Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Rumor) Ram locking down ecm’s of 19-21’s?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
OK instead of hearsay here's personal experience. Took my truck to the dealer for the heated steering wheel not working. First thing they do is update the ECU to the most recent if available. Mine had an update needed for the Aisin so they did that.

Got a call from them that they could not get access past the security gate because I still had the bypass installed. No big deal - went down there and swapped the pins.

When I picked the truck up all updates were applied and guess what... the ECU wasn't locked down. The Aisin shifts oh so smooth now.
BUT… The Aisin has its own control module, separate from the PCM. That’s what would have been flashed with the update, and the pcm would not be untouched. So, still not a sure fire way to determine pcm locked status (if there is even such a thing as a pcm flash that locks it).

Last edited:

GPurcell01

Reaction score
BUT… The Aisin has its own control module, separate from the PCM. That’s what would have been flashed with the update, and the pcm would not be untouched. So, still not a sure fire way to determine pcm locked status (if there is even such a thing as a pcm flash that locks it).
Fair enough. I forgot it's stand-alone

madgoal1

Reaction score
The latest updates being done to the ECM DO NOT lock down the controller, it is only an updated part-number. This does not update the controller to the new bootloader that is present in the 2022's.

Last edited:

polcat

Reaction score
So what's the latest? Is there a way to decipher if the ECM has been locked using AlphaOBD with a bypass cable?

madgoal1

Reaction score
So what's the latest? Is there a way to decipher if the ECM has been locked using AlphaOBD with a bypass cable?
there is no locked ECM with the latest updates from Ram. It is only a part number update, if you have tunes you will want to just make sure wherever you got them from sends them over using the new part number.

polcat

Reaction score
So you saying that the ECM before had one part number then after the Y78, recall, it is flashed to reflect a different part #, thus causing issues with tuners?

madgoal1

Reaction score
So you saying that the ECM before had one part number then after the Y78, recall, it is flashed to reflect a different part #, thus causing issues with tuners?
That is the exact reason many tuners are not working as desired. There was more than one update for the Y78 recall, but nothing was locked down, just a new software part number

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That is the exact reason many tuners are not working as desired. There was more than one update for the Y78 recall, but nothing was locked down, just a new software part number

ECM flashes(updates) always install a new part number, why all the panic from the "tuners?" Is it because they hadn't read the stock flash using the correct P/N?

madgoal1

Reaction score
ECM flashes(updates) always install a new part number, why all the panic from the "tuners?" Is it because they hadn't read the stock flash using the correct P/N?
More because they hadn't gotten a read of the new binaries, and didn't have them mapped out yet. Since there was already an initial Y78 part number, no one was really expecting a new one shortly following the initial release. Coupled with the 22' bootloader, the initial fear was the new part number had this change as well.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
More because they hadn't gotten a read of the new binaries, and didn't have them mapped out yet. Since there was already an initial Y78 part number, no one was really expecting a new one shortly following the initial release. Coupled with the 22' bootloader, the initial fear was the new part number had this change as well.

So is there a bounty on cracking the bootloader like there is with android? LOL

CTF2019

Reaction score
P6370931PB this is the flash I received, rumor is the P6470931PB is the one causing problems.
Just going to put this in writing for everyone else.

I’m the one who initially called it in November that the supposed 19-21 lockdown is BS.

I had that exact flash P6370931PB on my 2019. Couldn’t install my RaceMe Ultra as it wouldn’t recognize the p/n.

One recovery request later, and RME Canada sent me a recovery file to revert to the known CP4 flash. Flashed right in no problems. Once I installed the Ultra, I had to tweak some of the FCA settings to get the rail pressure control good with the CP3, but no problems after that.

Now if you have a 2022+ with a 2021 ECM, and the dealer flashes it, there is a high probability of it being locked with the new bootloader.

madgoal1

Reaction score
Just going to put this in writing for everyone else.

I’m the one who initially called it in November that the supposed 19-21 lockdown is BS.

I had that exact flash P6370931PB on my 2019. Couldn’t install my RaceMe Ultra as it wouldn’t recognize the p/n.

One recovery request later, and RME Canada sent me a recovery file to revert to the known CP4 flash. Flashed right in no problems. Once I installed the Ultra, I had to tweak some of the FCA settings to get the rail pressure control good with the CP3, but no problems after that.

Now if you have a 2022+ with a 2021 ECM, and the dealer flashes it, there is a high probability of it being locked with the new bootloader.
Definitely not ideal to run the cp4 cal with the cp3 pump (if done through ram and not the S&S kit), it will work but is definitely not ideal. There are a few things changed related to flow limits and ima current vs flow, along with some pressure for cranking and such. commanded operating pressure are the same comparing 52401032AL to P6401032PB since the cp3 that is in the recall is supposed to be able to handle the higher pressure.

CTF2019

Reaction score
Definitely not ideal to run the cp4 cal with the cp3 pump (if done through ram and not the S&S kit), it will work but is definitely not ideal. There are a few things changed related to flow limits and ima current vs flow, along with some pressure for cranking and such. commanded operating pressure are the same comparing 52401032AL to P6401032PB since the cp3 that is in the recall is supposed to be able to handle the higher pressure.
Yep. I had to edit the max deviation and experiment with current v flow. I’m close enough where it will run at desired pressure, but not good enough that it will do the the nice slow shutdown the new trucks do.

I really don’t care about the shutdown thing though.

madgoal1

Reaction score
Yep. I had to edit the max deviation and experiment with current v flow. I’m close enough where it will run at desired pressure, but not good enough that it will do the the nice slow shutdown the new trucks do.

I really don’t care about the shutdown thing though.
i can send you the data that was changed for the new pump so you have exact #s

madgoal1

Reaction score
Don’t mean to hi-jack but, I see you were comparing fuel pressures in the old CP4 and new CP3 flashes. Is the P6401032PB the flash installed by TSB 18-102-22 Rev A?
not sure which TSB the part number is associated with, i just know that it is the latest release part number for 2020 H.O. with the Y78 recall installed, the previous being: P6401032PA
for a 2019 H.O. latest part number for the Y78: P6401932PB with P6401932PA being the initial one released

PRS

Reaction score
not sure which TSB the part number is associated with, i just know that it is the latest release part number for 2020 H.O. with the Y78 recall installed, the previous being: P6401032PA
for a 2019 H.O. latest part number for the Y78: P6401932PB with P6401932PA being the initial one released
Thanks, good to know. I had HPFP done in May and aircleaner element changed to a previous AA version. Many regens so had them do the TSB Rev A in November but they didn't indicate the P/N.
Asked them to confirm the P/N last week and all they'd say was it's "up to date" and showed me where they installed the PA version at the pump change. Discovered my scanner can see some of the firmware P/Ns and the PCM is at P6401032PB. Changed the air filter back to the AB version like it had originally so maybe it will not regen so much.
Thanks again for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread