Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start added to 2020 Tradesman (SOLVED)

Kunkernator

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum, as I bought not only my first Ram HD, but my first new vehicle! A 2020 2500 Tradesman with the Cummins diesel, 4x4 6'4" bed, upgraded with 8.4" uconnect.....

The only option it does not have, that I truly desire, is a remote start. My truck has a push button start and keyfob.

The dealer said it would be $700 to install a remote start, my question is, to get the factory remote start; what do I need to do?

Is it just as simple as buying and programming the new keyfobs with the extra key, and then having the truck Vin coded?

I am wondering what, cheaper options there are to obtain the factory remote start.

Thanks!

[mod: Solution info below:]

Late 2023 update: JScan can now program HD FOB's, known working GQ4-76T 5 button FOB here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/194308932824

AlfaOBD or JSCAN* setup:

OBDII reader: vGate vLinker MC/MC+ or OBDLink MX/MX+ recommended (See AlfaOBD thread for discussions on readers)
Hood latch connector and wiring info in @Jimmy07 post here: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...dded-to-2020-tradesman-solved.2401/post-35045
Install and pin hood latch pin 1 to BCM C1 Pin 11, pin 2 to ground
Optionally connect BCM C1 Pin 11 to 1K Ohm resistor to ground if not using the hood latch
Using Jscan or AlfaOBD, set VehConfig 1 Remote Start Present = Yes

Have dealer program OEM FOB or use JSCAN to program OEM or Aftermarket FOB

Last edited by a moderator:

BillnLA

Reaction score
Faced a similar issue with a 2019 Bighorn. Factory remote lock/unlock and push button start. Could not add OEM remote start due to software conflicts with Keyless Go. Maybe they have fixed for 2020 and later. Had to go aftermarket, 12Volt Solutions was my decision.

Kunkernator

Reaction score
Faced a similar issue with a 2019 Bighorn. Factory remote lock/unlock and push button start. Could not add OEM remote start due to software conflicts with Keyless Go. Maybe they have fixed for 2020 and later. Had to go aftermarket, 12Volt Solutions was my decision.

I appreciate the response. It sounds like the dealer is able to install the remote start, I'm just curious as to what the part numbers for the kit are.

On the flip side, how do you like the 12v solutions remote start? Does it turn on the AC/heat like the factory one? When you get in the vehicle, just push the button and go?

DownShiftz

Reaction score
I just installed a remote start on my 2020 push-to-start. It is a Fortin kit and it’s pretty slick. Under $200 and allows you to retain your factory fob. Allows some customization such as engine run time, lock/unlock selection and sequence.

g00fy

Reaction score
On my 2019 Tradesman 6.7, I installed the remote start myself. I bought a brand new key FOB from another forum member for $75. I already had AlfaOBD and all the stuff i needed for that to tell the truck it had remote start. Then it cost me $80 to have the dealer add the new FOB to the truck.

There's no special hardware required other than a key with the proper buttons. As an added bonus the key i happened to get had the tailgate release button on it, and once the key was programmed to the truck that worked without even having to adjust anything in alfaOBD.

Last edited:

bshown

Reaction score
On my 2019 Tradesman 6.7, I installed the remote start myself. I bought a brand new key FOB from another forum member for $75. I already had AlfaOBD and all the stuff i needed for that to tell the truck it had remote start. Then it cost me $80 to have the dealer add the new FOB to the truck.

There's no special hardware required other than a key with the proper buttons. As an added bonus the key i happened to get had the tailgate release button on it, and once the key was programmed to the truck that worked without even having to adjust anything in alfaOBD.

Thinking about getting AlfaOBD for this and a couple other reasons. How hard was it to add the remote start with it?

g00fy

Reaction score
Thinking about getting AlfaOBD for this and a couple other reasons. How hard was it to add the remote start with it?

It's extremely easy, there is a flag pretty close to the top of the list for "remote start present" set it to yes and you're done.Screenshot_20200806-174741.png

bshown

Reaction score
One more quick question, if I buy the remote start kit, do the key fobs come with the icon for releasing the tail gate, or should I order that type of key seperate?

g00fy

Reaction score
One more quick question, if I buy the remote start kit, do the key fobs come with the icon for releasing the tail gate, or should I order that type of key seperate?

I don't know about the kit, sorry man.

g00fy

Reaction score

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Just to clarify- yes, you can enable the remote start setting with AlfaOBD, but you still need to have the dealer program the new fob with the remote start button on it. Therefore, it’s not absolutely necessary to use AlfaOBD to enable remote start, since the dealer can add the XBM sales code for remote start when they program the fob.
There is a “kit”, and all it consists of is two fobs and the hood latch with it’s wiring. If you already have a connector with wires plugged into your hood latch, then all you need is a fob.
mN47pnR.jpg

If you’re buying a fob, you might as well get the one that has the remote tailgate release on it also, as they may be able to add that sales code at the same time. The sales code for remote tailgate release is JKR. @g00fy has a tradesman, and they were able to add it, but I know of another member that has a big horn, and they weren’t able to add it. I suggest before you choose a fob, call the service department at a dealership, and ask them if the sales code JKR is available to add to your VIN. If so, tell them you’d like to schedule an appointment to have sales codes XBM and JKR added, and a fob programmed that you are supplying. Here’s a fob with remote start and tailgate release - https://www.uhs-hardware.com/produc...-5-button-smart-key-pn-68374994ab-gq4-76t-oem
Here’s one with remote start only- https://www.uhs-hardware.com/produc...-4-button-smart-key-pn-68365327ab-gq4-76t-oem

*EDIT* 11/17/20- I would no longer recommend UHS hardware for fobs unless they can guarantee you are getting a brand new one. Multiple reports of members getting refurbished from them, and they won’t program.

Last edited:

bshown

Reaction score
Just to clarify- yes, you can enable the remote start setting with AlfaOBD, but you still need to have the dealer program the new fob with the remote start button on it. Therefore, it’s not absolutely necessary to use AlfaOBD to enable remote start, since the dealer can add the XBM sales code for remote start when they program the fob.
There is a “kit”, and all it consists of is two fobs and the hood latch with it’s wiring. If you already have a connector with wires plugged into your hood latch, then all you need is a fob.
mN47pnR.jpg

If you’re buying a fob, you might as well get the one that has the remote tailgate release on it also, as they may be able to add that sales code at the same time. The sales code for remote tailgate release is JKR. @g00fy has a tradesman, and they were able to add it, but I know of another member that has a big horn, and they weren’t able to add it. I suggest before you choose a fob, call the service department at a dealership, and ask them if the sales code JKR is available to add to your VIN. If so, tell them you’d like to schedule an appointment to have sales codes XBM and JKR added, and a fob programmed that you are supplying. Here’s a fob with remote start and tailgate release - https://www.uhs-hardware.com/produc...-5-button-smart-key-pn-68374994ab-gq4-76t-oem
Here’s one with remote start only- https://www.uhs-hardware.com/produc...-4-button-smart-key-pn-68365327ab-gq4-76t-oem

Thanks for the headsup that that the remote tailgate release would likely work. Worked perfect on my Tradesman. Now just waiting on my security bypass to get here to add the remote start. Dealer wanted $100 more to add the sales codes after programming the key.

g00fy

Reaction score
Thanks for the headsup that that the remote tailgate release would likely work. Worked perfect on my Tradesman. Now just waiting on my security bypass to get here to add the remote start. Dealer wanted $100 more to add the sales codes after programming the key.

Yea, when i spoke to my dealer, they got $79 just to program the key and they didn't say anything about enabling the remote start, so I just assumed they either would've said they couldn't do it, or tried to charge me for an hour of labor.

bshown

Reaction score
Mine was very fair at $52 to program the key. If I didn't need ALFAOBD for the TTPMS when my parts get here, I would have just paid the extra.

g00fy

Reaction score
Mine was very fair at $52 to program the key. If I didn't need ALFAOBD for the TTPMS when my parts get here, I would have just paid the extra.

That is very reasonable, i let it slip that i got the key 2nd hand but never used, so they were like oh well if you bought it online, it's still $79 whether the key pairs or not, and they claim it took 3 tries to get the key to pair.

TogaLock77

Reaction score
My dealer charges 80 to pair the key. Nothing to activate the remote start code

kristof

Reaction score
I just purchased one. So now I just need to take it to my local dealer to be programmed?

Users who are viewing this thread