Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS (TIS) sensors for trailer (SOLVED - see 1st post) aka TTPMS - Trailer TPMS

jsalbre

Reaction score
This continues to be reported by ‘22 UConnect5 owners. The doc for the latest patch 26.17 acknowledged this bug - but didn’t resolve it. Since 2019, none of the TTPMS systems have worked reliably…
I’m certainly only one case, but the TTPMS has been reliable on my ‘23 so far.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I think the issue in part is a matter of range. I really believe the sensors were designed for car/pickups and never for transmitting 20 feet or more. Also the type of wheel construction may effect range. Heavy steel wheels on duals equipped flatbeds probably inhibit the signal somewhat; where as aluminum wheels may allow the signal to go through more easily. And then there are software/firmware bugs. I never got mine to work properly. Ended up making an extension cable and placing the receiver just ahead of the trailer axle. Elimiinated the issue entirely. So on mine it was a range issue.

davew2112

Reaction score
So regarding the sensors ... does anyone know how long the batteries last on these ? And are the batteries in the sensors replaceable ? Or do you have to get new sensors when they die ?
I'm having the sensors, which came with the truck in Nov 2020, and which we used with our old travel trailer, put on our 5th wheel now. I was thinking if the batteries were replaceable it would be a good time to do it before putting on the 5th wheel. And if the batteries are not replaceable and most likely about to die ... then just stick with the TPMS that came with the 5th wheel.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I would imagine that on typical RV use the sensors would last for seven years or so. All depends on how many miles you put on the trailer. When the wheels stop rotating, the sensors go to sleep to conserve battery. The batteries are not replaceable.

CdnHO

Reaction score
For those that have trailer tpms sensors not installed yet, please post photos of both sides of the sensors. Preferably for a 2021 truck. I am trying to track down the part number. I suspect these sensors which are made by Schrader are actually designed for passenger vehicles. My tpms tool will read the sensor if I set it to an older Chrysler vehicle that comes equipped with a Schrader sensor but the data coming from my trailer sensor is clearly wrong. If I can determine what vehicle our sensors were designed for I may be able to get accurate data. Thank for any help.

davealc2

Reaction score
Need some help... Ordered the parts listed in post #1. Accessed location, located connecter and it is different. tmps connector.jpg
Not like the connecter ordered:
tmps module.jpg
Does anyone know the correct part number for a 2023 Laramie Maga cab??? Already have the tire pressure monitors install on trailer from when I had my 2022 1500 Limited.

davealc2

Reaction score
Never mind....
Need some help... Ordered the parts listed in post #1. Accessed location, located connecter and it is different. View attachment 57542
Not like the connecter ordered:
View attachment 57543
Does anyone know the correct part number for a 2023 Laramie Maga cab??? Already have the tire pressure monitors install on trailer from when I had my 2022 1500 Limited.
Never mind... the connecter to "unconnect" the pigtail was obscured behind the end of the side airbag.connecter1.jpg

samruss

Reaction score
Looks like the 2023's have a different part# for the sensor kit:
This instead of this. Seems strange since the modules and pigtails listed in page 1 are for 19-23. Anyone had experience with this?

I am probably going to be doing this very soon. I ordered a truck with TTPMS but that truck is very delayed and I cannot wait longer. Truck I found has most everything in my buid except TTPMS so researching what it will take to add it.

sstoner911

Reaction score
This instead of this. Seems strange since the modules and pigtails listed in page 1 are for 19-23. Anyone had experience with this?

I am probably going to be doing this very soon. I ordered a truck with TTPMS but that truck is very delayed and I cannot wait longer. Truck I found has most everything in my buid except TTPMS so researching what it will take to add it.
I tried adding to my 2022, never could get it to retain the settings after pairing the sensors. Pretty sure it was a Uconnect Issue.

I am on the fence to add it to my 2023...my Pinnacle 5th wheel came with TTPMS and can be monitored via their app.

TTPMS can't save you from a sudden blowout, I try to replace trailer tires about every 3 years.

jsalbre

Reaction score

My 2023 came from the factory with TTPMS, and it had the "old" sensors in the bag. I've installed them and they work fine, so I think you can use whichever sensors you find.

