Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate release in the key fob already present EDIT: Mod complete and works!

BroKV

Reaction score
So where exactly would you use this tape, from what I see you have a 4 pin button that should be soldered with as minimal heat as possible, any heat transfer is going to be up the track to the other components or possibly lift the track and wreck the pad, so I don,t know where an insulator tape would work, maybe to hold the component in place if thats your intention but H3ZSN1P3R way is a better solution and FYI 30 years instructing and operating wave solder and surface mount insertion with IR ovens making communication printed circuit boards for Nortel

FYI, between circuit components is called a signal trace or trace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So where exactly would you use this tape, from what I see you have a 4 pin button that should be soldered with as minimal heat as possible, any heat transfer is going to be up the track to the other components or possibly lift the track and wreck the pad, so I don,t know where an insulator tape would work, maybe to hold the component in place if thats your intention but H3ZSN1P3R way is a better solution and FYI 30 years instructing and operating wave solder and surface mount insertion with IR ovens making communication printed circuit boards for Nortel
As I stated, kapton tape over the SMD devices prevents any accidental damage. I do tend to use it more for desoldering operations although chipquick can help avoid excess heat. Rework is different than new work.

However, it was a precautionary warning to others they can take the advice or ignore it so I don't' see a reason to further debate the point. As much as I hate the saying, You do you.

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
Could someone provide more detail on how the fob comes apart? I have got as far as this but it appears I can go no further without a lot more force than I’m willing to apply. TIA
View attachment 18514
Did you get it? I can’t remember exactly how I got mine but I got the rubber part at the top off which made things a little easier. Also can’t tell from your photo but make sure you have the backing off where you change the battery at.

DasBoot

Reaction score
Did you get it? I can’t remember exactly how I got mine but I got the rubber part at the top off which made things a little easier. Also can’t tell from your photo but make sure you have the backing off where you change the battery at.
I did, thank you. I had removed the battery door. Pulled the rubber part off and then with a little more ‘persuasion’ got the two halves seperated and got access to the board. Pins work as you described so I’ll attempt the switch install after the holidays.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Just did this mod to both of my remotes for my 2021 2500 Laramie. Easy upgrade. Thanks @snakedoctor00 for making me aware that this was a possibility. Side note: I didn’t use any heat tape, etc, but I am also very experienced with soldering. A person without much experience could easily screw things up quickly working with a delicate circuit board, and ruin their not so cheap to replace keyfob. So, this is definitely one of those mods that probably shouldn’t be attempted without the proper skill set.

BroKV

Reaction score
Just did this to my key fob, works perfect. Did have to shave the rubber bumper that lays on top of the micro switch. Otherwise when fully assembled it would not allow proper fuction of the switch.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Just did this to my key fob, works perfect. Did have to shave the rubber bumper that lays on top of the micro switch. Otherwise when fully assembled it would not allow proper fuction of the switch.

It’s a great mod! I’m loving it.

Mike67

Reaction score
The top part comes off then just pull the rubber off and you can remove the board
The rubber cover is a PITA to put back on. Had to cut a bit of it along the edges and it eventually worked out. The mod for the tailgate works perfectly! I did trim the rubber part above the new button as it could get accidentally pressed twice in your pocket.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The rubber cover is a PITA to put back on. Had to cut a bit of it along the edges and it eventually worked out. The mod for the tailgate works perfectly! I did trim the rubber part above the new button as it could get accidentally pressed twice in your pocket.
I had to trim the button backer too but nothing else just a little bit of dish soap on the rubber edge and it can be slid back in place

Mike67

Reaction score
I had to trim the button backer too but nothing else just a little bit of dish soap on the rubber edge and it can be slid back in place
Wish I would have tried the dish soap, was afraid it might short something out and used the old spit method. I have one more FOB I'm going to try the soap method on, thanks for the advice.

SOKY_Ram

Reaction score
I am going to attempt this, and would say that I fall into the category of "don't have the proper skill set" when it comes to soldering. Any tips for a noob in regards to soldering this connection? Good videos? I just ordered that button kit from Amazon and a soldering kit so I'm not turning back now.

Also, after reading this thread again I am a little confused. Do you have to have remote start for this to work?

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I am going to attempt this, and would say that I fall into the category of "don't have the proper skill set" when it comes to soldering. Any tips for a noob in regards to soldering this connection? Good videos? I just ordered that button kit from Amazon and a soldering kit so I'm not turning back now.

Also, after reading this thread again I am a little confused. Do you have to have remote start for this to work?
No you dont need remote start but you can have the dealer enable it after and it will work no need for new keys

For soldering just have the iron hot with the tip tinned, hold button with tweezers and just touch the tip to the button contact till you see the solder melt under it then pull the iron off….

be sure to have some contact cleaner to spray on the board after from the flux

SOKY_Ram

Reaction score
No you dont need remote start but you can have the dealer enable it after and it will work no need for new keys

For soldering just have the iron hot with the tip tinned, hold button with tweezers and just touch the tip to the button contact till you see the solder melt under it then pull the iron off….

be sure to have some contact cleaner to spray on the board after from the flux

My fob only has lock / unlock and Panic now. So can I enable remote start with Alpha OBD, ensure hood latch wiring is present, and solder two switches to my existing key fob to make both remote start and tailgate release work? Or is this wishful thinking?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My fob only has lock / unlock and Panic now. So can I enable remote start with Alpha OBD, ensure hood latch wiring is present, and solder two switches to my existing key fob to make both remote start and tailgate release work? Or is this wishful thinking?
Yes that is what i did

BurnMac42

Reaction score
Has anyone swapwd their key fob under warranty to one with the actual tail gate open button instead of rewiring an existing Fob? Will Ram do that or will they only give you back a matching fob?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone swapwd their key fob under warranty to one with the actual tail gate open button instead of rewiring an existing Fob? Will Ram do that or will they only give you back a matching fob?

IMHO, the very best you could expect is to pay for a new (different) FOB and not be charged for the programming.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Would only be warranty if the fob was defective and would only be what the truck came with

BurnMac42

Reaction score
IMHO, the very best you could expect is to pay for a new (different) FOB and not be charged for the programming.

Would only be warranty if the fob was defective and would only be what the truck came with

That's what I figured but an option would be to just purchase a fob from Ram and that's all I would need for the tailgate release then correct? No other hardware? (2020 3500 Big Horn if it matters)...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That's what I figured but an option would be to just purchase a fob from Ram and that's all I would need for the tailgate release then correct? No other hardware? (2020 3500 Big Horn if it matters)...
Yes thats all you need but your gonna spend 300$+ and they may try to fight you the whole way like my dealershit they tried to tell me you need all kinds of parts to make it work, best bet is buy the fob from an online source and have them or a locksmith program it

Users who are viewing this thread