Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trail_Wagon: The story of "Hope". A 2022 power wagon build

jenninr

Reaction score
I also decided to give this a try...

View attachment 42680

Its the BAK Revolver 4xs rolling tonneau cover.

Seems to be the best of the Tonneau covers, Only time will tell.
Let us know what your opinion is on the X4S when you have had it a while. I wish they offered it with the t-slot rails like they do on the Gladiator. I know that you can add the Truxedo Elevate t-slot rails but that doesn't look like as good of a solution as the X4S having the built in t-slot rails and I would expect to have more water intrusion going that route.

UglyViking

Reaction score
By the way... if you haven't been on instagram or facebook... thuren is stepping up thier game.... 4 link for the rear. We live in the golden age of Power Wagons.
Waiting to see how that turns out. Technically we already have 4 links, but it looks like the arms are significantly longer, not to mention they are at a more severe angle.

I'll be interested in seeing the numbers but I'm excited. Maybe he will do a 4 link front end conversion like DOR next?

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
Waiting to see how that turns out. Technically we already have 4 links, but it looks like the arms are significantly longer, not to mention they are at a more severe angle.

I'll be interested in seeing the numbers but I'm excited. Maybe he will do a 4 link front end conversion like DOR next?
Well, we have 4links +...
The "+" being a trackbar, which is technically a 5 link, but this is all semantics.
A 4 link doesn't have any weird side to side shimmy like a track bar. I don't want one for a 8 thousand pound truck, but if you want to crawl or go fast... this is very very cool.
I'm just very excited to see aftermarket support for extreme suspension options. And FOX. which I love.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Well, we have 4links +...
The "+" being a trackbar, which is technically a 5 link, but this is all semantics.
A 4 link doesn't have any weird side to side shimmy like a track bar. I don't want one for a 8 thousand pound truck, but if you want to crawl or go fast... this is very very cool.
I'm just very excited to see aftermarket support for extreme suspension options. And FOX. which I love.
Wait, it's a true 4 link? I didn't realize that! ****, that makes sense though as the pictures looked like he had a full sized spare under there, and the track bar is the main issue for doing that. Hmm, pretty neat if it works.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
Also, Terra flex posted to a comment I asked a few months ago, asking about shocks for the power wagon... Their response was "stay tuned"

Screenshot_20220902-101214.png

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I trimmed the fenders to fit 37's. heres the vid.

Nice, man. Well done. Very professional.

I’m about to have to do something similar to my truck, I believe. Except much less professional.

I have no problem taking a grinder to my truck but, usually, I use a BFH on pinch weld seams and beat them over til they lay flat. That was my plan. I haven’t bothered to remove the inner fender liner to look back inside there yet so your video was helpful to me especially showing what it looks like inside there. I think can still beat it flat. I typically make a relief cut as needed and hammer the rest of the pinch weld over flat. Hopefully after that I can use a heat gun to persuade the inner fender liner to be a new shape and keep it intact.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
Nice, man. Well done. Very professional.

I’m about to have to do something similar to my truck, I believe. Except much less professional.

I have no problem taking a grinder to my truck but, usually, I use a BFH on pinch weld seams and beat them over til they lay flat. That was my plan. I haven’t bothered to remove the inner fender liner to look back inside there yet so your video was helpful to me especially showing what it looks like inside there. I think can still beat it flat. I typically make a relief cut as needed and hammer the rest of the pinch weld over flat. Hopefully after that I can use a heat gun to persuade the inner fender liner to be a new shape and keep it intact.
Thanks for the kind words. I don't see any reason you couldn't hammer the seam flat and bend the plastic. I did this for my JL and it worked fine.

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
After lots of thoughts about where I want this build to go... I came up with a decision. i DO NOT want to lift this truck. Nearly everything I own is on 37s, and most things have a suspension lift. I absolutely love this truck, its the best vehicle I've ever owned and I'll deal with dismal gas mileage to drive it. Its a starship on the highway: smooth and powerful. quiet and strong. Its truly a joy to drive... I love the stance, the ride (most of the time) the rake, the capacity etc.. I don't want to mess with the suspension, just the damping.

So, I ordered new shocks.

View attachment 42677

I thought I would be the guinea pig and order the fox performance elite shocks I mentioned a few posts up. But I ordered the ones for 0-1.5 lift. They are basically stock length. Then I got some sumo bumps to go with for bottom out protection. At first I'm going to try the fox tune. These shocks are application specific for these heavy trucks, with the DSC adjusters, with 120-150% valving adjustments. If I don't like the way they ride, I have the tools and skills to re-valve them myself to whatever I want.

I really wanted to wait for the Carlie E venture but that could be a few months or years, and at 5-6k and require a lift. Just not worth it for me. I'll post back when they are installed with my thoughts and maybe make a video.
Have you gotten these in and installed yet?

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
Shocks finally arrived! I've got them mounted up but dont have any drive time on them yet. I'm going to play with the settings for a bit, then probably make a video on impressions and performance.
I did fabricate the reservoir mount, I didn't like how fox had set theirs up.

PXL_20230114_185224758.jpgPXL_20230114_210937978.jpg

jsalbre

Reaction score
Shocks finally arrived! I've got them mounted up but dont have any drive time on them yet. I'm going to play with the settings for a bit, then probably make a video on impressions and performance.
I did fabricate the reservoir mount, I didn't like how fox had set theirs up.

View attachment 50270View attachment 50271
Looks great! I’m excited to hear your thoughts, as I’m going from a Gladiator with big remote res Foxs to my Rebel with the Bilsteins and I’m sure I’ll want to change them soon.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Make sure your tires can’t hit those hoses. I thought mine were up out of the way on my crawler and I yanked a hose right out of a shock once. Broke the fitting clean off.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
Make sure your tires can’t hit those hoses. I thought mine were up out of the way on my crawler and I yanked a hose right out of a shock once. Broke the fitting clean off.
Yup, I'm very concerned about that. I didn't have the time to fully flex everything. For regular driving there is miles of clearance. But for off road I'm concerned about the tire hitting the reservoir too. I may have to move it up and inboard a little.

Users who are viewing this thread