_20230417_220148413.jpg

aaaslayer

Reaction score
I didn't even think about that lol. Didn't think they'd carry such a small inexpensive part, thought they'd only have their suspensions components. I ordered from CJC. Thanks for reminding me!
CJC says free shipping on their site.

Bcool1

Reaction score
If the Tazer will work on my TPMS/Speedo for a 2021 I would be interested, located in N.UT.

aaaslayer

Reaction score
Anymore information and close up shots you can provide of the custom mount you fabbed for the resis? I just got my front shocks delivered on Saturday. Was looking at the instructions and the mounts provided. I am running the 75th anniversary factory wheels with 37x13.5 nitto mud grapplers. My concern is at full flex or even before hitting full flex, that the tire may rub or hit the resi especially with the high offset factory wheels I have.

If you have time to share some close ups and details on that mount you fabbed up, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to figure out exactly how and where I'm going to mount the resis up front before I even dive into the install. For now, they're just sitting in my garage waiting for install.

I finally got a chance to pull the springs and bump stops, and fully flex the suspension. As we had feared, the tire would contact the reservoir at full flex. So I cut the mount off, moved it up 2 inches, inboard 2 inches, and back about 1/2 inch. Now I can fully flex without hitting the reservoir.

Its theoretically possible for the tire to rub on the hose at the absolute limits of travel, But the wheels would have to be fully turned, the suspension fully flexed and the bump stop completely compressed into the cup. Its possible to smash the bump stop into the cup, but it takes a lot of inertia. The Jounce bumper can easily hold the weight of the entire truck at static load. In reality, its nearly impossible to replicate a full turn lock, full flex, and then a suspension hit hard enough to compress the jounce bumper completely into the cup, all at the same time. Even if I somehow did, it would only just touch the hose. I'm good with that.

View attachment 51286

Users who are viewing this thread