Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start added to 2020 Tradesman (SOLVED)

TxRam

Reaction score
In order to use alfaobd, you have to install some bypass kaodtech cable? Is the cable difficult to install?
Super easy. Flash light helps. I had issues removing it, as the retainer clip on one didn't want to release correctly. After I got it out, I cut off the retainer clips and haven't had another issue. Total install time, if not mounting it permanent, is <5 minutes, having never done it before.

leeparnell89

Reaction score
So I’m in the the install of the hood latch process. Accessing the BCM was horrible, no space and removing that amp thing looks to be a bear. My C11 had a purple with a white stripe wire in it. Thankfully I had some child labor on hand, no way my hand is fitting in there.

So I was able to conned the pin (or so I thought), got it all connected, the recommended security bypass cable in the odb port, with odblink lx, alfaodb on the pc and this isn’t very intuitive. Looks like I’m able to read the data fine but not sure how to get to settings the options?
dd0abda444155269f0f3b6d41babc154.jpg

Really wish I tried the phone version as all the screenshots I’m seeing in the forums seem to refer to it and not this.

I found the section where remote start is detected (not present of course)
3948dc8d6c4ff3d5d336da12bd4084b9.jpg

I did find the configuration section on the windows version here:

391400f71da41a631226dab07d19390d.jpg

Basically you need to select the “active “ tab” and select “configuration “ on the drop down, second from the bottom.

I enabled the Remote Start, the horn on remote start. However after enabling the Hood Ajar sensor I’m getting a “hood ajar” warming light .

Looking at the instructions on the hood latch I got pin 11 on the a connector so not sure what’s going on at this point. Tomorrow I’m going to shove the boy back under the dash and we’ll try again. Should have I not enabled the “hood ajar “ at connector a pin 11 ?

0960c63dd8c6758afe78e1027bd442e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would anyone who’s done this with alpha on a windows computer mind helping walk me through it? I don’t have anything with google play so my only option was on my laptop and it’s not showing the options that I’m seeing others have through the mobile app. I don’t have the “car co figuration” option like heavyg603 does above and I’m lost as to where to go. It shows connected to my truck so I don’t think that’s the issue but who knows.
fada6acc7400c91f6b5ac6d3a2709ea6.jpg

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Would anyone who’s done this with alpha on a windows computer mind helping walk me through it? I don’t have anything with google play so my only option was on my laptop and it’s not showing the options that I’m seeing others have through the mobile app. I don’t have the “car co figuration” option like heavyg603 does above and I’m lost as to where to go. It shows connected to my truck so I don’t think that’s the issue but who knows.
fada6acc7400c91f6b5ac6d3a2709ea6.jpg

You’re connected to the wrong module. You connect to the body computer, not the rf hub.

leeparnell89

Reaction score
You’re connected to the wrong module. You connect to the body computer, not the rf hub.

Thanks @Jimmy07, that did the trick. Drove around for a couple minutes and got over 30 mph after activating, but didn’t work when I got home. Figured I needed to drive it a little more and was planning on doing that today but low and behold the remote start worked this morning. Forever grateful for you guys that tinker and try these things that most think won’t work.

Procharged392

Reaction score
I called my local dealer and provided 68475385AA they stated that superceded to 68538050AB which is on backorder with no ETA. Is this correct?

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
Can someone walk me through taking the key fob apart to solder buttons on? I have the battery out but I don't want to start randomly prying and break some small piece of plastic.

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
settings the options?
dd0abda444155269f0f3b6d41babc154.jpg

Really wish I tried the phone version as all the screenshots I’m seeing in the forums seem to refer to it and not this.

I found the section where remote start is detected (not present of course)
3948dc8d6c4ff3d5d336da12bd4084b9.jpg

I did find the configuration section on the windows version here:

391400f71da41a631226dab07d19390d.jpg

Basically you need to select the “active “ tab” and select “configuration “ on the drop down, second from the bottom.

I enabled the Remote Start, the horn on remote start.

For anyone with a 2022 Tradesman doing this, I was successful today following the above procedures.

To recap, I had to do all of the following.

