Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with new 6.4L

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I knew there would be naysayers. Doesn't really matter to me. The mileage is accurate as shown and I don't play the evic game.
Mine will do 18 hand figured and the eviction display is about .7mpg higher.

Last edited:

jebruns

Reaction score
Good summary and I agree - it’s apples and oranges. My 6.4 gasser is ok - 7K trailer and about 9 mpg towing average with some 4K towing miles out of 11K total miles. Former truck (Duramax) with this trailer averaged 13.5 towing and was a MUCH more relaxing/comforting experience. I hate all the crap with diesel these days (and I’m a tree hugger at heart) so I went with gas to avoid all that. It’s good - does the job, but it sweats a lot and drinks like a pig.
Curious why the tree hugger part of you prefers gas over diesel? Seems like it would the opposite, since you'd use less fuel in the diesel.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Curious why the tree hugger part of you prefers gas over diesel? Seems like it would the opposite, since you'd use less fuel in the diesel.
Not to mention renewables and more environmentally friendly alternatives to straight diesel.

I’m not calling him out either. Just curious.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I interpreted his post as he would prefer a diesel because of its lower fuel use and emissions but went with the gas because of its much less complicated (read expensive to repair) emissions systems. Practicality and simplicity beat out the trees and I can’t say I blame him.

I could actually start and argument over if diesel or gas is cleaner these days anyway but won’t….

Last edited:

jebruns

Reaction score
I interpreted his post as he would prefer a diese because of its lower fuel use and emissions but went with the gas because of its much less complicated (read expensive to repair) emissions systems.
Interesting. That is certainly not the way it reads to me. Hopefully @TinGoatTravelers will clear that up for us.

jebruns

Reaction score
It is hard to interpret intention behind just reading text. For example you seem upset by his tree hugger comment. Although that may not be the case?
Not upset in the least. Just curious about the question I asked, assuming I didn't misinterpret his post.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
It’s the wind resistance of the trailer. And terrain. I just got rid of my 6.4 and went back to Cummins. This was my experience as well in the mountain states region. 5-8 mpg pulling my fifth wheel in this terrain. I was fine when we were doing occasional trips. But we’re using it too much. I couldn’t handle it anymore. Even my empty mileage was bad.

Well that 6.4 didn't last long did it? Another convert.

Ive never understood how people could argue with a straight face about how well their gas motor HD truck pulled in the mountains.

jsalbre

Reaction score

Ive never understood how people could argue with a straight face about how well their gas motor HD truck pulled in the mountains.
I can. I pulled a 32’ 9000# Airstream (plus 1200# in the bed) all over the mountains of Colorado at least once a week for 3/4 of 2020, since we were living in it full time and had to stay in the state for most of the year. Yeah, it drank gas climbing, but it never ran out of steam. It made the climb up to Eisenhower tunnel with the cruise control at 75.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I can. I pulled a 32’ 9000# Airstream (plus 1200# in the bed) all over the mountains of Colorado at least once a week for 3/4 of 2020, since we were living in it full time and had to stay in the state for most of the year. Yeah, it drank gas climbing, but it never ran out of steam. It made the climb up to Eisenhower tunnel with the cruise control at 75.

Nice. In preparation for the next tow, zip tie a moving blanket around the block to ensure you don't kill someone when the rods begin to eject.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Nice. In preparation for the next tow, zip tie a moving blanket around the block to ensure you don't kill someone when the rods begin to eject.
Well that's just silly to say. Why would the rods eject? Running high RPMs in a gas engine (and I'm not talking redline here) is just fine, especially on one built to work hard. I know some people are afraid of revving an engine, but there's no reason to be.

406Linetrash

Reaction score

It did pull fine. It pulled everything I asked it too. Never complained and shifted a hell of a lot better than the 68rfe.

Pulling well and fuel mileage are not correlated.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Well that's just silly to say. Why would the rods eject? Running high RPMs in a gas engine (and I'm not talking redline here) is just fine, especially on one built to work hard. I know some people are afraid of revving an engine, but there's no reason to be.
I unblocked his content to see what his reply to me was, and was quickly reminded why I did it in the first place. Every post is ignorant **** after ignorant ****.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Nah. Nobody is talking about redline. 4-4500 RPM under a decent load sustained for some time is just fine. Just watch the oil and coolant temps. People just don’t like it cause it sounds violent.

jebruns

Reaction score
Nah. Nobody is talking about redline. 4-4500 RPM under a decent load sustained for some time is just fine. Just watch the oil and coolant temps. People just don’t like it cause it sounds violent.
Could be. And it could be an "old school" mentality where extended high revving led very quickly to motor issues. I know I suffer from that, so the diesel just soothes my soul that way.

Same discussion happens in the bass boat world too. And I have no doubt that those engines are designed to take a lot of high RPM use. But guys blow them up pretty regularly too. It's almost taken for granted in tourney circles. I rarely have mine over 3500 rpms though (6500 max).

gimmie11s

Reaction score

It did pull fine. It pulled everything I asked it too. Never complained and shifted a hell of a lot better than the 68rfe.

Pulling well and fuel mileage are not correlated.

Bunch of Biden voters, got damn. you guys are too easy!

I unblocked his content to see what his reply to me was, and was quickly reminded why I did it in the first place. Every post is ignorant **** after ignorant ****.

What are you, 7 years old? Blocking people on the internet?? lmao!!!

Extra soy in that latte today?

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
A diesel off road is flat out unbearable and often times too dangerous. All of our trips involve real dirt on the way and while there. ”Pulling heavy” indicates to me pulling to nowhere cool IMO. I know guys with big trailers and overloaded front ends, they can’t go anywhere cool enough IMO which is fine as long as they are happy with it.
I got the Hemi because it takes at least one true locker to pull through even my most tame camp roads without drama.
Two makes it twice as nice.
A gas motor spinning like it is meant to is a yes, glamping no…she has rejected it out of hand repeatedly and means it, calls them leper camps because they are way down there.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Bunch of Biden voters, got damn. you guys are too easy!

What are you, 7 years old? Blocking people on the internet?? lmao!!!

Extra soy in that latte today?
I realize you think you “got us”, but the only one that’s being made to look foolish here is yourself. If you continuously spout things that are verifiable nonsense then no one is going to trust your advice when you actually try to give legitimate information. Not that it seems likely that will ever happen.

Users who are viewing this thread