Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS (TIS) sensors for trailer (SOLVED - see 1st post) aka TTPMS - Trailer TPMS

mlink

Reaction score
CdnHO:
Just confirming that the TTPMS is still configured in the UC5 after you unplug the module
extension cable from the truck overnight and re-plug.
Just confirms the issue with the system is poor range. I suspect that the Shrader sensors provided by the factory are designed for passenger vehicles not trailer tires that are 25 feet behind. Someone mentioned the sensors part number has changed. Hopefully something with a stronger signal.

CdnHO

Reaction score
CdnHO:
Just confirming that the TTPMS is still configured in the UC5 after you unplug the module
extension cable from the truck overnight and re-plug.
My truck is 21. I don't think it is UC5. Regardless, I have left it disconnected for several day and the pairing was stilll good.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Just an update. The extension cable is working really well. One thing I did notice is the left front dual readings are reversed. Rather than pairing the two tires again I will just switch the wheel positions. I need to check the caliper pads anyway.

mlink

Reaction score
That should work. The important thing that you solved is proving it’s a range issue and that you can disconnect/reconnect without wiping the config.
BTW, when disconnected and you get the “not configured” error, do you just leave it and the config comes back after you reconnect… or do you do something else to it because that error bothers you?
Right now, I’m temporarily stuck while I figure out how to get the cable from my generator/battery compartment up to the 7-way in the pinbox area. Pretty much sealed without removing that outside skin underneath the front end… that would be huge ordeal.

CdnHO

Reaction score
That should work. The important thing that you solved is proving it’s a range issue and that you can disconnect/reconnect without wiping the config.
BTW, when disconnected and you get the “not configured” error, do you just leave it and the config comes back after you reconnect… or do you do something else to it because that error bothers you?
Right now, I’m temporarily stuck while I figure out how to get the cable from my generator/battery compartment up to the 7-way in the pinbox area. Pretty much sealed without removing that outside skin underneath the front end… that would be huge ordeal.
Routing the cable was a huge challenge for me as well. I ended up using a fish tape to pull the wires through the tough spots. I just ignore the TTPMS message. Sometimes I also get a "Service Trailer TPMS" message. I guess it doesn't like the missing receiver in the system. Goes away after a few seconds. At least I know what the problem is. Worth the minor annoyance to have a properly functioning system. Something Chrysler didn't think was a priority.

Last edited:

neilsen101

Reaction score
All the parts and steps are listed in the first post of the thread, are accurate, and what everyone has ordered.

PARTS REQUIRED TO ADD TTPMS to 2019+ RAM HD TRUCKS:
  • TTPMS bumper receiver: 68375990AC (Avg cost ~$70)
  • TIM headliner module: 68404893AB (Avg cost ~$70)
  • TIM Pigtail cable: 68412666AA (Avg cost ~$9)
  • The kit for the TPMS sensors (4) for trailer wheels is 68433188AA (best price I've seen posted not too far back in the thread @ $146)
    • Optional single sensors available as part #68375992AA
I have a 2020 ram 2500 6.4L and ordered the 68404893AB and found that the head liner connector is only a 2 pin connector and the TIM module is like a 6 pin connector is a 2020 different

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I have a 2020 ram 2500 6.4L and ordered the 68404893AB and found that the head liner connector is only a 2 pin connector and the TIM module is like a 6 pin connector is a 2020 different
Sounds like you’re trying to use the resistor connector that comes with the truck. Did you buy the TIM pigtail from the parts list, highlighted in red from the first post:
BB232A4C-6A2D-4AE6-9FF0-E88B58AC9ADA.jpeg

CdnHO

Reaction score
After installing the extension cable through the trailer and installing the receiver just ahead of the axles I activated a few of the sensors and it seemed to work. Today was the ultimate test. A 200 mile trip. Sensor data didn’t skip a beat. Confirmed that the issue is the distance from the receiver to the sensors. I suspect the sensors Ram provides are simply passenger vehicle sensors with limited range. A2085250-01F3-4C3F-B9A5-61D9C4FD0F17.jpeg

jsalbre

Reaction score
Glad the extension stuff is working out for you.

I’d just like to add that on my ‘23 with my 26’ travel trailer I set up the sensors a couple days ago and they’re working great. The only weird thing was on initial setup it made me put my desired pressure in as KPA, but everything is showing in PSI now.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Glad the extension stuff is working out for you.

I’d just like to add that on my ‘23 with my 26’ travel trailer I set up the sensors a couple days ago and they’re working great. The only weird thing was on initial setup it made me put my desired pressure in as KPA, but everything is showing in PSI now.
There have been a couple of revisions to the sensor part numbers. Perhaps the later ones have more range. All I know is that I had issues since day one. The extension cable verifies the earliest versions had range issues. My dealer was useless.

jsalbre

Reaction score
There have been a couple of revisions to the sensor part numbers. Perhaps the later ones have more range. All I know is that I had issues since day one. The extension cable verifies the earliest versions had range issues. My dealer was useless.
Oh, I don't doubt there are range issues for some people. My trailer is shorter than yours and I'm sure has the axles closer as well. The part number son my sensors are the "earlier" ones. Who knows what the difference is between them and the newer revisions.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Just an FYI for those contemplating the extension cable for the trailer TPMS. When disconnected you will get a warning on start up and the EVIC will also show a default four tire setup at 50 PSI. When you reconnect you will once again see your setup. Obviously all the trailer info is stored in the receiver module. I found all 8 sensors were showing pressure within a quarter mile of towing.

Attachments

• IMG_2075 2.jpg
    IMG_2075 2.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2074 3.jpg
    IMG_2074 3.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 24

davealc2

Reaction score
Before I get started, does anyone know if on a 2023 2500 Mega cab if the TIM headliner module is in the same location?

Pronto

Reaction score
Has this question been answered?
Back then I was asking because I was wondering if it would be compatible with my boat trailer using surge brakes. I have since put them on my boat trailer and it works great.

GBCrew2

Reaction score
Back then I was asking because I was wondering if it would be compatible with my boat trailer using surge brakes. I have since put them on my boat trailer and it works great.
So to be clear your boat trailer uses a 4 pin trailer light connector and the sensors work properly for you? I'm able to sync the sensors and truck 12" screen says sync finished but once I select "finish" truck 12" screen goes back to the tire pressure set up screen and dash screen says trailer tire pressure system not configured. I've done the sync process 4 times with same outcome.

CdnHO

Reaction score
The 2022 trucks seem to have more issues with TTPMS than the 2021s for some reason.

mlink

Reaction score
This continues to be reported by ‘22 UConnect5 owners. The doc for the latest patch 26.17 acknowledged this bug - but didn’t resolve it. Since 2019, none of the TTPMS systems have worked reliably…

Users who are viewing this thread