Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with new 6.4L

raven_dt

Reaction score
Higher altitude = less pressure = lower octane rating required

Exactly. If a video or article uses a title like “Never blah blah blah!” And has a giant “Don’t!” In the preview image, it’s clickbait. Non-clickbait uses actually descriptive titles, like “85 octane may be bad for your engine”, but that’s not nearly as exciting, or “scary”, so less people click on it.
Okay, are you saying that the technical content is incorrect? It could be technically correct but still be sensationalized, correct?

Redfour5

Reaction score
Okay, are you saying that the technical content is incorrect? It could be technically correct but still be sensationalized, correct?
Hyperbole is the new reality. It's all about eyeballs and monetization. The facts and accuracy are of no consequence any longer and so, that is the case. Humor and irony/satire are nuanced things that apparently no one understands anymore. There is no nuance. You try sarcasm and the trolls are all over you because they are incapable of understanding nuanced agreement. Irony, they have to go look up... Satire, well, of course they take it personally...and I am reminded of the Eagles Song... "Get Over It." (Edit) Oh, not directed at you. You seem to be asking a straightforward question...without any manure associated with it.

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
Yes, the technical content of a video could be correct, but still be sensationalized.

The technical content of this video isn't necessarily incorrect, just slightly lacking. It also presents a bias, though potentially unintentional. He shows the full ranges from the study from 1942 (100 octane - 1.5/1000ft, 85 octane - 3.5/1000ft) but only shows his self calculated average for the 1985 study. The same diagram shows a reduction from 100 - 98 at only 3300' using his average from the 1987 numbers. At 6000-10000+ ft (where a lot of Colorado is) the change could be much more significant, especially starting at a lower octane requirement of 87. We're not talking about a race engine here that needs 100 octane at sea level, but his drawing shows "100 -> 98 vs 85" while no one is saying that your car that runs on 100 should use 85 at altitude. He does lower down call out that you're less likely to have an issue if your vehicle is naturally aspirated and if you stay at high altitude.

I do want to say that I don't think they should sell 85 anywhere, especially because they price 85 the same as they would 87 in lower elevations, so they're just ripping you off, but if you're going to make a scientific video about a topic, be rigorous.

chas0218

Reaction score
Has anyone had the chance to tow with the new 2019 gasser? I am looking at upgrading to a 2500 soon to tow a TT. The trailer we are looking at has a GVWR of 10500lbs. I was wondering how the previous gassers handled that much weight, and how much better the new 19s would be with the 8 speed trans. Would I be hurting myself taking the discounts on an 18? What are your thoughts???
I towed about 8k lbs. Didn't really know it was there. That's all fresh 18' rough cut, the trailer was at her max. Averaged 12mpg

Attachments

• 20221209_113055.jpg
    20221209_113055.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 51

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Recently had to make the exact same run with my new truck as I just did with my gasser. Empty and loaded. 1200 miles empty with a few hundred loaded. I’m not trying to turn this into a gas v diesel. Just put up some real world numbers and thoughts since this thread is pretty popular. Loaded mileage is Northern California to Bakersfield. Empty is Northern California to Montana. Both in very comparable conditions (other than the diesel tow) and both with winter fuel. Both trucks have corrected spedo’s.

Trailer.
29’ jayco eagle “ht” fifth wheel.
9740 pounds empty.

Truck. 1
2020 ram 2500 6.4/4.10 Limited slip. Leveled with pucks. 285/75r18(34/11.5) falken wildpeaks

Empty:
Front 4060#,
Rear 3360,
both 7240

Loaded:
Front 4000,
Rear 5240,
both 9240 with 7800 on the trailer axles.

Mileage empty. 12.5, 11.2, 8.2, 11.2. Avg. 10.7
Mileage loaded. 7.8, 8.4. Avg 8.1
(These line up with my lifetime averages)

Truck did everything I asked it to do. Didn’t really complain about anything. Will hit 5 th pulling a steep grade. Didn’t really struggle to keep speed though. Pulled at 65 mph just fine. Just thirsty. I was asking a lot of it though. Transmission is great. Overall. If you’re not going super far or going far but not that often. This truck is a great choice. Easy to maintain. Dont have the initial cost of diesel. No def to worry about. Lots of pluses. Especially with a smaller trailer.

Truck 2:
2020 2509, 6.7 SO, 3.73/LSD. Thuren level. 35/12.5r18 Toyo rt’s

Weights to follow. Will get empty’s tomorrow.

Empty mpg. 14.5, 16.2, 16.5. 18.3. Avg. 16.3
Towing. 13.1, 10. Avg 11.5
To be Fair to the Cummins. I towed today. In a nasty ass windstorm and rainstorm. It sucked. That’s the 10 gallon tank. In march I’ll move the trailer again and get a better estimate of towing mpg.

Just wanted to through out some real world modded towing numbers for those that are interested.

jetrinka

Reaction score
My Power Wagon tows our 5k gross TT just fine. I wouldn't say I don't notice it there though but its not the Hemi's fault. It pulls it just fine but the PW is so soft you certainly feel it back there even with some bags. It does ok though - nothing scary.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
My Power Wagon tows our 5k gross TT just fine. I wouldn't say I don't notice it there though but its not the Hemi's fault. It pulls it just fine but the PW is so soft you certainly feel it back there even with some bags. It does ok though - nothing scary.
I’m glad I had an honest salesman. I was after a power wagon. I believe his direct quote was. “To pull a fifth wheel? Hell no”. Lol. Cause I didn’t know they were de rated that much.

They are sweet though. Glad it works for your setup.

snocam

Reaction score
I tow fairly often with my 2500, 6.4. For work, dump trailer, tool trailer, occasionally equipment. Most I've towed was around 12k so far, truck handles it fine, even pushing 37s. For recreation, I tow our 18ft box trailer, gvwr of 7200lbs all summer long on camping trips. No struggle at all. And I love the payload capacity of the gas 2500. Now, if I was towing 12k and up all the time, diesel for sure. But I love the 8sp and 6.4 so far. Great for my needs. Truck handles heavy loads in the bed well, and rides nice unloaded, great to take off road occasionally too.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Recently had to make the exact same run with my new truck as I just did with my gasser. Empty and loaded. 1200 miles empty with a few hundred loaded. I’m not trying to turn this into a gas v diesel. Just put up some real world numbers and thoughts since this thread is pretty popular. Loaded mileage is Northern California to Bakersfield. Empty is Northern California to Montana. Both in very comparable conditions (other than the diesel tow) and both with winter fuel. Both trucks have corrected spedo’s.

Trailer.
29’ jayco eagle “ht” fifth wheel.
9740 pounds empty.

Truck. 1
2020 ram 2500 6.4/4.10 Limited slip. Leveled with pucks. 285/75r18(34/11.5) falken wildpeaks

Empty:
Front 4060#,
Rear 3360,
both 7240

Loaded:
Front 4000,
Rear 5240,
both 9240 with 7800 on the trailer axles.

Mileage empty. 12.5, 11.2, 8.2, 11.2. Avg. 10.7
Mileage loaded. 7.8, 8.4. Avg 8.1
(These line up with my lifetime averages)

Truck did everything I asked it to do. Didn’t really complain about anything. Will hit 5 th pulling a steep grade. Didn’t really struggle to keep speed though. Pulled at 65 mph just fine. Just thirsty. I was asking a lot of it though. Transmission is great. Overall. If you’re not going super far or going far but not that often. This truck is a great choice. Easy to maintain. Dont have the initial cost of diesel. No def to worry about. Lots of pluses. Especially with a smaller trailer.

Truck 2:
2020 2509, 6.7 SO, 3.73/LSD. Thuren level. 35/12.5r18 Toyo rt’s

Weights to follow. Will get empty’s tomorrow.

Empty mpg. 14.5, 16.2, 16.5. 18.3. Avg. 16.3
Towing. 13.1, 10. Avg 11.5
To be Fair to the Cummins. I towed today. In a nasty ass windstorm and rainstorm. It sucked. That’s the 10 gallon tank. In march I’ll move the trailer again and get a better estimate of towing mpg.

Just wanted to through out some real world modded towing numbers for those that are interested.
Good summary and I agree - it’s apples and oranges. My 6.4 gasser is ok - 7K trailer and about 9 mpg towing average with some 4K towing miles out of 11K total miles. Former truck (Duramax) with this trailer averaged 13.5 towing and was a MUCH more relaxing/comforting experience. I hate all the crap with diesel these days (and I’m a tree hugger at heart) so I went with gas to avoid all that. It’s good - does the job, but it sweats a lot and drinks like a pig.

I showed a pic somewhere on this forum of my mileage at like 22 or something. I had just filled up and went downhill for 5 miles…other than that, it really is thirsty!!

sanda

Reaction score
My real world experience with my 2021 6.4 CC, 8' bed and 4.10's. Trailer 8800# with another 1500 in the bed. 14k towing miles so far . Long term calculated mileage of 9.35 mpg. All terrain including high mountain passes of Colorado.
Empty mileage evic 18.7 mpg, actual 18.26. This was on my last trip empty and included 4 high mountain passes and speeds varies 55 to 75.
I have no complaints and I don't have to deal with all the issues of the newer diesels.

Last edited:

Dave01

Reaction score
My real world experience with my 2021 6.4 CC, 8' bed and 4.10's. Trailer 8800# with another 1500 in the bed. 14k towing miles so far . Long term calculated mileage of 9.35 mpg. All terrain including high mountain passes of Colorado.
Empty mileage evic 8.7 mpg, actual 8.26. This was on my last trip empty and included 4 high mountain passes and speeds varies 55 to 75.
I have no complaints and I don't have to deal with all the issues of the newer diesels.
What do you mean by empty mileage? Why would empty be worse than the long term you show for towing with 1500 in the bed?

sanda

Reaction score
What do you mean by empty mileage? Why would empty be worse than the long term you show for towing with 1500 in the bed?
WOW. I typed this pretty early this morning. I will edit it. Thanks

sanda

Reaction score
Thanks, just read the edits. If you are getting 18 mpg with a 6.4 you are doing something really unusual. In the same type of driving I've seen 15.5 mpg at best, 14 - 14.5 most of the time.
I knew there would be naysayers. Doesn't really matter to me. The mileage is accurate as shown and I don't play the evic game.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Thanks, just read the edits. If you are getting 18 mpg with a 6.4 you are doing something really unusual. In the same type of driving I've seen 15.5 mpg at best, 14 - 14.5 most of the time.
I see similar with mine. If I can run all interstate at 70, I will see 17. My first tank coming from Mark dodge was 18 mpg. That was running the twisty hills through Arkansas so speeds were likely 55ish. Any amount of city driving absolutely tanks my average mpg. I do hand calc quite frequently and my lie o meter is actually pretty accurate.

Dave01

Reaction score
I knew there would be naysayers. Doesn't really matter to me. The mileage is accurate as shown and I don't play the evic game.
Sanda, I didn't mean to sound like I didn't believe you, I've seen enough numbers on enough vehicles to know that different people get different results in seemingly similar vehicles.

I've done hand calc's, in mine the dash indicator seems to run around 1/2 mpg optimistic. I've run highway trips and seen the 15.5 I mentioned, probably averaging 72-74 mph. In mixed driving I drop to 14 or less, and if I'm on local roads, running from one place to another in traffic, I drop to 12-ish. When I first had it I wondered if I could get 17 on some of the highway trips I do but have not gotten close.

This time of year I carry 500 lbs. of sand in the bed which may have some impact, I doubt it's much. I also tend to idle too much around town.

Users who are viewing this thread