CdnHO

Reaction score
For those that have trailer tpms sensors not installed yet, please post photos of both sides of the sensors. Preferably for a 2021 truck. I am trying to track down the part number. I suspect these sensors which are made by Schrader are actually designed for passenger vehicles. My tpms tool will read the sensor if I set it to an older Chrysler vehicle that comes equipped with a Schrader sensor but the data coming from my trailer sensor is clearly wrong. If I can determine what vehicle our sensors were designed for I may be able to get accurate data. Thank for any help.
I have an Autel TPMS tool TS508. While it worked for my truck and car (they were both listed in the device) there was no listing for the Ram trailer TPMS. However, today I downloaded the latest update to the TPMS tool and there are now listings for trailer TPMS. Just tried it on my fifth wheel and works like a charm. Provides sensor ID, pressure, temperature and battery condition. One benefit is that in the event that the OEM sensors become weak, you can copy the info to an Autel replacement sensor without going to the effort of pairing them all over again.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an Autel TPMS tool TS508. While it worked for my truck and car (they were both listed in the device) there was no listing for the Ram trailer TPMS. However, today I downloaded the latest update to the TPMS tool and there are now listings for trailer TPMS. Just tried it on my fifth wheel and works like a charm. Provides sensor ID, pressure, temperature and battery condition. One benefit is that in the event that the OEM sensors become weak, you can copy the info to an Autel replacement sensor without going to the effort of pairing them all over again.

Too bad Ram chose not to include tire temps in their display option. One of the reasons I chose to not pursue using the OEM TTPMS I added to the truck and stick with my TireMinder. The other big issue for me was the lack of a "disconnect" mode for a (pseudo) second trailer.

abp89

Reaction score
@CdnHO do you have a list of the parts you ordered to extend/relocate the TTPMS receiver? I have a 40' fifth wheel and am having issues with the sensors dropping out and am looking to similarly relocate the TTPMS receiver.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Depending how your run the wires you will need around 60 feet of 24 gauge wire of each color of black, red, yellow and blue. (this closely matches the OEM colors). The yellow and blue need to be a twisted pair. I used an electric drill to twist it. The red is positive and the black is negative. Where you connect the trailer cable end to the truck end I used one of https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCV8LVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. They come in a package of four but you only need one. They are cheap and can be used for other projects. You need to keep track of the pigtail colors at both ends. The connectors were sourced from DigiKey. I have sent a copy of the invoice for part numbers via PM. On the truck end, I just extended the cable up the stake pocket support and brought it over to the 7 pin connector in the box. You will also need a crimper for the DigiKey connector pins. They are delicate but once complete they won't be moving around. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CXL4RFQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I will pm the DigiKey invoice with the part numbers.

Attachments

• IMG_2113-1.jpg
    IMG_2113-1.jpg
    745.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2027-1.jpg
    IMG_2027-1.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

mlink

Reaction score
Depending how your run the wires you will need around 60 feet of 24 gauge wire of each color of black, red, yellow and blue. (this closely matches the OEM colors). The yellow and blue need to be a twisted pair. I used an electric drill to twist it. The red is positive and the black is negative. Where you connect the trailer cable end to the truck end I used one of https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCV8LVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. They come in a package of four but you only need one. They are cheap and can be used for other projects. You need to keep track of the pigtail colors at both ends. The connectors were sourced from DigiKey. I have attached a copy of the invoice for part numbers. On the truck end, I just extended the cable up the stake pocket support and brought it over to the 7 pin connector in the box. You will also need a crimper for the DigiKey connector pins. They are delicate but once complete they won't be moving around. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CXL4RFQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I will pm the DigiKey invoice with the part numbers.
Your instructions were right on. Other than the quirky workarounds needed for the ‘22 UC5, mine has been working great since installation. Thanks for putting in the effort to finally resolve this “range” issue.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I would use Molex MX150 or Delphi/Aptiv or Deutsch connectors, very much like, and in some cases identical to, OEM.

M-Pressive

Reaction score
Huge thread, great info!

I have a 2023 2500. Bought the bag of sensors. Has there been any changes in the boxes or wires that I need to be aware of?

Looking to buy the rest of the pieces and don't want to get the wrong parts.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread