Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Step

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Pro Beaver step= some ‘’bump’’ protection if hit square or back into something straight also can hook the loop of tow strap without shackle or hook.
Con Beaver step = can only be used as step if tailgate is up.
Pro factory/ Amp kick out =step works tailgate is up or down.
Con factory/Amp kick out- if you hook onto with strap it will be removed faster than the dealer with a recall number :oops:........ maybe that’s what started this recall crap!
Hope that’s as clear as the mud on my fenders :)
Also I have one truck Beaver/ Amp and one factory kick plus Beaver so I guess you could say‘it stepped up’’

Nick

Reaction score
Don,'t buy the ladder one you see advertised on line . It rattles when driving and is not very sturdy v. Found that out the hard way .

Reaction score
I don't see it as being terribly useful to get in the bed when the tailgate is down... am I missing something?
I'll split hairs with ya....The OP didn't mention anything about climbing in with tailgate up or down, I just went with what I use, but if'n the big trucks had the fancy schmancy split gate then that Beaver Step looks like a perfect Alley-Oop.

Dr__Bob

Reaction score
Don,'t buy the ladder one you see advertised on line . It rattles when driving and is not very sturdy v. Found that out the hard way .
Hmmm... I have the ladder (Beech Lane), and it doesn't rattle. I did proactively wrap the legs with black foam pipe insulation to help, so that was a 5 cent fix. It's sturdy enough for me (200 lbs) to get up and down out of the bed.

jay.duncan81

Reaction score
So the new updated tailgate step is shipping now. Dealerships can get them as of 8/25/20 but they are restricted meaning each dealership can only get one every 7 days. Mine came in today and I got it installed. Took about 30 minutes, really easy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

heyguy

Reaction score
I recently purchased the new updated version of the OEM bed step and installed it but something doesn't seem right and it wants to catch the plastic on the rear bumper when trying to deploy it. I tried to move it around within the tolerances of all the bolt holes and no dice. I ended up taking the washers off the discard bolts and shimming them behind the plate which almost resolved the issue. I plan on stacking another 2 washers behind which should resolve the issue completely. It almost seems like there should be a shim plate included with the step to avoid this issue. I also confirmed with the dealership that it is the correct part # for my truck. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Last edited:

jay.duncan81

Reaction score
I did not experience this issue on my install on my 2020 2500. Only issue on mine was the bottom bolt for the 2 replacement bolts they give you was really tight to turn from the start but otherwise was an easy straightforward install, really pleased how it tucks under. No clearance issues or impacts with the plastic trim for the sensors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Scott_65

Reaction score
I recently purchased the new updated version of the OEM bed step and installed it but something doesn't seem right and it wants to catch the plastic on the rear bumper when trying to deploy it. I tried to move it around within the tolerances of all the bolt holes and no dice. I ended up taking the washers off the discard bolts and shimming them behind the plate which almost resolved the issue. I plan on stacking another 2 washers behind which should resolve the issue completely. It almost seems like there should be a shim plate included with the step to avoid this issue. I also confirmed with the dealership that it is the correct part # for my truck. Anyone else have a similar issue?
Mine does the same thing, I haven’t bothered to address it yet but I’m wondering whether it’s a issue with just 3500’s as the other guy who replied with no issues has a 2500.

heyguy

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing, I haven’t bothered to address it yet but I’m wondering whether it’s a issue with just 3500’s as the other guy who replied with no issues has a 2500.
I'm thinking the same thing. Almost like it was made off a 2500 template but no one bothered to check if it worked on a 3500. A 1/4" shim plate would likely resolve the issue. It's either that or the plastic needs to be trimmed which I refuse to do on a brand new truck. @RamCares

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I'm thinking the same thing. Almost like it was made off a 2500 template but no one bothered to check if it worked on a 3500. A 1/4" shim plate would likely resolve the issue. It's either that or the plastic needs to be trimmed which I refuse to do on a brand new truck. @RamCares

There is a thread dedicated to contacting them here... hey @brutal, how about making it a sticky so it doesn't get buried...

hpc3

Reaction score
Mine did this. I took a dremmel and a small cutting wheel to the plastic trim piece for clearance. If you cut 1/4” x 3” length across the bottom where the step is retracted it clears fine, also can’t see the small notch I removed either.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
There is something as far as the bed step for the 2500s vs the 3500s. My dealership said the bed step fo the 3500s won't be available until next month.

cummins2020

Reaction score
Could it be associated with the 3500 having leaf springs vs the 2500 having coils? (rear shackles in the way?)

John Jensen

Reaction score
I installed the Amp Bed Step and added an adapter bracket to lower it 1 1/4". It would have installed ok but I wanted it a bit lower to make dropping it and stepping up on it easier. Att are pics of our adapter bracket and as installed.

Bed Step Mount-1.jpg
Bed Step-2.jpg
Bed Step-3.jpg
Bed Step-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread