Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS (TIS) sensors for trailer (SOLVED - see 1st post) aka TTPMS - Trailer TPMS

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Ok so update from my last post. After your suggestion to go check to see if I had the headliner module….I did and found out I did not have it. So I ordered it and the small pigtail harness to hook it up. Installed it today and attempted to sync the trailer to my truck. And I was successful on the first attempt!

In the end I had to purchase the headliner module and the small connecting harness. The bumper receiver (and the cab and chassis extension harness), turned on the option using alfaobd and all works as it should! I would not have been able to accomplish this without everyone’s help and input! Thanks!

I do have one more question and don’t know if there is a thread covering it (haven’t found it at least) but in the trailer setup page on my screen there is a selection for “trailer navigation” when I select it it takes me to the navigation page however it’s blank / doesn’t load the map. Is there a item to turn on in alfaobd to allow me to setup height and length of rv to take me on “safe routes” or what is this selection for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread goes back to 2002 and no update as to how to make it work from what I can see...

Beldin

Reaction score
For the module under the headliner: is it located on the passenger side or more to the driver side? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
For the module under the headliner: is it located on the passenger side or more to the driver side? Thanks

Passenger side just above the seat headrest as I recall.

One of my posts indicate to be cautious with the disassembly of the C-pillar trim panel., There's a screw in there that is meant to be captive and if you take it all the way out, will lose it in the bowels of the seat belt mechanism.

ebtksutton

Reaction score

Passenger side rear…..there’s a post in this thread near the top that has instructions in a pdf….gives a good step by step guide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CdnHO

Reaction score
So far I have constructed a 4 wire cable about 40 feet long with a twisted pair for the data from the receiver. The other two wires are battery positive and negative. I have been able to fish the cable from the hitch, underneath the bedroom floor of the fiver and under the trailer belly. I have completed the cable with connectors from the factory bumper plug, up through the rear stake pocket on the driver's side with enought length to reach the 7-pin connector in the box. I will use braided loom to attach the TTPMS cable to the 7-pin cable so it is all one cable coming from the hitch to the truck. I just need to install the TTPMS connectors on the trailer end and install the receiver to the belly of the trailer just ahead of the axles. All this will move the receiver about 18 feet closer to the wheel sensors. Fingers crossed it all works.
It Works. Actually surprisingly since the extension is over 40 feet of cable. Activated each sensor with a TPMs tool. All connectors are waterproof.

5381C763-57C6-448F-9814-E1FBA2309EF1.jpeg35207820-99EF-41EA-B5D9-E494DED52830.jpegEA001249-BA7D-4A4F-9124-9E1EE7600A06.jpeg

Beldin

Reaction score
Passenger side just above the seat headrest as I recall.

One of my posts indicate to be cautious with the disassembly of the C-pillar trim panel., There's a screw in there that is meant to be captive and if you take it all the way out, will lose it in the bowels of the seat belt mechanism.

So did you take the whole panel off to get the screws out?

superjoe83

Reaction score

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

CdnHO

Reaction score
Thanks for posting your results, I'm going to do the same with mine, I have a 44' toy hauler that has issues with the rear and middle axle dropping out signal quite often.
Just confirms the issue with the system is poor range. I suspect that the Shrader sensors provided by the factory are designed for passenger vehicles not trailer tires that are 25 feet behind. Someone mentioned the sensors part number has changed. Hopefully something with a stronger signal.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
So spend the last little bit getting everything installed on my '19 for the TTPMS.
There is *a lot* less room in the headliner to work in than the pictures would lead you to believe.
The only thing that made me anxious was using AlfaOBD, but thanks to the handout created by @Phil T, it was pretty simple.

Dash lights up with 'Trailer Not Configured' which isn't a big deal as I don't have the TT.... seems I just need to wait a bit for the pressure setting screen to show up.
But I will read through the thread again to ensure I didn't miss any steps.

Thanks to everyone who worked all of this out.

Phil T

Reaction score
So spend the last little bit getting everything installed on my '19 for the TTPMS.
There is *a lot* less room in the headliner to work in than the pictures would lead you to believe.
The only thing that made me anxious was using AlfaOBD, but thanks to the handout created by @Phil T, it was pretty simple.

Dash lights up with 'Trailer Not Configured' which isn't a big deal as I don't have the TT.... seems I just need to wait a bit for the pressure setting screen to show up.
But I will read through the thread again to ensure I didn't miss any steps.

Thanks to everyone who worked all of this out.
Mine has been working perfectly since I installed it. You will like the feature.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Mine has been working perfectly since I installed it. You will like the feature.

Did have to go back out and so the "P/T Chassis Net: TTPM = enabled" part... man that's a long way to scroll down!! lol
One key cycle and the setup up function appeared in the UConnect so we are good to go.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Did have to go back out and so the "P/T Chassis Net: TTPM = enabled" part... man that's a long way to scroll down!! lol
One key cycle and the setup up function appeared in the UConnect so we are good to go.
search > scrolling

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
search > scrolling

Generally yes... but with wanting to get the Windows version of Alfa I figured it was time to retire the old laptop I 'inherited' from the oldest that we bought when they went to college back in 2010.
While no luddite, the 'Search Option' drop down would not let me input any values... apparently I'm doing something wrong as it should let me search.. maybe next time.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Users who are viewing this thread