Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Start

jak

Reaction score
So I reached out to Ramcares and this is the response I got, I am totally confused now. Getting ready to go to Long Radio and have an aftermarket system put in for $300.

Thank you so much for your patience as we reached out to our internal experts regarding this. The response we received is this:

We cannot add sale codes and reprogram this vehicle to have remote start. The vehicle needs to have a remote start system in order to be able to program a fob and this vehicle does not have the system. Sales code XBM=Remote Start System and the vehicle does not have sales code XBM. It would in fact need a remote start kit.

Furthermore, we reached out to an Accessories Tech and they confirmed that currently there is not a remote start kit available for this vehicle.

We do apologize if this was not the response you were hoping for.

Ram Cares

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So I reached out to Ramcares and this is the response I got, I am totally confused now. Getting ready to go to Long Radio and have an aftermarket system put in for $300.

Thank you so much for your patience as we reached out to our internal experts regarding this. The response we received is this:

We cannot add sale codes and reprogram this vehicle to have remote start. The vehicle needs to have a remote start system in order to be able to program a fob and this vehicle does not have the system. Sales code XBM=Remote Start System and the vehicle does not have sales code XBM. It would in fact need a remote start kit.

Furthermore, we reached out to an Accessories Tech and they confirmed that currently there is not a remote start kit available for this vehicle.

We do apologize if this was not the response you were hoping for.

Ram Cares
Did they already program a fob for you?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Yes, but remote start doesn't work, remote tailgate does works though.
Skip the headache with the dealer. You are all set to activate it yourself.
If you have an android phone, get AlfaOBD from the google play store, a bypass cable for $55 from me, and this OBD interface:
Vgate vLinker MC Bluetooth OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner for Android & Windows https://a.co/d/amVpNeR

If you only have iPhone, get Jscan from the App Store, the bypass cable, and this OBD interface:
Vgate vLinker MC+(BT3.0/BLE4.0) OBD2 Scanner Diagnostic Tool for Android & iOS & Windows https://a.co/d/dM7LlX5

I promise it is very simple to do, even if you don’t know how to turn on a computer.

jak

Reaction score
Thank you Jimmy. I will have my grandson take a look at your response, he will understand it. I'm old I don't even know what phone I have.

jak

Reaction score
Been quite an ordeal but finally got it done today. All is well. Just goes to show the competence or lack of between dealers. Took the tech longer to drive the truck into the shop than do the program. Went back to the first dealer and got my money back. If your hood latch is wired don't give into the dealer if they want to sell you a "remote start kit". Ramcares told me it couldn't be done. (read post #22). Thanks to all for the help.

Reaction score
Skip the headache with the dealer. You are all set to activate it yourself.
If you have an android phone, get AlfaOBD from the google play store, a bypass cable for $55 from me, and this OBD interface:
Vgate vLinker MC Bluetooth OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner for Android & Windows https://a.co/d/amVpNeR

If you only have iPhone, get Jscan from the App Store, the bypass cable, and this OBD interface:
Vgate vLinker MC+(BT3.0/BLE4.0) OBD2 Scanner Diagnostic Tool for Android & iOS & Windows https://a.co/d/dM7LlX5

I promise it is very simple to do, even if you don’t know how to turn on a computer.
Does this work for a 2022 ram 2500 ?

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Yea you all need the bypass cable to make this work. It’s a fairly simple process

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score

Their customer service is crap (don’t respond to emails) and their instructions suck. I posted about this and explained it in another thread. Cable works good though.

Vlinker MC on Amazon, Jscan app…

Use this to turn on the Remote start function. Then you can obtain the pin with the Jscan app, program the keys with same app, I had to try it a few times (see my thread why)….but it works beautifully..

You might need a hood bypass if yours is not present. My fathers 22 big horn didn’t need to do this, it was present.

Once you change the settings, drive the truck 30mph for a few minutes. Then remote start will work.

$80 for the key fob from mopar, $22 for Jscan app, $55 for vlinker and $55 for cable. $200 ish….

Local dealer wanted $180 for the key and $275 to program alone. They wouldn’t turn on sales code without buying the “remote start kit”. I have a commercial account with the dealer so I just bought the fob only. Dealer route would have cost $750 for this vs spending $200 in my driveway having fun

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
@LegendaryLawman thank you so much for this. I’m thinking that this from Amazon might be way easier.

I haven’t seen this option before. Seems like a good alternative.

If the only option was $750-1000 at the dealer, I’d be 100% sold on this.

However…you can go completely OEM for almost the same price, less if you modify your keys or buy aftermarket ones and you get the tailgate release option with a new fob. And unless someone knows you have this option installed to press the lock 3 times, your gonna make someone crap themselves and a buyer down the line will prefer the oem option..

Reaction score
I haven’t seen this option before. Seems like a good alternative.

If the only option was $750-1000 at the dealer, I’d be 100% sold on this.

However…you can go completely OEM for almost the same price, less if you modify your keys or buy aftermarket ones and you get the tailgate release option with a new fob. And unless someone knows you have this option installed to press the lock 3 times, your gonna make someone crap themselves and a buyer down the line will prefer the oem option..
I live in CA so it would be around $200 to have the dealer do this? Cause I bought they keys off ebay I just have to solder the buttons onto mine.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I live in CA so it would be around $200 to have the dealer do this? Cause I bought they keys off ebay I just have to solder the buttons onto mine.
Assuming the dealer would turn the remote star tslaes code on. I would guess $200.

Why don’t you buy the $55 cable, obd2 part for $60 and the Jscan app for $22. Way easier than dealing with a crappy service dept and surprise bill.

Users who are viewing this thread