Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start added to 2020 Tradesman (SOLVED)

Jgouldski

Reaction score
Any update?

I grounded pin 9 and changed the setting to "500 ohm series and 500 ohm parallel resistors". I get the hood ajar alert on the dash. Drove it into town and back, the alert never went away. I just ordered some 1k resistors to try next.
No change on my end. Same as how you describe it. The new hood latch is supposed to be in tomorrow so I'll take a crack at that.

Jgouldski

Reaction score
I got it all installed and it worked the 1 time I tested it. I went the route of installing pins and running wires from the connector under the fuse box that then has wires running from it to the BCM to tell the computer that the hood is closed. Ran the wires to the new hood latch with hood ajar sensor I bought, and put together the female side of the connector myself with 2 pins. It's all "factory" now, in the sense that the wires and pins at connectors are all the same as what would be there if the option was there from build.

Burtk5687

Reaction score
It's extremely easy, there is a flag pretty close to the top of the list for "remote start present" set it to yes and you're done.View attachment 6313
Today I added the push buttons to one of my key fobs for remote start and tailgate release. Tailgate release worked like a charm…need to add the damper strut. When I went in and made changed with the ALphaOBD and hit the remote start I get a horn blast but the truck does not start. I made the following changes:
1. Vehconfig 1 Remote start preset-yes
2. CBC conf I/O connector A pin 11 hood adjar input preset- already on yes

Are there any other changes I need to make to get the remote start function?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Today I added the push buttons to one of my key fobs for remote start and tailgate release. Tailgate release worked like a charm…need to add the damper strut. When I went in and made changed with the ALphaOBD and hit the remote start I get a horn blast but the truck does not start. I made the following changes:
1. Vehconfig 1 Remote start preset-yes
2. CBC conf I/O connector A pin 11 hood adjar input preset- already on yes

Are there any other changes I need to make to get the remote start function?
It may take a bit to work, also do you have your foot on the brake by chance? Look at the dash when you try to start it it will tell you if there is an issue if not just try after a drive it may start working

Burtk5687

Reaction score
It may take a bit to work, also do you have your foot on the brake by chance? Look at the dash when you try to start it it will tell you if there is an issue if not just try after a drive it may start working
I was outside the truck. Doors locked and hit the remote start on the fob. The horn beeped but did nothing. The dash said push brake and ignition to start. I have not drove it yet.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I was outside the truck. Doors locked and hit the remote start on the fob. The horn beeped but did nothing. The dash said push brake and ignition to start. I have not drove it yet.
You need to drive the truck over 30 mph before remote start will become active once enabling it.

Burtk5687

Reaction score
Thats done on the radio under settings
I checked there. Doesn’t show. From what I read need to make the change in Cust. Prob. Features: sound horn on remote start
That should allow me to pull it up in the radio settings

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I checked there. Doesn’t show. From what I read need to make the change in Cust. Prob. Features: sound horn on remote start
That should allow me to pull it up in the radio settings
Not Cust. Prog. Features. That will just toggle it on or off like the radio setting does. If you want the setting to show up in the radio, you’ll need to set CustSetMenu 1: Sound Horn with Remote Start CSM Present to YES

TxRam

Reaction score
So after me realizing that I was making AlfaOBD more complicated than it was, I figured out how to change setting. Thanks to this thread specifically, this site in general, remote start turned on, horn (remote start) option displayed on my radio, and no errors for my trouble.

2022 Tradesman, 8.4" not-NAV.

RamRoadWarrior

Reaction score
Are you all doing this to a newer truck say like a 2021? Looking to add remote start to a 2021 3500 tradesman that is a cab and chassis truck.

wyleam1066

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for all your research and experience you all are sharing. Can I just ground the pin 11 inside the cab instead of adding a resistor? My Tradesman doesn't have the cable connection to the latch.
Also, I saw a post in the forum somewhere about using the existing Keyfobs and soldering micro buttons to them instead of buying new fobs and having them programmed by the stealerships. Any ideas if this is doable? Thanks for the feedback.

Jgouldski

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for all your research and experience you all are sharing. Can I just ground the pin 11 inside the cab instead of adding a resistor? My Tradesman doesn't have the cable connection to the latch.
Also, I saw a post in the forum somewhere about using the existing Keyfobs and soldering micro buttons to them instead of buying new fobs and having them programmed by the stealerships. Any ideas if this is doable? Thanks for the feedback.
Can't answer your first question, but yes you can just solder buttons onto your existing fobs. All fobs come with the required circuitry, just no buttons if your truck wasn't optioned with remote start or remote tailgate release. You can test the tailgate release by removing the rubber fob cover to access the circuit board, then jumping the 4 connection points with a wire - the remote tailgate release button is the 2nd row, left side button (obviously still need battery power connected). Just be aware that if you do not have the dampener on the tailgate, it will not slowly lower and will slam down unless you soften the blow yourself.

Remote start needs the hood latch sensor or to have the circuit grounded, and some changes to the BCM, which can be done with AlfaOBD (achieving the same as getting the dealer to do the changes).

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The latch wire can be grounded under the fusebox with a resistor in line and yes you can add the micro switches i did it and its problem free no need to spend 600$ on new fobs

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Not Cust. Prog. Features. That will just toggle it on or off like the radio setting does. If you want the setting to show up in the radio, you’ll need to set CustSetMenu 1: Sound Horn with Remote Start CSM Present to YES
Just talked to the service dept at my local dealer and they said that to enable remote start it would take adding some module and the programming. Also said he didn’t think remote tail gate would work by just adding the button. I didn’t argue with him even though thru this thread I know he’s wrong. Guess I’ll be getting tjr alpha obd stuff to do these things myself. Can someone please tell me what I would need to get ? Thanks in advance !!!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just talked to the service dept at my local dealer and they said that to enable remote start it would take adding some module and the programming. Also said he didn’t think remote tail gate would work by just adding the button. I didn’t argue with him even though thru this thread I know he’s wrong. Guess I’ll be getting tjr alpha obd stuff to do these things myself. Can someone please tell me what I would need to get ? Thanks in advance !!!
They think that because the 4th gens needed a module, i told my service dept to just do it anyway and ill add the module later then proved to them they were wrong also proved them wrong on the key

Ppss0311

Reaction score
You can use Jscan to enable remote start for iOS devices. You would still need a security gateway bypass and the OBDLink MX+.
So after me realizing that I was making AlfaOBD more complicated than it was, I figured out how to change setting. Thanks to this thread specifically, this site in general, remote start turned on, horn (remote start) option displayed on my radio, and no errors for my trouble.

2022 Tradesman, 8.4" nonot-NAV.
In order to use alfaobd, you have to install some bypass kaodtech cable? Is the cable difficult to install?

2022 Tradesman, 8.4" not-NAV.

Users who are viewing this thread