Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Start

jak

Reaction score
Anyone installed remote start in their Ram 2500? I do know I will have to bring to the dealer to have it programmed, just wondering how difficult to install module and wiring. Thanks.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

jabartram

Reaction score

had mine for 2 yrs, works fantastic.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Anyone installed remote start in their Ram 2500? I do know I will have to bring to the dealer to have it programmed, just wondering how difficult to install module and wiring. Thanks.
No modules and if you have the hood latch wiring already then no wiring is required just the remotes and programming change

jak

Reaction score
No modules and if you have the hood latch wiring already then no wiring is required just the remotes and programming change
So are you saying all I need is to get the new fob and the dealer can reprogram without adding anything else? OEM parts has a "remote start" kit that includes wiring harness, module and fobs. This is a 2022 Tradesmen 2500, doesn't have a lot of factory options.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So are you saying all I need is to get the new fob and the dealer can reprogram without adding anything else? OEM parts has a "remote start" kit that includes wiring harness, module and fobs. This is a 2022 Tradesmen 2500, doesn't have a lot of factory options.
You really don’t even need a new fob if you want to solder on the missing remote start and tailgate release buttons:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yep or like jimmy said solder on the buttons thats what i did. The kit they sell is still using the info from the 4th gens which is different from the 4.5gen setup

Reactions: jak

jak

Reaction score
You really don’t even need a new fob if you want to solder on the missing remote start and tailgate release buttons:

Thank you Jimmy and H3b ut soldering a computer board is beyond my skills.
I have been to 2 dealers and they both told me I need to install a module. One dealer told me it goes behind the rear seat and could take up to 3hrs. Purchasing a couple fobs and paying for a reprogram sounds pretty good to me. How can I convince these "service writers" that a module is not required? Is there anything I can point them to persuade them? Thanks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thank you Jimmy and H3b ut soldering a computer board is beyond my skills.
I have been to 2 dealers and they both told me I need to install a module. One dealer told me it goes behind the rear seat and could take up to 3hrs. Purchasing a couple fobs and paying for a reprogram sounds pretty good to me. How can I convince these "service writers" that a module is not required? Is there anything I can point them to persuade them? Thanks.
Not likely. Do you have any local electronics repair place around that can solder the switches? I would give them the money before a dealer… dealers don't really know whats going on when adding things unfortunately

dmhines

Reaction score
Once I get my Tradesman I'll be activating mine with ALFAODB and soldering a microswitch on my remote ... Bonus is you also get the remote tailgate release as well .. again .. just need to solder on the microswitch - and add the strut. You can short the BCM connector to ground if you don't want to wire the hood latch. You dealer is a numbskull .. the official Mopar remote start kit includes the FOBS + the Hood latch. There is no module.

jak

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the advice. One of the fellas I spoke to (at the dealership) was the service manager, hard to believe he wouldn't know what's what.

jak

Reaction score
Once I get my Tradesman I'll be activating mine with ALFAODB and soldering a microswitch on my remote ... Bonus is you also get the remote tailgate release as well .. again .. just need to solder on the microswitch - and add the strut. You can short the BCM connector to ground if you don't want to wire the hood latch. You dealer is a numbskull .. the official Mopar remote start kit includes the FOBS + the Hood latch. There is no module.

Could I just purchase the fobs and have dealer reprogram as I don't really care about hood release? However, I would like the tailgate release. I have already installed the strut.

dmhines

Reaction score
The hood latch (or BCM grounding) is required for Remote Start to work. it prevents remote starting if the hood is open and somebody possibly has their hands in the engine compartment. YOu can have dealer do any or all of the install .. of course they won't do the wire ground bypass for you ..

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
you can have a locksmith program the remote. no need to go to the dealer.

jak

Reaction score
Finally got a chance to check my hood latch (medical issue) and it is wired! Ordered an OEM fob with the tailgate release. You folks saved me a lotta money, both dealerships wanted over $800 parts and labor plus they told me backordered for 45 or more days. I think you all said to just have them flash the fob for the remote start and the tailgate release would automatically work, is this correct? Now to convince them to just program the fob, amazing how clueless these service departments can be. Thanks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to check my hood latch (medical issue) and it is wired! Ordered an OEM fob with the tailgate release. You folks saved me a lotta money, both dealerships wanted over $800 parts and labor plus they told me backordered for 45 or more days. I think you all said to just have them flash the fob for the remote start and the tailgate release would automatically work, is this correct? Now to convince them to just program the fob, amazing how clueless these service departments can be. Thanks.
Yes all they need to do is add the remote start sales code to the BCM and program the FOB

jak

Reaction score
So, just got back from the dealer and they told me they couldn't program my truck for remote start. He wanted to know who told me all I needed was the fob if I had the hood release latch already wired. I told him I heard it here and he laughed. I then pointed out to him that the only thing the "remote start" kit has is the latch with the wire harness. He said he would look into it and get back to me. BTW my tailgate remote release works. I pointed out to him that would work automatically when remote start is programed, he shrugged his shoulders. This dealer treats me pretty well so don't wanna get into a pissing contest. What can I say to convince him that this is doable? Thanks

Adam06

Reaction score
So, just got back from the dealer and they told me they couldn't program my truck for remote start. He wanted to know who told me all I needed was the fob if I had the hood release latch already wired. I told him I heard it here and he laughed. I then pointed out to him that the only thing the "remote start" kit has is the latch with the wire harness. He said he would look into it and get back to me. BTW my tailgate remote release works. I pointed out to him that would work automatically when remote start is programed, he shrugged his shoulders. This dealer treats me pretty well so don't wanna get into a pissing contest. What can I say to convince him that this is doable? Thanks
I ordered my program on obd2 genie website and did it my self. It also comes with the security wire

jak

Reaction score
You don’t need to convince them it’s doable. You just need to TELL them that you’re paying them to program a key fob, and adding sales code XBM to your VIN.
Thank you Jimmy, will give em a call tomorrow. Its amazing that certified technicians don't know these things but then disclaim information from a web site.

Users who are viewing this thread