Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start added to 2020 Tradesman (SOLVED)

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Dealers are generally stooges when it comes to this stuff. When my buddy took his Tradesman in, they paired the remotes but couldn't get the remote start to work. I got it working with Alpha. You need a better dealer or AlphaOBD.

scdaytona

Reaction score
Dealers are generally stooges when it comes to this stuff. When my buddy took his Tradesman in, they paired the remotes but couldn't get the remote start to work. I got it working with Alpha. You need a better dealer or AlphaOBD.
So when the dealer sets the XBM code, wouldn't the hood latch be set to yes? Trying to avoid buying the alphaobd system.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I had the dealer set the XBM code. They told me the hood switch was not working which I fixed. Still won't remote start and I do not have the Alpha system. I assumed the dealer checked that. My dash shows the remote start canceled due to hood open.
Everything is good as far as programming and the remote start actually functioning- RF Hub receives the command, horn honks indicating the remote start event is initiated, and the remote start event cancels due to the hood being open. The hood ajar setting is correctly set with the sales code, evidenced by the fact that you get a message saying the hood is ajar. There is an issue with the wiring or switch to where the BCM either thinks the circuit is open, or it is not seeing ~1k ohm resistance from the switch sense. Make absolutely certain that you grounded the correct wire on the 2-way hood latch connector, and that the other wire is going straight to pin 11 on the C1 BCM connector. There are two purple wires on the C1 connector, so make sure you got the right one. This is the orientation of the BCM when you look up at it, and the C1 spot identified- 36C47D25-D285-499A-8BB6-1F513B94C640.jpeg
This is pin 11 on the BCM- 687E384C-D0C4-4132-9E50-C0BAB0911845.jpeg
This is the view of position 11 on the connector, looking at the connector from the side the wires are inserted into- 3D306C61-3099-4E6D-863A-5CFF919C5095.jpeg

scdaytona

Reaction score
Jim: I have the wiring going to the correct pin on the C1 connector. I `built the hood connector as shown in the pdf where the upper wire goes to C1 pin 11 and the lower pin goes to ground. When the hood is closed, hood switch is closed and then the wire to pin 11 is now going to ground. I took an ohm meter and measured pin 11 with the hood shut to the negative battery terminal and I have zero ohms not 1k. Does the switch in the hood latch when closed supposed to have 1K across the terminals in the closed position?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Jim: I have the wiring going to the correct pin on the C1 connector. I `built the hood connector as shown in the pdf where the upper wire goes to C1 pin 11 and the lower pin goes to ground. When the hood is closed, hood switch is closed and then the wire to pin 11 is now going to ground. I took an ohm meter and measured pin 11 with the hood shut to the negative battery terminal and I have zero ohms not 1k. Does the switch in the hood latch when closed supposed to have 1K across the terminals in the closed position?
When the hood latch is in the closed position, there should not be zero ohms, it should be around 1k.

scdaytona

Reaction score
Jim: Your a life saver. So I took the connector off the hood latch and with the latch closed, I measured 1K across the contacts. Reversed the wires at the connector and it now remote starts. Need to get a new housing for the connector as I could not get the wires out. Thanks again Jim!

welderjay

Reaction score
Thanks to this forum I successfully added remote start and remote tailgate to my 2021 2500 6.7L tradesman today. The truck already had the hood latch switch from the factory. I printed the PDF instructions and brought my FOBIK part#68374994AC to my local dealer. It took about an hour. They added the XBM code and programmed the FOB. Remote start and tailgate release work perfectly. My FOB cost 110 and dealer cost 160.

krazy302

Reaction score
Glad it worked for you too.. I just added Trailer Tire Pressure Monitor System (TTPMS) to my truck.. Another option that the dealer said could NOT be added after it leaves the factory..

Chefj1

Reaction score
I had success yesterday with the remote start upgrade. I bought the mopar factory FOB. I purchased Alpa OBD and the security bypas cable, however I had the truck at the dealer to get the fuel filter changed and the remote programmed. I asked the guy at the service counter if they would put in the sales code. He was like that wont work, I went on to explain that if the hood latch sensor wire is present than it will work. I told him if they couldn’t figure it out I would do it and left. Picked up my truck a few hours later, key was programmed and remote start working. I checked the invoice and was only charged $88 for the key programming and the charge for the fuel filter install. No charge for the sales code, pretty sweet. Thanks to this Forum for making me know that this was even possible

welderjay

Reaction score
So after having my dealer add the code and having no issues I just noticed I have no stereo control for the remote start. I thought you could disable the horn honk using the settings or controls page? I have the 8.4" u connect. I have a 21 Tradesman

EDIT_ Nevermind it's under the doors and locks header in the settings. I didn't think to look there

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just to clarify- yes, you can enable the remote start setting with AlfaOBD, but you still need to have the dealer program the new fob with the remote start button on it. Therefore, it’s not absolutely necessary to use AlfaOBD to enable remote start, since the dealer can add the XBM sales code for remote start when they program the fob.
There is a “kit”, and all it consists of is two fobs and the hood latch with it’s wiring. If you already have a connector with wires plugged into your hood latch, then all you need is a fob.
mN47pnR.jpg