Purchase:
Micro-switches on Amazon - $9
AlfaOBD - $55
OBD EX (I bought the cable version, but MX+ bluetooth seems to be more common) - $50
KoadTech Bypass Cable -$55

Work:
1. Solder microswitches onto key fobs. (I also did tailgate release, worked immediately with no computer adjustments)
2. Install Bypass Cable
3. Start truck, hook up OBD cable, start AlfaOBD, connect, and change the following settings:
  • VehConfig-1 Remote Start Present - YES
  • BCM, Cust.Set.Menu 1-Sound Horn with Remote Start CSM Present- YES
  • CBC I/O: Connector A Pin 11: Hood Ajar Switch Input Present- YES (It seems for 2022 this is already enabled because my truck came with the switch from the factory and it was already on YES)
4. Disconnect AlfaOBD, unplug all the cables. Turn off truck. Turn on truck. Drive over 30 MPH. Turn off truck.
5. Success! Both fobs worked perfectly immediately and I had none of the issues with not being able to unlock it afterwards (so far).

When I unlock it and get in, no codes, no issues. Display reads "Remote Start Active" and I just hit the start button and it's good to go.

Good luck to anyone else trying to add unlock some functionality to their truck!

Last edited:

commguy1981

Reaction score
For anyone with a 2022 Tradesman doing this, I was successful today following the above procedures.

Purchase:
AlfaOBD - $55
OBD EX (I bought the cable version, but MX+ bluetooth seems to be more common) - $50

Work:
1. Solder microswitches onto key fobs. (I also did tailgate release, worked immediately with no computer adjustments)
2. Install Bypass Cable
3. Start truck, hook up OBD cable, start AlfaOBD, connect, and change the following settings:
  • CBC I/O: Connector A Pin 11: Hood Ajar Switch Input Present- YES (It seems for 2022 this is already enabled because my truck came with the switch from the factory and it was already on YES)
4. Disconnect AlfaOBD, unplug all the cables. Turn off truck. Turn on truck. Drive over 30 MPH. Turn off truck.
5. Success! Both fobs worked perfectly immediately and I had none of the issues with not being able to unlock it afterwards (so far).

When I unlock it and get in, no codes, no issues. Display reads "Remote Start Active" and I just hit the start button and it's good to go.

Good luck to anyone else trying to add unlock some functionality to their truck!
Awesome info! Would it be possible to put the Amazon links in here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Christofo

Reaction score

Purchase:
AlfaOBD - $55

Work:
2. Install Bypass Cable

My truck is a 2022 with most options available on a Tradesman and did NOT have the switch.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My truck is a 2022 with most options available on a Tradesman and did NOT have the switch.
Its hit or miss what options give you the hood ajar sensor, my 19 2500 Tman lvl 2 has the hood sensor from the factory

commguy1981

Reaction score

.b0link

Reaction score
So, my tradesman does not have the switch, and does not appear to have the wiring for it. Does someone in here make a dummy switch or jumper that I could install without having to route all the way through the firewall and install onto the latch? What is my best option here as it seems like the only way to get latch wiring is through the kit, and the kit is seemingly backordered everywhere.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So, my tradesman does not have the switch, and does not appear to have the wiring for it. Does someone in here make a dummy switch or jumper that I could install without having to route all the way through the firewall and install onto the latch? What is my best option here as it seems like the only way to get latch wiring is through the kit, and the kit is seemingly backordered everywhere.
@Jimmy07 there is a spot under the fuse box he can put a resister and no need to run anything to the BCM correct?

Mr.mossy23

Reaction score
I'm at a loss, installed Kaodtech bypass, hooked up OBD Ex to the computer and all I get is a connection failed message. any ideas?

Attachments

• 20220625_140128.jpg
    20220625_140128.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220625_135739.jpg
    20220625_135739.jpg
    813 KB · Views: 27

TxRam

Reaction score
Looks like it's not even seeing the OBD module. Verify you have a good connection to the OBD port off of the bypass cable. Make sure the cable is plugged into the ODB port well. Turn ignition to Aux. Your OBD module should have some sort of LED saying it has power.

Mr.mossy23

Reaction score
Just double checked all the connections, should the truck be running when using alfa or just on acc.? on the bright side I now have a green light on the OBDLink but am still getting the connection failed message.

Attachments

• 20220625_151420.jpg
    20220625_151420.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread