Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with new 6.4L

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
Has anyone had the chance to tow with the new 2019 gasser? I am looking at upgrading to a 2500 soon to tow a TT. The trailer we are looking at has a GVWR of 10500lbs. I was wondering how the previous gassers handled that much weight, and how much better the new 19s would be with the 8 speed trans. Would I be hurting myself taking the discounts on an 18? What are your thoughts???

Don-T

Reaction score
I tried pulling a 15k 5th wheel with a ‘18 Ram 3500 6.4 and 4.10 gears. On a 6% grade I went from 60 MPH to 45 MPH and both the engine and trans temps went up considerably. It was about 70* outside. If you get the ‘19 with the 8 speed and pull a travel trailer which pushes much wind than a 5th wheel, you will be ok. Just be prepared for poor fuel mileage. I was getting 12.6 overall, not towing and 7 towing.

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
While I am sure it would be in my best interest to have the 4.10 gear for towing, would I lose much if I went with the 3.73? I am looking at probably going with a Big Horn, and there just aren't very many out yet with the 4.10 gears.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
The 3.73 vs 4.10 really ends up being personal preference unless you intend to exceed the GCWR of the 3.73(21500).

The 4.10 gets you up to 24000.

Next, if you haven't towed with either, then considering the 1500 bunch tow this much...it will be much more pleasant than that.

If you are going to be climbing steep grades everytime you tow, get the 4.10.

If you have no hills, 3.73 will be just as good.

If the camping is just a few times a year, again 3.73...if you tow as often as you just drive around...get the 4.10.

The new 8 speed is to make the 6.4l really wake up...so 3.73 will be an even better match.

Once again it is personal preference if you are under 21500 GCWR...the 4.10 isnt going to make the truck world's different and the 3.73 really isnt going to get you any better or worse mileage.

I said I would not be getting the 3.73...but I did on my newest addition...it had what I wanted and at a great price...so I compromised...haven't had any issues with that decision.

But if you are buying new, and even though the discounts seem great...get the 8speed and enjoy not having to wonder what could have been.

Good luck.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I fall in the middle-ish ground and I went with the 3.73, I think in the long run, I'll be driving around and towing a small trailer more often than I will be towing the TT.

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. I live in Fl, so I think the biggest hill I will hit around here is the Sunshine Skyway bridge, which I think has a 4% grade. It's certainly no Ike Gauntlet... I'm sure at some point we will leave the state to travel (I hope) but I doubt it will be very often. Hopefully we can get out at least once a month even if its just to the local KOA down the street. Hopefully soon I will be posting about a new ride. My wife works for a dealer group here that owns a Ram dealer in TN. We're hoping we can use that to our advantage. Now I need to find a way to raise a big down payment real quick. Myabe I can sell a few of my kidneys or something... :cool:

Still, if anyone gets the chance to really put one of these beast to the test, it would be great to hear about how it went.

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
I have some family out there with a place out in Pine. If k lived in those mountains I would probably try to go for a diesel, especially with that heavy of a trailer. I assume e u went 3500? I'll probably stick to a 2500.

jakalafus

Reaction score
I have some family out there with a place out in Pine. If k lived in those mountains I would probably try to go for a diesel, especially with that heavy of a trailer. I assume e u went 3500? I'll probably stick to a 2500.
Yes. I went 3509 DRW.

Jugular

Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing some more discussion on 3.73 vs. 4.10 with the new 8 spd. Looks like we have some actual reporting on the 3.73 and much more favorable towing results than the 6 spd. Obviously 4.10 should be great for towing, but any other advantages other than approx. 2500lb more tow capacity? Anyone towing with it yet? How much sacrifice in mileage? This is my only remaining decision to make...having a tough time with it. I'm planning on a 2500 Laramie Crew Cab, 6'4" bed. Daily Driver (3x per week)/Family Weekend Trips/Tow heavy (15K) about once a month.

D

Deleted member 80

Assuming the top gear is relatively the same ratio, .63:1, unless it will spend its whole life at low elevation and on flat ground, I would still opt for 4.10s. The 6.4 can't pull this truck on much of a hill in top gear even with 4.10s. Granted, the gear spacing will be better with the ZF, but the more it can stay in top gear, and not downshift the better.

MikeStang

Reaction score
I have 3.73s in my 6.4L 2019 Ram 2500 btw
This is what I'm seeing running on pretty flat ground in Louisiana.
I went over the big Mississippi river bridge in Baton Rouge and decided to see what it would really do...it picked up speed and temps stayed rock steady20190522_081137.jpg

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I have 3.73s in my 6.4L 2019 Ram 2500 btw
This is what I'm seeing running on pretty flat ground in Louisiana.
I went over the big Mississippi river bridge in Baton Rouge and decided to see what it would really do...it picked up speed and temps stayed rock steady

Nice... what's the weight on that?

MikeStang

Reaction score
Nice... what's the weight on that?
CAT 289D operating weight is 10.5k, load haul trailer is around 2.2k, extra forks and bucket another 500 any that POS Mixer prob 500 or so...Max load of about 14k lbs which is the max tow capacity if I recall...
Honestly it's all in how good your trailer brakes are and how well you balance the load of the trailer.
I was pulling the EXACT Trailer with the same load with my 2017 Tundra Crew max which had a 12k max towing capacity, but the Ram feels much more in control than the Tundra did, but the little Tundra with 5.7L and 4.30 gears never missed a beat

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
That is quite a load. It is good to see what these beasts can do. I may still be at least 6 months away form getting one myself so at least I have tome to figure out if the 4.10 gears would be necessary. I'm looking to be pulling possibly close to 11k pounds. With that load, do you think yours would have benefited from the taller gears?

MikeStang

Reaction score
Not sure if I would see much real benefit of what I consider a small gear change, now if they went to a minimum of 4:30 or 4:56 yes indeed.
Comparetively speaking all 9 of My Tundras had 5.7L motors that made 381hp/401Tq, 6 speed with OD trans and 4.30 Gears.
VS
2019 Ram 2500 with 6.4L making 410hp and 429Tq if I recall, with 3.73s and 8 speed auto.

Heres how I see it...
The Ram is more truck Period, the suspension is beefier and the way you load the trailer really doesnt make that big of a difference, it rides better when loaded and just feels better to tow in.
The Tundra on the other hand IMHO can easily step into the ring with the Ram 2500 gas burner with very few modifications, IE..Air bags being #1 on the list. However the Tundra was just a smaller truck despite having above average everything for a 1/2 Ton Rig and as long as the trailer brakes work as they should it will stop pretty much just as well as the 2500.
Now the Tundra with only a few less HP and TQ takes full advantage of it with the 4.30 gears because it felt more snappy and was quicker to get into the RPm's and this seemed to get moving maybe a bit faster than my new Ram...Think a pedal commander is in my future lol...
Now heres the key to this whole deal...
My SR5 Tundras with 5.7, Crew Cab with console and 4wd all ran about 42-45k but for 40k I can get a Ram 2500 which is a lot more truck for the money and who cares if it's not as snappy out of the hole with a 10k lb load on it... So far as longevity is concerned all of my 9 Tundras pulled loads in excess of their rated capacity and all except the most recent that a tree fell on hit 80-100k b4 I traded them in and none ever had motor, rear end or transmission issues.. But why chance it, spend less money, get a Dodge 2500 and know your covered.

Users who are viewing this thread