Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS (TIS) sensors for trailer (SOLVED - see 1st post) aka TTPMS - Trailer TPMS

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Since I seem to have a range issue (not all sensors report all the time, I am going to try to come up with a harness to extend the receiver to the trailer close to the axles. Trick will be to find the connectors.
An extension harness is easy enough. The mating male connector for the receiver plug is 1-967584-1. The terminals are 5-965908-1.
The bumper connector for the receiver is 1-967640-1. The terminals are 5-965906-1. The wire seals for both connectors are 963530-1.
The problem with doing this is, the receiver needs constant battery power. If it is disconnected, it will lose the sensor pairings.

jsalbre

Reaction score
An extension harness is easy enough. The mating male connector for the receiver plug is 1-967584-1. The terminals are 5-965908-1.
The bumper connector for the receiver is 1-967640-1. The terminals are 5-965906-1. The wire seals for both connectors are 963530-1.
The problem with doing this is, the receiver needs constant battery power. If it is disconnected, it will lose the sensor pairings.
That seems like a poor design. If you replace your truck battery you have to re-pair the sensors?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
That seems like a poor design. If you replace your truck battery you have to re-pair the sensors?
I don’t have the means to try it anytime soon, but going off of what someone else discovered when wanting to do the same thing:
EA5D9248-958E-4F0F-BCB4-DE7A9859EFA4.jpeg

CdnHO

Reaction score
I don’t have the means to try it anytime soon, but going off of what someone else discovered when wanting to do the same
Actually no. At least not on my truck. I was able to pair all 8 tires with the original system on my 2021. However because I kept losing signals at random I suspected something was wrong with the reciever. The selling dealer was useless so out of desperation I purchased a replacment receiver in installed it in the rear bumper. The original reciever was unpowered in my console for several days. I tried pairing the darn thing and each time it would time out before I could get all the tires to pair. I even parked the truck with the back bumper next to the axles. I finally gave up and reinstalled the original receiver after a few days. And lo and behold, the original receiver was still paired to all eight tires. YMMV. C

CdnHO

Reaction score
Are those Chrysler parts?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Are those Chrysler parts?

Search the part numbers on Mouser or Digikey. There's probably others but those are my goto suppliers for electronics components.

ETA: Looks like Mouser has a min order qty of 100 on some of the terminals, digikey didn't on the one I checked.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Probably a 30 to 40 foot run by the time I route it up to the hitch and into the trailer to the axles. Plan on two cables. One from bumper to the 7-pin plate in the truck bed. Second cable from 7-pin male (Taping it to the 7-pin cable)into the trailer and to the axles. Lots of four conductor cable on DigiKey. What gauge would be appropriate? I assume that there is not a lot of current flowing throught these conductors. So far with extra pins and wireseals, it is working out to around 20 bucks.

Last edited:

Djs246

Reaction score
I have a similar problem however my factory installed system doesn’t come back on. I’ve successfully configured several times only to have it revert to not configured.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I have a similar problem however my factory installed system doesn’t come back on. I’ve successfully configured several times only to have it revert to not configured.
Really helps if you put your truck info in your signature. What year is your truck? I have had nothing but issues with this system. However pairing has always been solid, once it has paired which was difficult.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Search the part numbers on Mouser or Digikey. There's probably others but those are my goto suppliers for electronics components.

ETA: Looks like Mouser has a min order qty of 100 on some of the terminals, digikey didn't on the one I checked.
Thank you. DigiKey had everything I need. Just messaged Jimmy to determine the wire gauge I need for the cable. Hopefully something small. I don't see the system having much current flowing through it. Found some shielded stranded four conductor cable on Amazon that might work. 22 gauge.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Getting ready to pick up the parts listed on Page 1 and the TPMS kit (68433188AA) is discontinued, and it appears 68516743AA is the new number but would like a second set of eyes to verify it is the correct part.

Tagging @Brutal_HO so the first page can be updated with the new part number.

Last edited:

CdnHO

Reaction score
All the stuff to extend the reciever to the trailer axles will be in this weekend. Hopefully the plan works. I will be making the extension cable in two parts. One from the bumper connector to the 7-pin receptacle in the truck bed. Another from the trailer 7-pin to the trailer axles. Hopefully can fish the wires through. Making my own cables. Once done I will report how it works. I will need to wake up the sensors with my TPMS tool but should hopefully be able to read all 8 sensors. The final test will be when we head north the end of next month. Many thanks to @Jimmy07 and @Brutal_HO for the advice.

Last edited:

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Ordered all four parts through BAM Wholesale Parts to get the TTPS installed.
Package arrived today with only the TIM in the box even though all the items have the same tracking number... :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Haven't had an issue with them before...

jsalbre

Reaction score
Getting ready to pick up the parts listed on Page 1 and the TPMS kit (68433188AA) is discontinued, and it appears 68516743AA is the new number but would like a second set of eyes to verify it is the correct part.

Tagging @Brutal_HO so the first page can be updated with the new part number.
I ordered my '23 with TTPMS from the factory and the package of sensors that came with it is 68433188AA. They're stamped as being manufactured week 40 of 2022, so they're pretty recent.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I can verify that 68433188AA is now discontinued, and 68516743AA is the replacement kit.

ebtksutton

Reaction score
Well hang on, now I seem to recall that someone said the UC5 trucks were coming with the TIM already installed (though that goes against what Ram has been doing for options).

So let's check before you order parts you don't need. If you're up for it, you might want to pull the headliner and look. I imagine it's also possible to "see" the TIM using AlfaOBD.

Anyone have any info on this?

Ok so update from my last post. After your suggestion to go check to see if I had the headliner module….I did and found out I did not have it. So I ordered it and the small pigtail harness to hook it up. Installed it today and attempted to sync the trailer to my truck. And I was successful on the first attempt!

In the end I had to purchase the headliner module and the small connecting harness. The bumper receiver (and the cab and chassis extension harness), turned on the option using alfaobd and all works as it should! I would not have been able to accomplish this without everyone’s help and input! Thanks!

I do have one more question and don’t know if there is a thread covering it (haven’t found it at least) but in the trailer setup page on my screen there is a selection for “trailer navigation” when I select it it takes me to the navigation page however it’s blank / doesn’t load the map. Is there a item to turn on in alfaobd to allow me to setup height and length of rv to take me on “safe routes” or what is this selection for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CdnHO

Reaction score
All the stuff to extend the reciever to the trailer axles will be in this weekend. Hopefully the plan works. I will be making the extension cable in two parts. One from the bumper connector to the 7-pin receptacle in the truck bed. Another from the trailer 7-pin to the trailer axles. Hopefully can fish the wires through. Making my own cables. Once done I will report how it works. I will need to wake up the sensors with my TPMS tool but should hopefully be able to read all 8 sensors. The final test will be when we head north the end of next month. Many thanks to @Jimmy07 and @Brutal_HO for the advice.
So far I have constructed a 4 wire cable about 40 feet long with a twisted pair for the data from the receiver. The other two wires are battery positive and negative. I have been able to fish the cable from the hitch, underneath the bedroom floor of the fiver and under the trailer belly. I have completed the cable with connectors from the factory bumper plug, up through the rear stake pocket on the driver's side with enought length to reach the 7-pin connector in the box. I will use braided loom to attach the TTPMS cable to the 7-pin cable so it is all one cable coming from the hitch to the truck. I just need to install the TTPMS connectors on the trailer end and install the receiver to the belly of the trailer just ahead of the axles. All this will move the receiver about 18 feet closer to the wheel sensors. Fingers crossed it all works.

Users who are viewing this thread