If you’re buying a fob, you might as well get the one that has the remote tailgate release on it also, as they may be able to add that sales code at the same time. The sales code for remote tailgate release is JKR. @g00fy has a tradesman, and they were able to add it, but I know of another member that has a big horn, and they weren’t able to add it. I suggest before you choose a fob, call the service department at a dealership, and ask them if the sales code JKR is available to add to your VIN. If so, tell them you’d like to schedule an appointment to have sales codes XBM and JKR added, and a fob programmed that you are supplying. Here’s a fob with remote start and tailgate release - https://www.uhs-hardware.com/produc...-5-button-smart-key-pn-68374994ab-gq4-76t-oem
Here’s one with remote start only- https://www.uhs-hardware.com/produc...-4-button-smart-key-pn-68365327ab-gq4-76t-oem

*EDIT* 11/17/20- I would no longer recommend UHS hardware for fobs unless they can guarantee you are getting a brand new one. Multiple reports of members getting refurbished from them, and they won’t program.
Sorry to dig up old threads but just called the dealer they insisted i would need to add a module for xbm code to work is there any truth to this? im pretty sure they are wrong as the only items listed for remote start kits is the fobs and hood latch which i have the hood latch and the fobs…..

welderjay

Reaction score
There is no module to add. If you have the switch on your hood latch and already have a fob that locks and unlocks you have all you need except the new fobs with start function and the added XBM code. I had to try a couple dealers before I found one that was receptive and willing to do as asked. I did have to sign something for them stating I am asking them to do add this and that they aren't liable if they smoke the computer (they had issues with adding the 3rd or 4th gen remote start). He said they made anyone that asks for added codes to acknowledge this.

tpurka713

Reaction score
So after reading this thread, I checked my new 2021 ram 2500 I already had the hood switch so I googled keys, I purchased 2 keys with remote start and remote tailgate from “carsandstruckremotes.com” they claim to be oem but when I got them they had black tape over the “ram” logo…. Might just be for licensing or something but I popped them open to make sure they had batteries they both did and I inspected the part number on the inside to make sure it’s what I ordered, the part numbers did not match what I ordered instead they sent me the latest supersession number which is a win in my book. So I scheduled my appointment for 2:45 today went to the dealer they added the remote start sales code but as other members have stated they couldn’t locate the sales code for remote tailgate …. So I said to the tech just program them … which he did, and boom both remotes programmed 1st try but remote start wouldn’t work, so I told the tech take it for a spin around the block and and remote start now works “after a test drive” and remote tailgate works also “no test drive needed for tailgate”

so thank you to all you guys this made me not buy the $300 kit when all the kit has is a hood switch and 2 keys

I’m in NY so dealer fees are high programming was $160 + the 2 keys came to $188 and the tailgate strut was $28 so in it all for $376 but I have all factory stuff

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky on those REMAN/USED carsandstruckremotes fob's.

Mine would not program, but at least they took it back for full credit.

tpurka713

Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky on those REMAN/USED carsandstruckremotes fob's.

Mine would not program, but at least they took it back for full credit.
Really … i guess I got lucky then

glad they gave you a refund

Barndaneous

Reaction score
Sorry for delay in response. Haven't been on for a while. Yes A/C or heat comes on same as was before leaving vehicle, doesn't turn on if it was not on before. I have not had to push the start button to drive. I have had a couple of times when the doors have been unlocked for over a few minutes the truck shuts off when the door is opened. I did add the phone app so I can lock/unlock the doors or remote start/stop from anywhere. Really like this as the factory fob range is limited.
Does the Remote Start through the Uconnect app work from the factory, or after you installed the aftermarket remote start?

SOKY_Ram

Reaction score
What is the best way to tell if your hood latch is wired to BCM? I tried to change the setting in alphaobd to say the wire was present and the hood open icon stayed lit on instrument cluster. Guessing this means the wiring is not present. Any input is much appreciated.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Chrisminx

Reaction score
What is the best way to tell if your hood latch is wired to BCM? I tried to change the setting in alphaobd to say the wire was present and the hood open icon stayed lit on instrument cluster. Guessing this means the wiring is not present. Any input is much appreciated.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
Wouldn't the best way be to look at the hood latch to see if you have the connector with wires coming out of it? Like the picture in post #14?

SOKY_Ram

Reaction score
Wouldn't the best way be to look at the hood latch to see if you have the connector with wires coming out of it? Like the picture in post #14?
Thanks, that pic confirms I do not have the wiring. I was having some internet issues at home and a lot of the pictures weren't loading so I missed that. I wasn't sure if you could see the electrical connection with all that plastic in place.

SOKY_Ram

Reaction score
Update to my project. So instead of getting new Key Fobs, I followed the advice from @snakedoctor00 and @H3LZSN1P3R and soldered switches onto my tradesman key fob in the locations of the tailgate release and remote start buttons. I enabled remote start in alphaOBD. I now have working tailgate release and the truck horn sounds when remote start button is hit. Just have to wire the hood ajar switch and all should be in working order. Even got some silicone covers for Fobs with correct button labels from Amazon. Including the hood latch and tailgate damper it was less $100 to get both added and no trips to dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread