Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start added to 2020 Tradesman (SOLVED)

roybell

Reaction score
Looking at the hood latch with switch for a 2019 Tradesman 2500:
68261143AA - fits 2010 to 2019 all models MSRP $116.00
68361149AB - fits 2019 to 2024 all models MSRP $62.85

Since both are listed as fitting a 2019, what is the difference between the two and are the switch output the same? Looking at pictures they look identical and the pins on the sensor look identical. Are the switch outputs different? Was there an undated BCM requiring a different switch output?

Pulled everything apart and there is no cable existing. Ordered the resistor to ground out the pin vs running a new wire to the cab.

Was able to get the new ebay key programmed using JScan. There is an option to turn remote start on from that app too. I enabled it. It tries to start (flashes lights) but I haven't enable the hood latch or put the resistor in yet.

Last edited:

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I used the Jscan and programmed the 5 button key, worked good and tailgate works great now. I used Jscan to activate the remote start function which was successful. However, when trying to use the key to activate the remote start, it just beeps the horn and no start. I tried locking the truck and nothing. 2022 Big Horn - Has the factory installed hood latch with the Electical connector (see photo).

What else am I missing? Do I still need the resistor? I thought if you had the plug at the latch, it wasn't needed but obviously im missing something. I do have the pre-heater disconnected since the recall hasn't been completed yet- not sure if thats the problem?

Attachments

• tempImageHZZpId.png
    tempImageHZZpId.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 14

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I used the Jscan and programmed the 5 button key, worked good and tailgate works great now. I used Jscan to activate the remote start function which was successful. However, when trying to use the key to activate the remote start, it just beeps the horn and no start. I tried locking the truck and nothing. 2022 Big Horn - Has the factory installed hood latch with the Electical connector (see photo).

What else am I missing? Do I still need the resistor? I thought if you had the plug at the latch, it wasn't needed but obviously im missing something. I do have the pre-heater disconnected since the recall hasn't been completed yet- not sure if thats the problem?
Need to drive the truck over 30mph first before remote start will work.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
As stupid as this sounds- drove it 30mph+ and it magically works lol. Thanks for the tip

When pulling the pin for the key fobs, it took several tries and finally worked. It spit out a code like 4 41 44. When programming the key fob it limits you to 6 digits, I tried 44144 without spaces and it errored. I then did 4 41 4 and it worked!! Basically just do the first 6 digits and leave anything else off, this was for a 2022 2500 big horn. This is a tip for programming the key. I ordered the 5 button key from local dealer I have an account with so it was next day delivery and $75

roybell

Reaction score
Got it to work on my 2024 Tradesman. Found the purple wire in the gray harness under the hood. I had to ground with 1K resistor. I tried without it and the 500ohm setting and it showed hood ajar. Changed to 1K and it showed closed with the resistor. I am going to order the hood switch and run to the wire I spliced in so it functions as OEM.

$37 damper
$25 Ebay switch
$49 software (I purchased 3 licenses)

Got remote tailgate, and remote start for under $120 Going to put it on a few others in the fleet now.

MrPlayItSafe

Reaction score
Pulled everything apart and there is no cable existing. Ordered the resistor to ground out the pin vs running a new wire to the cab.

Was able to get the new ebay key programmed using JScan. There is an option to turn remote start on from that app too. I enabled it. It tries to start (flashes lights) but I haven't enable the hood latch or put the resistor in yet.
I’m in the process of getting parts together for this. I have the key fob, OBD, security bypass to do it. But no hood ajar switch yet. I’m going to just do the resistor option. Were you able to successfully do the remote start with adding the hood ajar switch or no?

MrPlayItSafe

Reaction score
Just a recap on my findings with my new 2023 Ram 2500 Bighorn that I purchased Monday 12/4.

Figures, truck is optioned with the 12" radio, Alpine speakers and subwoofer, $1600 worth of 20" wheels, but no remote start.

Ordered these key fobs:
View attachment 66393

Installed a 1K OHM 1/2 watt resistor at the connector under the relay center, underhood.

Pulled pin code and programmed two new fobs with JScan, enabled remote start via AlfaOBD.

When enabling remote start, the remote tailgate opening is enabled too.

You need #68362518AA, tailgate strut.

Truck now has operational remote start and remote tailgate, with the soft open and close strut installed.
Can you post a pic of the connector you found the pin at?

roybell

Reaction score
I’m in the process of getting parts together for this. I have the key fob, OBD, security bypass to do it. But no hood ajar switch yet. I’m going to just do the resistor option. Were you able to successfully do the remote start with adding the hood ajar switch or no?

I don't have the hood latch, but will be buying one.

I followed the instructions in this POST by Jimmy. The Gray harness plug is under the fuse box in the engine bay. I found the wire from Pin 9. I cut it, soldered on a 1K resistor, extended a wire from the end of the resistor and grounded it to one of the ground bolts near the fender. That's all it took. I will purchase the hood latch ($45), remove the resistor, and extend the wiring to the latch so it's factory compliant.

Dan Carey

Reaction score
You guys are very lucky to have the generous, knowledgeable people to help you.

JustARam22

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum, as I bought not only my first Ram HD, but my first new vehicle! A 2020 2500 Tradesman with the Cummins diesel, 4x4 6'4" bed, upgraded with 8.4" uconnect.....

The only option it does not have, that I truly desire, is a remote start. My truck has a push button start and keyfob.

The dealer said it would be $700 to install a remote start, my question is, to get the factory remote start; what do I need to do?

Is it just as simple as buying and programming the new keyfobs with the extra key, and then having the truck Vin coded?

I am wondering what, cheaper options there are to obtain the factory remote start.

Thanks!
If you want to go factory is can be done for 3-500

Buy alpha OBD
Buy bypass cable
Buy OEM remote with remote Start on fob
Install bypass
Active feature with alpha OBD
Have dealer program keyfobs

Good to go....

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score

Buy alpha OBD
Buy bypass cable
Install bypass

Good to go....

You don’t need the dealer- use Jscan and not Alfa. Turns on the option and will program your keys too.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Buy alpha OBD
Buy bypass cable
Install bypass

Good to go....

Do you realize you're replying to the OP post from 2 years ago?

dablack21

Reaction score
So I went through all 36 pages of this thread, but I don't know that I saw a picture of the resistor installed.

I ask because I bought the kit to install remote start on my 2022 hemi several months ago with the tailgate damper and two key fobs with the tailgate release too. However, my dumbass bought the kit WITHOUT the hood latch sensor kit. It sat in the box for months until now. Looking through this thread, I see you can't purchase the wiring harness and sensor. This leaves me with 2 options-- Buy the whole kit and try to sell the key fobs, or just install the resistor. But I want to make sure I do it right. I see the location that it needs to be installed to, but I want to make sure I will do it right.

Does anyone have a pic of the completed install? Did I just miss a pic on one of the previous 35 pages?

Users who are viewing this thread