Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Step

WilliamK.Lara

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just purchased a 2019 Ram 3500 and am looking to find a good set of steps for the tailgate. Do you have any recommendations? I am old and vertically challenged, lol, and getting up and down from the bed is difficult and painful. Thank in advance for any and all comments. Have a great day.

v/r

WillWills_truck.jpg

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I have the bed step on my 2500... could the dealer cross check the part number?

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Hello All,

I just purchased a 2019 Ram 3500 and am looking to find a good set of steps for the tailgate. Do you have any recommendations? I am old and vertically challenged, lol, and getting up and down from the bed is difficult and painful. Thank in advance for any and all comments. Have a great day.

v/r

WillView attachment 451

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score

retired.skidkid

Reaction score
I'm eyeballing a couple on Amazon, but have no experience yet for recommending.

and

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I'd like a bed step on the passenger side as well... likely interfere with the exhaust though.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score

and

With my stored vehicle in the garage in Amazon it says neither will fit.

Chriuus

Reaction score

and

I just tried to install the rear bumper step on the drivers side. It didn't fit because of how the backup sensors are now installed. It bolted up fine but the step hit the plastic piece that the sensors are installed in and wouldn't go all the way up.

slimchance

Reaction score
i like the factory tailgate step that is mounted on the drivers side ... just happened to come on my trk ..... very useful when installing the hitch

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
I just tried to install the rear bumper step on the drivers side. It didn't fit because of how the backup sensors are now installed. It bolted up fine but the step hit the plastic piece that the sensors are installed in and wouldn't go all the way up.
First one mentioned here says it will fit my 2019 and 2nd one says will not fit. FYI.

Chriuus

Reaction score
First one mentioned here says it will fit my 2019 and 2nd one says will not fit. FYI.
Yeah amazon said the first one would fit mine too. Look at your bumper. If it has the backup sensors in a little plastic piece below the bumper then the step won't close

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Yeah amazon said the first one would fit mine too. Look at your bumper. If it has the backup sensors in a little plastic piece below the bumper then the step won't close
Well I'm glad on my 2500 and 3500 I ordered it from RAM..

thestuarts

Reaction score
I tried to order a Mopar bed step for my 2019 3500 Laramie, but the parts department told me they don't have a part number for the Ram bed step, yet. I know the part exists, because it comes on the Laramie Longhorn and the Laramie Limited, but it isn't can't be ordered as a stand-alone part at this time.

I took a chance on the 2018 Ram bed step from AMP Research. The "Compatible Vehicle" matrix lists the 2019 3500 as being compatible for non-dual-exhaust and non-ecodiesel models, but I was skeptical. Sure enough, it did not fit my truck.

First, my truck has all of the traffic safety equipment installed, so there is a parking sensor and two wiring harnesses near where the bed step needs to be mounted. Secondly, the trailer hitch mount sticks out into the space where the bed step needs to be mounted.

I decided to go for it and modify the bed step to fit. I simply relocated the two wiring harnesses and shaved off a bit of metal from the bed step, and everything fit! It doesn't even interfere with the parking sensor, so everything works.

Here is a picture of the two wiring harnesses that need to be relocated a little bit to the right.

Here is a picture of the metal that needed to be removed from the bed step.

Here is a picture of it from below after it was mounted.

Here are pictures of the bed step stowed and deployed.

I know it looks like the bed step would interfere with the parking sensor, but I have driven the truck for 200 miles without any problems.

Chriuus

Reaction score
I tried to order a Mopar bed step for my 2019 3500 Laramie, but the parts department told me they don't have a part number for the Ram bed step, yet. I know the part exists, because it comes on the Laramie Longhorn and the Laramie Limited, but it isn't can't be ordered as a stand-alone part at this time.

I took a chance on the 2018 Ram bed step from AMP Research. The "Compatible Vehicle" matrix lists the 2019 3500 as being compatible for non-dual-exhaust and non-ecodiesel models, but I was skeptical. Sure enough, it did not fit my truck.

First, my truck has all of the traffic safety equipment installed, so there is a parking sensor and two wiring harnesses near where the bed step needs to be mounted. Secondly, the trailer hitch mount sticks out into the space where the bed step needs to be mounted.

I decided to go for it and modify the bed step to fit. I simply relocated the two wiring harnesses and shaved off a bit of metal from the bed step, and everything fit! It doesn't even interfere with the parking sensor, so everything works.

Here is a picture of the two wiring harnesses that need to be relocated a little bit to the right.

View attachment 884

Here is a picture of the metal that needed to be removed from the bed step.

View attachment 886

Here is a picture of it from below after it was mounted.

View attachment 887

Here are pictures of the bed step stowed and deployed.

View attachment 888

View attachment 889

I know it looks like the bed step would interfere with the parking sensor, but I have driven the truck for 200 miles without any problems.
It doesn't retract all the way and kind of sits at an angle. I didn't have to shave any metal to install on mine, but I sent it back because it didn't look right. Amp research said the new version will be out in probably 5-6 weeks.

thestuarts

Reaction score
It doesn't retract all the way and kind of sits at an angle. I didn't have to shave any metal to install on mine, but I sent it back because it didn't look right. Amp research said the new version will be out in probably 5-6 weeks.

I see what you mean about it being at a slight angle. I needed a bed step now because I am only 5'6" on a good day, and I have a bad knee, so I had to make this one work. It is good to know the new version will be out in 5-6 weeks; I will probably order one when they come out. Thanks for doing all of the research.

Chriuus

Reaction score
I see what you mean about it being at a slight angle. I needed a bed step now because I am only 5'6" on a good day, and I have a bad knee, so I had to make this one work. It is good to know the new version will be out in 5-6 weeks; I will probably order one when they come out. Thanks for doing all of the research.
Yeah I understand.... I'm 6' and i have to jump to get up on the tailgate lol. That bed lowering with the air ride helps though

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Yeah I understand.... I'm 6' and i have to jump to get up on the tailgate lol. That bed lowering with the air ride helps though
I’ll climb under mine tomorrow and see how it’s installed and if any codes on it.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I’ll climb under mine tomorrow and see how it’s installed and if any codes on it.

If you mean the OEM, someone had asked earlier in another thread.

82215842AC
This is a link to the pic of the Bed Step

Users who are viewing this thread