Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trail_Wagon: The story of "Hope". A 2022 power wagon build

Etoimos

Reaction score
Yes, it wasn't crowded at all!
Even nicer! I've got a two week trip planned for the end of the month going up into Montana, Idaho, Nevada, and Oregon. I've got a couple of days left open at the end of that trip that I'm trying to decide what to do with and Utah is on my radar. I'll be travelling with my son and dad, so pure rock crawling/trail running is not really in the cards, so I'm looking for some other adventures to do on the northern or eastern edges of Utah.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
On another note, I've changed the name to Trail_Wagon so it lines up with Instagram and youtube

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
Well, the Trail_Wagon build has taken an unexpected turn.
Due to health reasons my wife and I decided that we would not be taking any long trips across the country any time soon, so we have decided to cancel our Scout Kenai.
So, scrapping the airbag plan, kinda leaning more towards upgraded shocks and more of a go fast, off road rig. It was a tough decision to make, but when life hands you lemons...
Still loving the truck, its a luxury cruise liner, and one of the most comfortable vehicles I've ever owned. Its also a lot of fun to wheel!

Andersen24

Reaction score
Well, the Trail_Wagon build has taken an unexpected turn.
Due to health reasons my wife and I decided that we would not be taking any long trips across the country any time soon, so we have decided to cancel our Scout Kenai.
So, scrapping the airbag plan, kinda leaning more towards upgraded shocks and more of a go fast, off road rig. It was a tough decision to make, but when life hands you lemons...
Still loving the truck, its a luxury cruise liner, and one of the most comfortable vehicles I've ever owned. Its also a lot of fun to wheel!
Well we wish you guys the best in navigating the new course, and awesome of you guys to find the positive! Hang in there!!!

Soapy

Reaction score
I understand your misfortune about not being able to travel for a bit due to health reasons. Was planning on a few trips this year in my power wagon but will have to put them off until next year.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
NEW
I found these this morning. I'm sure they were not available just a few weeks ago.

Fox 2.5 remote reservoir shocks with DSC adjusters.
The cool thing about these is they are the perfect length for a stock power wagon.

Front 883-26-066
compressed 16.01"
Extended 25.49"
travel 9.78"

Rear 883-26-063
compressed 16.5"
extended 27.15"
travel 10.6"

These are the fox equivalent of the kings that Carlie and Thuren spec for their RAMs

Andersen24

Reaction score
NEW
I found these this morning. I'm sure they were not available just a few weeks ago.

Fox 2.5 remote reservoir shocks with DSC adjusters.
The cool thing about these is they are the perfect length for a stock power wagon.

Front 883-26-066
compressed 16.01"
Extended 25.49"
travel 9.78"

Rear 883-26-063
compressed 16.5"
extended 27.15"
travel 10.6"

These are the fox equivalent of the kings that Carlie and Thuren spec for their RAMs
@Trail_Wagon I am getting the EXACT same shocks with my Thuren’s. I was able to score a screaming deal on them so figured why not. I did reach out to Chris at Thuren and this was his response about using these Fox shocks…..”They are close to our lengths, so make sure you cycle your axle and adjust your bumpstops and add limit straps if needed. The valving will also be way off from FOX you will need to get them revalved most likely. FOX and KING use really stiff valving for off the shelf selections.“ I am still moving forward with them, but good to know about the valving, and I am assuming if you buy the 2.0’s from Thuren they must have the custom valving already.

Andersen24

Reaction score
Also, I have reached out to Thuren again as well as Fox to find out about their recommended valving (seeing if I can remove or restack the shims, or do they recommend a whole new setup). As soon as I hear from them, I will let you know what they say since you are looking at them as well!

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
@Trail_Wagon I am getting the EXACT same shocks with my Thuren’s. I was able to score a screaming deal on them so figured why not. I did reach out to Chris at Thuren and this was his response about using these Fox shocks…..”They are close to our lengths, so make sure you cycle your axle and adjust your bumpstops and add limit straps if needed. The valving will also be way off from FOX you will need to get them revalved most likely. FOX and KING use really stiff valving for off the shelf selections.“ I am still moving forward with them, but good to know about the valving, and I am assuming if you buy the 2.0’s from Thuren they must have the custom valving already.
Well, yes and no. That's the way it used to be. Any of the universal fox or king stuff is going to come with a generic valve stack, it it will be terrible. However, at least for Fox, anything vehicle specific, like these performance elite will have a tune on it already, setup for a RAM 2500, that should ride really nice. They did a great job on the equivalent jeep wrangler and gladiator 2.5 performance elite shocks, so I have high hopes. I can't wait to read your thoughts on these shocks when you get them.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
Also, I have reached out to Thuren again as well as Fox to find out about their recommended valving (seeing if I can remove or restack the shims, or do they recommend a whole new setup). As soon as I hear from them, I will let you know what they say since you are looking at them as well!
I wouldn't get my hopes up about Thuren sharing valving secrets with you. They might be willing to tune them if you ship the shocks to them. Fox will say "They are already tuned and perfect"
The DSC adjusters are way better than the "clickers" of yesteryear and I bet you can get the ride you are looking for.

Hurry up and get them so we can have a review!

Andersen24

Reaction score
Well good news is the truck shows up today! Shocks should be here in about three weeks…..I do know that accutuneoffroad.com will tune them for you using the trucks specs. The tune is free if you order the shocks from them, but I figure I’ll be in San Diego next week so I was going to swing by and talk to them. Worked with them in the past and they are a great company. Also my buddy got Thuren’s 2.0’s, so I may break those down and see the shim stack they put in there. I am sure it is just manipulation of the shims (removing, restocking, etc.). But YES as soon as I get them, I will let you know!

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
Well good news is the truck shows up today! Shocks should be here in about three weeks…..I do know that accutuneoffroad.com will tune them for you using the trucks specs. The tune is free if you order the shocks from them, but I figure I’ll be in San Diego next week so I was going to swing by and talk to them. Worked with them in the past and they are a great company. Also my buddy got Thuren’s 2.0’s, so I may break those down and see the shim stack they put in there. I am sure it is just manipulation of the shims (removing, restocking, etc.). But YES as soon as I get them, I will let you know!
Accutune is great to work with.
Don't bother breaking down your buddies 2.0s The piston is completely difference between the 2.0 RR, 2.0 IFP and 2.5 so whatever shims Thuren put in the 2.0s will be irrelevant to the 2.5's

Users who are viewing this thread