Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REFERENCE: 2019+ Power Wagon Armor

areuriding

Reaction score
Yep, I'd be interested in Power Wagon stuff. Agree with above, steel would sell like crazy.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I’ll talk to them about both aluminum and steel and see what the differences with cost and weight would be.

Aluminum skid plates aren’t a new thing and they’re pretty strong.

areuriding

Reaction score
I was thinking of figuring out a way to do some mock ups when my truck comes in and then seeing what I could come up with for full protection underneath. There's a metal fabricator near me..

el_barto

Reaction score
I would be interested, but I will say that aluminum is not going to take big hits very well. If they make it out of steel, they would probably sell a bunch.
Yeah, aluminum is strong for its weight, but has to be pretty thick to be strong enough to take the force of a rock with the weight of these trucks coming down. I don’t think weight is a huge concern for these trucks; they already weigh a lot and have plenty of power so the extra weight isn’t going to slow it down. The only consideration is the limited payload/gvwr on power wagons, but i think we all know they do ok even when technical overloaded.

jadmt

Reaction score
I would sell my dethloff tranny skid for $432 but shipping would be killer and not really feasible.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I would sell my dethloff tranny skid for $432 but shipping would be killer and not really feasible.
Not running an engine skid anymore or did you get something custom made?

jadmt

Reaction score
Not running an engine skid anymore or did you get something custom made?
Took it off when I was getting warranty work done and i am on the fence about putting it back on. I suppose i should Just put it back on.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Took it off when I was getting warranty work done and i am on the fence about putting it back on. I suppose i should Just put it back on.
I mean, I’d recommend it, but if you decide not to, Missoula isn’t that terribly far from me.

el_barto

Reaction score
I’m actually pretty surprised my Dethloff skid doesn’t really have any witness marks/scratches, especially since the hoops are relatively low. My rock sliders, front diff guard, radius arms, rear diff housing and most of the stock skids all have taken hits/ have some scratches. BUT I feel much more confident knowing the transmission and oil pan are well protected. Better to have it and never need it, than to not have it and have needed it.

Last edited:

jadmt

Reaction score
I’m actually pretty surprised my Dethloff skid doesn’t really have any witness marks/scratches, especially since the hoops are relatively low. My rock sliders, front diff guard, radius arms, rear diff housing and most of the stock skids all have taken hits/ have some scratches. BUT I feel much more confident knowing the transmission and oil pan are well protected. Better to have it and never need it, than to not have it and have needed it.
yes it does add some confidence for sure but for what I am doing kind of just added weight. I wheel a lot but I am not doing KOH or BFE type stuff.

MDethloff

Reaction score
Wish they would start making them again. I've been checking for months with no luck.
I'm stoked to say that we're back on the main project now. This military project was a huge detour from the skid plates. We just figured out last week how to make the new generation of skid plates in a way that is super robust and way easier to install than the first generation. We've been through at least five complete iterations of prototypes that have made it on trucks for the new style for both the gas and diesel engines. Some of it was too expensive to produce, some were too heavy. The original skid plates were super robust and we made a ton of them but they also took a lot of time to manufacture and had to be made as matched sets where the pieces from each set were paired together even after we started doing 5-axis tube laser cutting to produce them. I think we've nailed it on the newest model!

We've also got a number of protection items we were able to knock out in the interim that're coming out ;) Some more 1500 and diesel protection items, but the BIG one is something really special that goes on the 2500/3500 trucks, both gas and diesel, and was developed specifically to work with the Power Wagon winch that is going to add a TON of capability to these trucks. That's going to be a package item that you can run from mild to wild based on how you want to build it out, but I'm absolutely stoked for it. We just got the final prototype on the trucks and are ready to roll with it! More details soon, I'll share pics when I have a chance to take them :)

Marcus

UglyViking

Reaction score
I'm stoked to say that we're back on the main project now. This military project was a huge detour from the skid plates. We just figured out last week how to make the new generation of skid plates in a way that is super robust and way easier to install than the first generation. We've been through at least five complete iterations of prototypes that have made it on trucks for the new style for both the gas and diesel engines. Some of it was too expensive to produce, some were too heavy. The original skid plates were super robust and we made a ton of them but they also took a lot of time to manufacture and had to be made as matched sets where the pieces from each set were paired together even after we started doing 5-axis tube laser cutting to produce them. I think we've nailed it on the newest model!

We've also got a number of protection items we were able to knock out in the interim that're coming out ;) Some more 1500 and diesel protection items, but the BIG one is something really special that goes on the 2500/3500 trucks, both gas and diesel, and was developed specifically to work with the Power Wagon winch that is going to add a TON of capability to these trucks. That's going to be a package item that you can run from mild to wild based on how you want to build it out, but I'm absolutely stoked for it. We just got the final prototype on the trucks and are ready to roll with it! More details soon, I'll share pics when I have a chance to take them :)

Marcus
I both love and hate this comment. Why are you teasing so much!

showmethemoney.gif

areuriding

Reaction score
That's awesome!!! Please get some pics and details out as soon as you can. I'm specifically looking for stuff that works on a 2023 Power Wagon.

Aaandroger

Reaction score

Marcus
Great to hear Marcus. Looking forward to all of the new offerings.

jsalbre

Reaction score

Marcus
Glad to hear it. Any time frame on the skids? I’m interested in seeing what else you have, but getting an engine skid ASAP is vital for some trips I have coming up and if you’re about to release yours I’d rather get it than start working with a shop on something custom on a platform they’ve not worked on before.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Glad to hear it. Any time frame on the skids? I’m interested in seeing what else you have, but getting an engine skid ASAP is vital for some trips I have coming up and if you’re about to release yours I’d rather get it than start working with a shop on something custom on a platform they’ve not worked on before.

Lordy, where are you going?

Aaandroger

Reaction score
Looks like a front skid that will replace the CJC intercooler guard. And it has light cut outs?

It's fine. I just paid off the credit card.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread