Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with new 6.4L

kevin588127

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I tow 8800# travel trailer with another 1500# in the bed through the highest passes in Colorado. Average 10k miles a year. This POS 6.4 just runs the hills with no sweat. I should have bought the diesel so I could do as many of those owners and use it to pickup groceries and haul a 2x4 once in a while.
Will the payload on a 2500 diesel allow you to haul more than 1 2x4?

There was a post on one of the FB groups the other day that was bashing the rotary shifter of the zf transmission. At least a half dozen guys said they bought the diesel so they didn't have to deal with the rotary knob. I can't imagine choosing the engine and trans on a $60k+ truck because of that. I also can't imagine choosing the 68rfe over the zf 8 speed.

406Linetrash

Reaction score

There was a post on one of the FB groups the other day that was bashing the rotary shifter of the zf transmission. At least a half dozen guys said they bought the diesel so they didn't have to deal with the rotary knob. I can't imagine choosing the engine and trans on a $60k+ truck because of that. I also can't imagine choosing the 68rfe over the zf 8 speed.
The rotary shifter never even bothered me. And while I love my Cummins. I had a 90 minute drive to pickup my new truck. And a quick turnaround.

It really is crazy getting out of a zf8 and into a 68. The zf8 is a great transmission

jsalbre

Reaction score
Cmon my PW payload is so low I get nervous throwing a sun dried twig in the back!!
That’s why I went with the Rebel. I hear you can put 3 full grown elephants in the bed with no sag and it’ll still out-wheel a PW.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
lol….not for she and I. I have suffered one of your’s as it slammed and crippled around the deer mountains for a week and never again if I can help it and I will, for sure. If you think a full size diesel performs better at altitude bring it up to the Rubies, ha.
I suppose it depends on what the definition of is, is.

Every powertrain has failures.

And has significant less payload. Gas is more practical for many applications. For example, most of our farm trucks run gas due to the frequent short trips but can still carry more in the bed than the diesels. If you’re confused there’s plenty of other resources available online you could take advantage of.

For hauling, ill agree. Towing however, there is no comparison.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I’ll take 1/10. that’s a good return since it’s more than the effort I put in. I tend to put more effort into my helpful posts than my sarcastic posts these days

Well that's no fun.

If nothing else, I gave the forum some spice heading into the weekend.

Thank me later, guys! :p

louisiana_dog

Reaction score

It took some getting use to, but I love the rotary shifter. Now if I can just quit turning the air on full blast accidentally every once in a while. :D

Dave01

Reaction score
I like the rotary shifter most of the time, I just sold my '15 Durango that had a rotary as well so I'm used to it. Only time I miss having a regular column shift is plowing, I just find it easier to shift, 2 clicks up, 2 clicks down, more natural motion for me compared to the rotary.

Pitboss44

Reaction score
I like the rotary shifter most of the time, I just sold my '15 Durango that had a rotary as well so I'm used to it. Only time I miss having a regular column shift is plowing, I just find it easier to shift, 2 clicks up, 2 clicks down, more natural motion for me compared to the rotary.
We put a snow pusher on a backhoe which has a power shuttle. After plowing with that for a few hours then getting in the truck i always hit the right blinker to go forward at first.

Dave01

Reaction score
We put a snow pusher on a backhoe which has a power shuttle. After plowing with that for a few hours then getting in the truck i always hit the right blinker to go forward at first.
Ha ha, that's the trouble running different equipment!

Nothing to do with trucks, but in the 80's I had a '74 Triumph 750 Bonneville, right foot shift. Then bought an '81 Honda CB900, left foot shift. I was riding both for a while, talk about a cluster for the few few minutes after switching from one to the other. Definitely a safety hazard in that case, ended up getting rid of the Triumph to avoid the problem.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
I’d like a touchpad like the Allison transmission type in my IH7500 4x4. Really dislike the 1950’s transmission “stalk”. Far outlived it’s usefulness.

1674922550170.jpeg

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I’d like a touchpad like the Allison transmission type in my IH7500 4x4. Really dislike the 1950’s transmission “stalk”. Far outlived it’s usefulness.

View attachment 50866
I absolutely hate those transmissions. Every truck we have with one of those won’t get out of its own way.

That said. None of the methods really bother me. It’s not something I think about. Stalk, knob, push button. The Chevy style. None of it.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the insult. I own one of those trucks. :oops:
But anyway, the touchpad is all I am referring to. It won’t make the truck any faster or slower, but it gets rid of the 1950’s automatic transmission stall.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Don't know what the full about, knob or column shifter all good, I'd hate to use a manual column shifter though.

Brad460

Reaction score
New 2022 Ram 2500 ..
Towed my two-place enclosed trailer up north this weekend with a couple snowmobiles ...I was worried how bad the mpg would be and was very surprised to get an avg of 12.2 mpg over 225 miles (some of that was in 4x4). Running between 60-75 mph (road conditions varied).

Driving back home today the roads were clear and ran about 75 -80 mph and averaged 11.8 mpg.

For comparison my 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 would typically average 10.5-10.9 mpg pulling the same trailer on the exact same route over the last few years.

Anxious to pull our wakeboard boat this summer- a much better test. My 2019 Ram 1500 would get between 7.8 and 9 mpg pulling that (but often felt like it struggled to maintain 65 mph).

More to come..

Users who are viewing this thread